• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 of 58 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,174 posts

Posted March 14 2014 - 12:30 PM

Dave,

I use IE.  But I can see if it will come up in either or both of those two browsers.

#22 of 58 Dave Upton

Dave Upton

Owner

• 811 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted March 14 2014 - 01:11 PM

Remember, it will show up if you're not logged in. You have to be logged in to HTF to prevent these ads from showing.

#23 of 58 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,174 posts

Posted March 14 2014 - 03:55 PM

Dave,

I mentioned above (#18) that I always get the ads when I am logged in.

#24 of 58 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,174 posts

Posted March 15 2014 - 05:20 AM

Dave,

Okay, I don't know if this will help.  But I have the image on my screen and can cut-and-paste the information I have from it.

http://netshelterdig..._details_n1.jpg

I also checked a box which read: Block images from Netshelterdigital.checkm8.com.  I've not seen that option before, so perhaps this will work. :)

#25 of 58 Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted March 15 2014 - 05:51 AM

I get an ad about "HP Officejet Por X" when I click on the above link- I don't think that is correct ?????? Otherwise I don't have any problems with ads.

#26 of 58 Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,643 posts

Posted March 17 2014 - 06:59 AM

Annoying_pop_up_ad.jpg

I'm logged in and this bloody thing opened up and started playing over the forum.

• Domelo likes this
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#27 of 58 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,174 posts

Posted March 17 2014 - 07:24 AM

Neil,

Yep, that's the one.  I haven't seen it for a day or two now.

Edit: It's still there.

#28 of 58 Domelo

Domelo

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 12:51 AM

attachicon.gifAnnoying_pop_up_ad.jpg

I'm logged in and this bloody thing opened up and started playing over the forum.

Moderator edit: We do not encourage the use of ad blockers on our site. We in fact ask our members to whitelist our site in general.

#29 of 58 Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted March 18 2014 - 08:46 AM

A question why do I not have this problem? "Whar % of people have this problem?????

#30 of 58 Dave Upton

Dave Upton

Owner

• 811 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted March 18 2014 - 10:10 AM

We don't know Sumner, because unfortunately we don't have very good insight onto who gets which ad unit. We're trying to figure this out, but are still working at it.

#31 of 58 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted March 22 2014 - 07:39 PM

I've also been logged in when the ad appeared, both at home and at work. I've been on vacation for a couple weeks, but have not seen the ad since I returned a couple days ago.

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#32 of 58 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,651 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted March 22 2014 - 08:15 PM

The other class of bad-egg ads I get are for iOS games, which auto launch the App Store. They kick me out of safari and into the App Store on my iPad. I had one just this week.

#33 of 58 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,651 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 08:02 AM

So this is new:

http://sponsor.adver...815013592022174

Took over the screen, blocking me from content. A video started playing. The "Go To Site" link didn't work. The close button did.

I hope this isn't a preview of things to come.

#34 of 58 Dave Upton

Dave Upton

Owner

• 811 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted March 24 2014 - 07:38 PM

Dave, Nothing to worry about. It's not. We simply fight against garbage ads in the inventory of our network like anyone else. We filter the obtrusive ads out for logged in members, but generally speaking, all you need to do is send us a link and truly unreasonable ads will be blocked.
  • Radioman970 likes this

#35 of 58 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,651 posts

Posted March 25 2014 - 03:43 AM

I guess that's the part I didn't understand: your advertising vendor actively works against you.

#36 of 58 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted March 25 2014 - 07:08 PM

This is still coming up when logged in. Here are a couple more snips of info. Not sure if it's anything new/useful:

HTF ad2.JPG

HTF ad1.JPG

#37 of 58 Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins

• 1,983 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted March 26 2014 - 07:43 PM

Thanks Malcolm.  

I had traced this down initially to an "upgrade" that was made on our back end that nuked what sets of groups were being exposed to these ads and which ones were not.  I corrected that and it made sense based on the folks that were complaining about the ads and what groups they were in and which groups were not being excluded for certain ad units.

However, I checked on the groups that you are in and you should not be seeing the ads.  

The screen grab is good and that ad should only show up if this type of ad is being displayed (see below).  Let me know if you are seeing ads in these locations and if you are, then that at least explains why you are seeing the "floating 728x90" ad unit on the bottom of the page, which if hovered over will expand to the almost full page ad.  

Guest are the only group of folks that are supposed to be seeing this type of ad.  Members are only supposed to see 4 ads on the page at any one time and those are never supposed to be inline with the forum posts.  There should be one 728x90 on the top of the page and one on the bottom of the page. There should be two 300x250's on the right side bar.  

If there are 970's or 720's in between posts or topics, then there is something wrong with our system for restricting those types of ads.  When I am logged in I don't see them, when I am logged out I do see them.  Since this seems to be random, there might be something else going on when our back end was upgraded as I have had these types of ad units in the system for months.  The complaints started coming in around the time that part of our backend was upgraded.

Below is a working example of where a normal 970 ad unit would appear (see red circle), but it is being replaced by the ad unit that you see on the top and the bottom of the screen.  The part that will help me out tremendously is letting me know if you see that space or an ad in that space in between topics.

AdExample#1.jpg

The second example is after the first post in a topic.  If you see a 728 ad unit there (circled in red), then you also shouldn't be seeing that as you are a logged in member (assuming you are logged in).  

AdExample#2.jpg

LMK if you see either of the indicators of those ad units in between the 1st and 2nd topic and in between the 1st and 2nd post.  That will give me something to really troubleshoot.  Sorry about this, our goal is NOT to interrupt members experiences on the forum with bothersome ads.  We want to encourage non-logged in visitors to become members so they don't see those ads.

In the future we are investigating a mechanism for members to be "ad-free".  

Kevin Collins
To View My HD Collection Click Here

#38 of 58 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted April 03 2014 - 10:10 AM

Coming to the forum today I was greeted with this:

Attached Thumbnails

• HTF login.JPG

#39 of 58 Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins

• 1,983 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted April 03 2014 - 11:38 PM

I have NO IDEA where that is coming from... Dave do you have any clues?  What would be referencing to that site?  It's definitely not an ad unit.  I went to the site and it is for image posting...

Kevin Collins

#40 of 58 Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins

• 1,983 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted April 03 2014 - 11:39 PM

At any rate, has anyone seen the types of ads I was describing above while they are logged in?

Kevin Collins

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users