What's new

SVS SB-2000 or PB-2000 (1 Viewer)

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
I'm wondering which would be the better way to go. Room size is 19x10x10.

Most of the time TV/Movies are on. The rest is music... figure around 25%.

Any reason one is better than the other? I see one is sealed, one is ported.

Thanks,

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Well it seems the ported version will give you higher volume/output, and the cost of it being much larger.

Right now I have a Polk PSW505, which is loud enough for me. The volume knob is at the 1/2 point, receiver is set at -5 (IIRC).

I don't know which is the right sub for me. I'm sure either sub is a giant leap in quality.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
erew99 said:
Well it seems the ported version will give you higher volume/output, and the cost of it being much larger.

Right now I have a Polk PSW505, which is loud enough for me. The volume knob is at the 1/2 point, receiver is set at -5 (IIRC).

I don't know which is the right sub for me. I'm sure either sub is a giant leap in quality.
Its the frequency extension not just loudness, the ported will go lower with less distortion and is better suited for movies and your room. I think HSU might also do some at the price you are looking at.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Since music is a lower priority, I'd agree that the vented one would likely be a better choice. Sealed subs will still hit the lows, just not with the same authority of a low tuned vented sub. Since I listen to a lot of music, I tend to prefer sealed, but I've owned plenty of vented subs as well. HSU's VTF (variable tuning frequency) offerings allow you the ability to configure the sub for a "cleaner" sound with more output or more extension for movie listening.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Any thoughts on the PB1000? The reason I ask is it's dimensions. Smaller, fits under my table in the corner. Since the room is only 10' wide, I need to conserve space as well.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
erew99 said:
Any thoughts on the PB1000? The reason I ask is it's dimensions. Smaller, fits under my table in the corner. Since the room is only 10' wide, I need to conserve space as well.
The table in the corner may not be the best place for your subwoofer, i recommend an SPL meter and some tones to find out if you have room modes that may cause issues in that spot, always best to get the optimum position for your subwoofer.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
I've done this test in the past. I felt it sounded best in the corner. I tried 4 different places and ended up in that particular corner.

I've used an SPL meter, but find it difficult to use for the subwoofer. C-weighted/Slow.

Will the PB1000 put the PSW505 to shame!? :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Anything(at the same price) puts the PSW505 to shame.

The PSW505 doesn't even outperform the BIC F12(of course the BIC F12 is a HSU design. BIC does not hide the fact they went to HSU for the design).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
erew99 said:
I've done this test in the past. I felt it sounded best in the corner. I tried 4 different places and ended up in that particular corner.

I've used an SPL meter, but find it difficult to use for the subwoofer. C-weighted/Slow.

Will the PB1000 put the PSW505 to shame!? :)
It may be different for a different sub, but the corner is a fine starting point. The PB2000 could replace your table... :) The PB1000 won't fill a large room, but if space is a concern and the room isn't too big the PB1000 is a good option.

From HSU, the VTF-3 would be a closer competitor to the PB2000, but the VTF-3 is for large rooms and I think the PB2000 will likely be as well.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
I'll take some measurements later. Considering my room is 20x10x10 I'll try to see what HSU and SVS offer.

Are there any other subs you would recommend for $500-$800?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
SVS PB2000 looks like my best bet. They have outlet specials for $729.99 right now.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Thanks for all the great advice. I spoke with SVS customer service. They are suggesting the PB-1000 for my room size.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
erew99 said:
Thanks for all the great advice. I spoke with SVS customer service. They are suggesting the PB-1000 for my room size.
Unless you can buy two of them i'd ignore their great advice and go for the PB-2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks