Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TCFHE Press Release: Fargo (4k Remastered Blu-ray)

Fox

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,579 posts

Posted March 05 2014 - 06:57 AM

img1.jpg

Fargo
The “middle of nowhere” has never looked better in this new edition, now remastered for the best high-definition picture yet! In this film Nominated for seven OSCARS®, * things go terribly awry when small-time Minnesota car salesman Jerry Lundegaard (William H. Macy) hires two thugs (Steve Buscemi and Peter Stormare) to kidnap his wife so he can collect the ransom from his wealthy father-in-law. Once people start dying, the very chipper and very pregnant Police Chief Marge (Frances McDormand) takes the case. Will she stop at nothing until she gets her man? You betcha.

Special Features
  Feature Audio Commentary with Director of Photography Roger A. Deakins
  Minnesota Nice
  Trivia Track
  American Cinematographer Article
  Photo Gallery
  Theatrical Trailer
  TV Spot

Fargo Blu-ray 
Street Date: April 1, 2014
Prebook Date: March 5, 2014
Screen Format: Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English DTS-HD MA 5.1
  Spanish DTS 5.1
  French DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English/Spanish/French
U.S. Rating: R
Total Run Time: 140 minutes
Closed Captioned: Yes

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 23 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,579 posts

Posted March 05 2014 - 07:00 AM

I am still at odds whether I am going to do an upgrade or not.

I own the original Blu-ray release, which as of today, can be purchased

for under $6 from Amazon.

Don't know how much better this remastered release can be.

Still thinking about pulling the trigger on a repurchase.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 23 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,048 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 05 2014 - 07:10 AM

I am still at odds whether I am going to do an upgrade or not.

I own the original Blu-ray release, which as of today, can be purchased

for under $6 from Amazon.

Don't know how much better this remastered release can be.

Still thinking about pulling the trigger on a repurchase.

To me it depends on how much you like this film and how often you'll watch it.  It's not one of my favorites so the original BD release is good enough for me.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#4 of 23 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,468 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted March 05 2014 - 08:20 AM

I still have the DVD, saw no reason to get the BD.

#5 of 23 OFFLINE   Mark VH

Mark VH

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted March 05 2014 - 08:45 AM

I still have the DVD, saw no reason to get the BD.

Curious as to why? It's one of the most beautiful films from arguably the greatest living cinematographer, so seeing it in high-def seems like more than enough of a reason to upgrade to the BD, especially at the ridiculously low price Amazon is offering it for. Unless for some reason you don't care that much for the film?

• Mark Walker likes this

#6 of 23 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,468 posts

Posted March 05 2014 - 09:16 AM

I like movie. I'll just never fire up my projector for it. The biggest screen I've watched it on Is a Hitachi 50" ALiS.

#7 of 23 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 772 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted March 05 2014 - 02:27 PM

I have the Blu Ray, so this new Blu Ray, with no new Bonus features, is not worth the expense to me. If there were new Bonus Features, I would double dip.

I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#8 of 23 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,468 posts

Posted March 05 2014 - 03:44 PM

Oh yeah, I see the Charlie Rose bit is still not here(another reason I'm satisfied with the DVD)

#9 of 23 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted March 05 2014 - 03:50 PM

The old release of Fargo was edge enhanced and had some halo's clearly visible on many of the outside snow scenes, it actually doesn't look film like, it looks digital and a new 4K film scan and encode will improve on the old release, of that i am sure,

• Mark Walker likes this

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#10 of 23 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted April 04 2014 - 09:10 AM

People often tell me they cannot see the edge halo's on certain releases, well here you go folks, look at this closely, it's very obvious, the new re-master of Fargo is a huge improvement over the old one, much, much better release.  Link below.

Take note of the over sharpened film grain and harshness of the original, just because you see grain doesn't mean it's good.

http://caps-a-holic....less=#vergleich

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#11 of 23 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,134 posts

Posted April 04 2014 - 11:47 AM

Picked this up for $6 in the FoxConnect 50% off sale (along with the new ROCKY). I won't get it for a month, but hey, for the price of a pint, I'm not complaining.

#12 of 23 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,048 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 05 2014 - 01:42 AM

People often tell me they cannot see the edge halo's on certain releases, well here you go folks, look at this closely, it's very obvious, the new re-master of Fargo is a huge improvement over the old one, much, much better release.  Link below.

Take note of the over sharpened film grain and harshness of the original, just because you see grain doesn't mean it's good.

http://caps-a-holic....less=#vergleich

I prefer not to as ignorance is bliss.  I don't want to watch any disc and have to think about PQ issues on it if I don't take notice of such issues.  I rather concentrate on the film itself.  

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#13 of 23 OFFLINE   Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner

Supporting Actor

• 790 posts

Posted April 05 2014 - 03:24 AM

I prefer not to as ignorance is bliss.  I don't want to watch any disc and have to think about PQ issues on it if I don't take notice of such issues.  I rather concentrate on the film itself.  

Usually one takes notice automatically of image properties if one cares about cinema. It comes with the territory since cinema is images (and sound). And the different image properties of different films are part of what makes films different from one another. Given that, even when one has not seen thousands of films, the look of films (meaning  the range of what films look like) becomes apparent over time. And what they don't look like as well (due to digital distortions on video formats).  It's simply part of being a cinephile with normal vision. As much as I hate not to concentrate on a film when watching it, cases like Fargo force me to take notice that they look wrong. The sharpening is anything but subtle and has changed the whole texture of the film considerably. Your statement would be typical for an average consumer of films as entertainment. Coming from a moderator of a website catering for home cinema and cinephiles it's odd.

• Jeffrey Nelson likes this

#14 of 23 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,321 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 05 2014 - 04:09 AM

^ I understand what you're saying but at the same time, why would anyone want to notice something that will only lessen their enjoyment of watching a movie? It's not like noticing edge enhancement or other flaws will make the studios stop applying it so, as he said, ignorance is bliss. I'm the only person that I know in the real world that finds a DVD and streaming Netflix HD hard to watch and I somewhat envy the people that have no clue and can just enjoy the movie.

#15 of 23 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted April 05 2014 - 04:22 AM

^ I understand what you're saying but at the same time, why would anyone want to notice something that will only lessen their enjoyment of watching a movie? 

You don't want to see these things but they can be there and if home cinema is your hobby then you tend to learn about these things, especially if you are a member of a forum like this, that is why i don't understand when people say they don't notice these things, with television sets becoming larger it would stick out like a sore thumb, on a projection screen it sure does.

Even if you don't know what it is, how can you not notice halo's around objects and people, that pulls you right out of the movie.

#16 of 23 OFFLINE   Reggie W

Reggie W

Supporting Actor

• 747 posts

Posted April 05 2014 - 04:40 AM

I was waiting on some reviews for this one and so far the reviews seem to indicate this new disc is an upgrade. I have the old blu-ray, being a big fan of the brothers Coen, and watched it recently. I thought it looked decent but that there was room for improvement. Curious to see the new disc but there has been such a flood of releases lately that I'm interested in (four westerns this past week) that the double dip on this could wait. Fargo is not my favorite Coen film, that spot is held by No Country for Old Men...followed closely by Miller's Crossing...but it is an important film in their canon and a very good one featuring a slew of great comic performances.  

#17 of 23 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,321 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 05 2014 - 05:11 AM

You don't want to see these things but they can be there and if home cinema is your hobby then you tend to learn about these things, especially if you are a member of a forum like this, that is why i don't understand when people say they don't notice these things, with television sets becoming larger it would stick out like a sore thumb, on a projection screen it sure does.

Even if you don't know what it is, how can you not notice halo's around objects and people, that pulls you right out of the movie.

I get what you're saying but I still understand why someone else isn't interested in spotting those flaws. For what it's worth, I notice edge enhancement and sharpening although I'd guess I spot it much less than others here.

#18 of 23 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,048 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 05 2014 - 08:14 AM

Usually one takes notice automatically of image properties if one cares about cinema. It comes with the territory since cinema is images (and sound). And the different image properties of different films are part of what makes films different from one another. Given that, even when one has not seen thousands of films, the look of films (meaning  the range of what films look like) becomes apparent over time. And what they don't look like as well (due to digital distortions on video formats).  It's simply part of being a cinephile with normal vision. As much as I hate not to concentrate on a film when watching it, cases like Fargo force me to take notice that they look wrong. The sharpening is anything but subtle and has changed the whole texture of the film considerably. Your statement would be typical for an average consumer of films as entertainment. Coming from a moderator of a website catering for home cinema and cinephiles it's odd.

I care about being entertained by movies as I think some of us get lost by our devotion to this hobby and forget about why we love movies as entertainment.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#19 of 23 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,048 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 05 2014 - 08:16 AM

I get what you're saying but I still understand why someone else isn't interested in spotting those flaws. For what it's worth, I notice edge enhancement and sharpening although I'd guess I spot it much less than others here.

I spot some of these flaws too, but not to the degree as some people.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#20 of 23 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted April 05 2014 - 12:23 PM

Theres a difference between spotting the flaws and not being able to tune them out.
  • Mark Walker likes this
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users