What's new

Sgt. Bilko box set coming? (1 Viewer)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
My friend Steve Everitt just posted this on his FB page:

Email just received regarding some positive news regarding a complete 4 season box set of The Phil Silvers Show! Watch out for further updates!

We are a UK based DVD publisher who have recently acquired the home video rights for Sgt. Bilko. The plan is to release a complete collection of all four seasons in one bumper box set, and wondered whether I might be able to enlist your support in this project. Not sure how yet, but I suspect you know the show and fans better than I do so anything that could be added to make this a great set would be useful. I have some added extras from the the DVD sets that Paramount put out themselves and I am planning on speaking with the BBC regarding the programmes Bilko on Parade and Phil Silvers appearance on Parkinson. Please drop me line if you think you might be able to assist in this project.

Steve and a few others "across the pond" have been pushing for a release for a long time even going to the length of contacting CBS HE repeatedly. If/when I hear more, I'll post it!

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
According to posts in the Phil Silvers Appreciation Society group on FB, it looks as if Shout might also be in the running to get a release out. Now whether or not that would be in conjuction with this other company or not, I don't know. I really hope we see a US release in conjuction with a UK release. Here's the post:

Mick Clews The third party in question is SHOUT.....there's a possibility that a full DVD release may be on the cards...but no definite deal has been set yet....we can but hope!

Edited to add that the above post from Mick Clews was almost a month ago. The post I started is "current" news as of today.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
This is great news. I have an all-region player, and I think it's worth investing in one for this series and the other ones available in PAL format .

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
So long as it comes out somewhere, I don't care where. That's what region free players are for. Seriously, its 2014, are we really still worried about region coding?

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
If they got this one licensed, thatrops my CBS complaint list to only two:

1) Not finishing Cannon

2) Not giving My Three Sons a fair chance.

Either way, great news on Bilko!

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Frank Soyke said:

1) Not finishing Cannon

I feel the same way, but I want to add my current holy grail show, Barnaby Jones, to the list.

If CBS would release this and the rest of Cannon, I think I would be satisfied with their output.

I'm growing more and more frustrated with their slow release schedule. If they don't plan to release Barnaby Jones, sell the rights to someone else!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Frank Soyke said:

1) Not finishing Cannon

The music substitutions sunk My Three Sons. It would be great if the black and white episodes were licensed abroad. Fred Douglas is not going to be hurt by a 5% speed up.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Neil Brock said:
So long as it comes out somewhere, I don't care where. That's what region free players are for. Seriously, its 2014, are we really still worried about region coding?
Amazingly US player manufacturers still seem to unwilling to sell multi-region players. For example I have my eyer on an OPPO , but it only plays NTSC.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Fortunately, I am set up for region-free action. Thus, if this comes in from across the pond only, I am prepared. But if Shout! can make this happen in its entirety, somehow...that, too, would be welcome all the same!!!

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
LouA said:
Amazingly US player manufacturers still seem to unwilling to sell multi-region players. For example I have my eyer on an OPPO , but it only plays NTSC.
Oppo can output NTSC and PAL, and I'm pretty sure can convert NTSC -> PAL or PAL -> NTSC. I use it to output natively since my device support both PAL and NTSC sources.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
smithbrad said:
Oppo can output NTSC and PAL, and I'm pretty sure can convert NTSC -> PAL or PAL -> NTSC. I use it to output natively since my device support both PAL and NTSC sources.
That's good news since I'll be buying one soon.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Neil Brock said:
That depends on how annoying PAL audio distortion can be for some people. I for one get very annoyed when I hear the theme music of a show from a PAL source consistently in too high a key and too fast compared to what it's supposed to sound like. That can be a fingernails on the blackboard experience if its a musical piece I'm very familiar with. I've only accepted PAL source material for certain R1 releases like "Isis" because that's all we'll ever have, but in general the whole audio distortion issue is one reason why I tend to shun foreign region releases.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
91WzockHkSL._SL1500_.jpg

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Great case. I hope SHOUT! releases it here so the PAL thing won't be an issue.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
JoeDoakes said:
Great case. I hope SHOUT! releases it here so the PAL thing won't be an issue.
I'll be very disappointed if there is no region 1 release for this. I do not own a region free DVD player nor do I plan to purchase one. I want to mark this off my holy grail list. I think SHOUT! is our best hope for this release.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Even though I have a region free player, this isn't a title that justifies the expenditure to be played on one machine only and in a compromised PAL format. For the moment, I can get by with one full season and the "Best Of" set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks