Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Stalingrad (2013) Blu-ray available May 13th (no Blu-ray 3D?)

Sony Pictures

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   McCrutchy

McCrutchy

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted March 08 2014 - 11:30 PM

Stalingrad Blu-ray

I wonder if this will be another native 3D release that a major studio neglects to release on Blu-ray 3D in the US. 

For those who don't know, Stalingrad (2013), is the first Russian film shot in native 3D, Sony released it in an exclusive limited engagement in IMAX DMR 3D, on February 28th, 2014. I was actually able to see the film at my local AMC theater last week in this engagement.

So far, the only confirmed 3D release is the Russian Blu-ray 3D, which came out in December 2013, and is not English-friendly.

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,617 posts

Posted March 09 2014 - 08:11 AM

Yeah, this is a little disturbing to hear given that this is yet another studio holding

back on 3D Blu-ray releases.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   phillyrobt

phillyrobt

Stunt Coordinator

• 166 posts

Posted March 09 2014 - 08:33 AM

261 minutes? 

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,227 posts

Posted March 09 2014 - 01:23 PM

Running time is listed as 131 min on the IMDB.

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   McCrutchy

McCrutchy

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted March 09 2014 - 03:01 PM

Running time is listed as 131 min on the IMDB.

IMDb is accurate, the film runs 131 minutes, so the listing is either conbining the run times of the 3D and non-3D versions (and losing a minute in the process), or there are 130 minutes of extras.

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 10 2014 - 12:08 PM

It's counting the left and right images separately.

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   aPhil

aPhil

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted March 10 2014 - 01:23 PM

Just a bit of correction -- "Stalingrad" is not the first Russian film shot in native 3D (as they shot native 3D before I was born). It is the first Russian film shot digitally for Imax in native 3D.

I saw it in Imax 3D on March 2 (2014) at the Regal Palladium theater in High Point, NC, where their projection is usually spot-on, as it was for this presentation. As much as I feel that all 3D movies should be made available in 3D for Blu-ray, I will say that the Imax screen size was far more immersive than the 3D.

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 905 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted March 10 2014 - 01:51 PM

Check IMDb for data on the Russian Robinson Crusoe (Robinson Kruzo), made in 1946, Quote: "First Soviet 3-D feature film. The process used, Stereokino, was the first to dispense with anaglyptic spectacles".

It was shown last year in L.A. during the 3D Film Expo. It's a spectacular film. Great depth effects and WOW moments. No subtitles, but who needs them in this story?

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   SFMike

SFMike

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted March 11 2014 - 09:57 AM

Very disappointing but another indicator that the studios aren't seeing enough profit from Blu-ray 3D releases. I was looking forward to this one too. Maybe we can get a european import.

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,486 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted March 11 2014 - 10:09 AM

I don't think the missing 3D here needs batched in with Frozen.

The number of people wanting this movie is paltry compared to, pretty much everything else.

Maybe, just maybe, the studios are getting the hint that lots of the market have figured out to buy region-free players(stretch I know...) and are willing to let specific markets have 3D(I can see Germany being the stalwart here) and just export it...for those that care.

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?

• 1,341 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted March 11 2014 - 03:31 PM

I wanted to see this at the theaters with my son, who's also a World War II buff, but it's gone in this market already. Is it worth picking up? We were disappointed in Monuments Men, but this obviously promises to have more battle stuff, and we both loved Enemy at the Gates.

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,227 posts

Posted March 26 2014 - 01:50 PM

It seems that the 3D version is included after all, from the Bits:

"Sony has set Stalingrad (2013) for Blu-ray 3D combo release on 5/13 (SRP $35.99 and $30.99). Extras on the Blu-ray will include The Making of Stalingrad and obviously the 3D version."

The cover also mentions 3D.
  • cafink likes this

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Ruly2

Ruly2

Second Unit

• 425 posts

Posted March 26 2014 - 01:57 PM

staingrad 3d blu.jpg

• cafink likes this

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   SFMike

SFMike

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted March 26 2014 - 02:26 PM

Alright!! They have my pre-order.

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   McCrutchy

McCrutchy

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted May 13 2014 - 04:25 PM

FYI--Both 2D and 3D discs in this release are REGION A LOCKED.

I have sampled this release, and it is a bit strange. For one thing, despite the region-coding, there are optional Russian subtitles for non-Russian dialogue only, but they are not part of the menus, and must be enabled using your remote.

The big problem, though, is his film begins with a Japanese-language voice over, because the frame story for the main narrative is set during the Japanese Tsunami of 2011. In the US IMAX 3D theatrical release, this narration was unaltered and subtitled. On the English and French DUB tracks on the Blu-ray, it is similarly unaltered, however, on the Russian audio track on the Blu-ray, this Japanese narration has also been overdubbed with Russian voice-over (i.e. a female Russian speaker speaking over the Japanese dialogue). This is extremely annoying and jarring, since this Japanese is the first dialogue heard in the film, and again, this was not how the film was presented in theaters in the USA. The German dialogue appears unaffected, and remains in its original language with relevant subtitles, regardless of which audio track is selected, except on the French track, where German is spoken in the 2011 frame story--this dialogue has been dubbed into French on that track.

I have called SPHE and spoken with a representative. What is strange is that they are telling me that this title should not even be out until May 27th. I was told they will look into the matter and get back to me within a week.

The extras have been divided, with one featurette, The Making of Stalingrad (480i, 11:34) appearing on the 2D disc, and the other featurette, Stereoscopic Stalingrad (1080p, 5:34), appearing on the 3D disc (ironically, this featurette is in 2D). Beyond that, there are forced, but skippable previews on both discs for other Sony titles.

The 3D disc refuses to play on 2D systems, so those with only 2D systems will miss out on the Stereoscopic Stalingrad featurette.

• phillyrobt likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sony Pictures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users