What's new

Please Stop banner ads (1 Viewer)

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Peter,We always try to keep ads to a respectful minimum, however they are necessary in order to support the forum and pay for bandwidth, servers, software licenses and many other things.

What resolution do you have your monitor set to? If it's too small, you could conceivably have some issues.

Also, in the future we will be launching a paid membership that removes all advertising other than sponsors, which may suit your needs.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm all for paid membership. I will be first in line. I have been without adblock for a bit now but the shitty sites that keep putting autoplay with sound, pop arounds on mouseover etc. are wearing me down. Sad to say that it's going to hurt the top tier sites worse than the garbage ones....

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Dave,Is the HP Officejet ProX (lower left-hand corner of my PC) a legitimate HTF ad or is it something else? It eventually rolls up my screen whenever I log on. It's been there for a few weeks. I just close it out each time it appears. If it is legitimate, I understand. But if not and if there is any way to make it vanish, please let me know. Thanks.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
That's not us. We don't hav any roll-up type ads. Our only legitimate ads for logged in users are the banners at the top and bottom, and the two sidebar banners on the right (300x250).

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Sam Posten said:
I'm all for paid membership. I will be first in line. I have been without adblock for a bit now but the shitty sites that keep putting autoplay with sound, pop arounds on mouseover etc. are wearing me down. Sad to say that it's going to hurt the top tier sites worse than the garbage ones....
We will work on it. I'm going to start doing some testing/research and hopefully in a few weeks we'll have something ready to launch.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Dave Upton said:
That's not us. We don't hav any roll-up type ads. Our only legitimate ads for logged in users are the banners at the top and bottom, and the two sidebar banners on the right (300x250).
Dave,Okay, thanks.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ockeghem said:
Dave,Is the HP Officejet ProX (lower left-hand corner of my PC) a legitimate HTF ad or is it something else? It eventually rolls up my screen whenever I log on. It's been there for a few weeks. I just close it out each time it appears. If it is legitimate, I understand. But if not and if there is any way to make it vanish, please let me know. Thanks.
I also got this when opening the After Hours Lounge forum.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Can you send a screen shot? We're trying to track down bad ads, so that would be helpful.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Dave,

I have two images (one which is quite small and begins in the lower left-hand corner of the screen before it scrolls) and a second image once the initial image is enlarged. However, I am unable to upload them via the HTF image icon provided in the menu above. I will keep trying. Perhaps Malcolm can upload an image without any problem.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
HTF HP banner.JPG

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Malcolm,Thanks. That's the one. :)

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
Malcolm R said:
Hmmm, that ad unit should only be showing up if you are not logged in. I had specific code in our site to only display those ads to users that are not logged in. Just to make sure, where you logged in when you saw it? I know sometimes I come back to the site and I am not logged in and have to re-log in.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Kevin,I was logged in every time I saw (and continue to see) the ad Malcolm included in his post above.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Dave,Just an update. The rolling image that Malcolm posted an image of above is still often there (it resides in the lower left-hand corner). And once I attempt to move to a thread, it begins to scroll up and enlarge itself requiring me to close it via an 'X'. I'm just letting you know.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
We cannot track this down without some more information. If you use Chrome or Firefox, can you please send us the source code referencing that ad when it pops up?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks