Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Fanless Home Theatre PC

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Watts803

• 1 posts

Posted March 05 2014 - 01:31 PM

I saw this on digitaltrends.com today, and I think this might be what I've been looking for. I've wanted something quiet and fanless to put in my living room. My needs are mostly web streaming, office apps, and a little gaming. Has anyone else seen this? What do you guys think? http://www.indiegogo...-multi-media-pc

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Type A

Type A

Supporting Actor

• 801 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted March 06 2014 - 04:48 AM

I think its a hefty price for office apps and web surfing, both I consider highly impractical applications in a living room environment, HTPC or not. The price puts it in direct competition with other media players, except the competition has a blu ray drive as standard equipment. Despite what manufacturers would have you think a keyboard and mouse are no substitute for a IR remote control for most of the apps you will use on a Cerberus, zero mention of such a creature on their site. Everything else is covered by a well-equipped blu ray player, at a fraction of the cost. Smart TV, blu ray and console apps are not limited to just a few apps, at least thats not my experience. PC gaming has been on its way out since last generation consoles. I just cant see what this brings new to the table that is practical to use in a living room environment. I suppose if you have a specific need for specific applications then its worth another source but for me it would have to fully replace other sources and justify replacement of those sources, in full, to find a place in my cabinet.
JVC DLA-RS60U3D & DaLite High Power 106"
Paradigm Studio V.5 20 (5) & ADP590 (2)  
Hsu VTF-2 MK3 (2) & MBM-12 MK2 (2)

Yamaha RX-A3010 & Emotiva XPA5
Oppo BDP93 & Darbee DVP 5000

*My Home Theater Photo Journal*

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,740 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted March 06 2014 - 06:36 AM

I have a Lenovo IdeaCentre from 4 generations ago. One of those "meant exactly for this". Mine could be mounted to the VESA, but mine just sits there.It cost less, 4 years ago, than this does. I'd move up to Windows 8, but...I have reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users