MPAA - Time to Retire the G Rating

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 of 47 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,223 posts

Posted March 10 2014 - 01:27 PM

I'm trying to think of PG-rated films of the pre-PG-13 80s with major levels of sex and nudity in them. Violence tends to push the PG-13 envelope harder.

"Logan's Run"!

Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#22 of 47 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,168 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted March 10 2014 - 02:02 PM

Grease was pretty ribald for a PG-rated film released in 1978.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#23 of 47 RabbitMan3000

RabbitMan3000

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted March 11 2014 - 07:35 AM

True, but the visuals weren't. All of the "naughtiness" in Grease was from word play and innuendo. Typically the MPAA is more concerned with blatant visual sexuality.

#24 of 47 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,467 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 11 2014 - 10:56 AM

IIRC, Grease was actually toned down from the original Broadway musical.

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#25 of 47 Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,213 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted March 11 2014 - 11:21 AM

What are "thematic elements," and why do some films with "thematic elements" get a PG, while others get PG-13 or R?

I"m being rhetorical, of course....

#26 of 47 Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,552 posts

Posted March 12 2014 - 08:16 PM

Clash of the Titans and Airplane!

#27 of 47 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,467 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 13 2014 - 11:43 AM

We watched the recent comedy The Internship last night. It was PG-13 in its theatrical run, but the "Unrated" edition on the DVD was far raunchier than any PG-13 film I've seen. There were at least a dozen F-bombs, and it featured an extended sequence (it had to be over 10 minutes long) in a topless bar that had quite a few gals walking around with exposed breastages.

I'm kind of curious to see how far the theatrical cut (about 6 minutes shorter) went. Not that I'm complainin'. :)

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#28 of 47 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,223 posts

Posted March 13 2014 - 01:20 PM

We watched the recent comedy The Internship last night. It was PG-13 in its theatrical run, but the "Unrated" edition on the DVD was far raunchier than any PG-13 film I've seen. There were at least a dozen F-bombs, and it featured an extended sequence (it had to be over 10 minutes long) in a topless bar that had quite a few gals walking around with exposed breastages.

I'm kind of curious to see how far the theatrical cut (about 6 minutes shorter) went. Not that I'm complainin'. :)

Definitely no nudity in the PG-13 version.  Not sure about the profanity - looked at the "Parents Guide" on IMDB and it only lists "F words" in the unrated context.  I'm guessing there still might be one F word in the PG-13 but I don't remember...

Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#29 of 47 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,563 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted March 13 2014 - 01:54 PM

The only strip clubs I like are in France.

#30 of 47 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted March 13 2014 - 11:45 PM

Everyone would be better off if they just got rid of the ratings. You can tell what the suitability of a movie will be based on the marketing campaign from the studios anyway. 95% of the time, with few exceptions at any rate.

The MPAA is a censorship board first and foremost. Content get's killed prior to shooting in hopes of getting a PG-13 or whatever rating they need/hope to get. People going into a Transformers movie know what they are getting, it's not like without the board there all of a sudden there's going to be a hard core sex scene in it. The studio putting up the three hundred million will make sure that the film caters to the widest group/lowest denominator in the hope that it will make a billion.

And no one needs to see an R rating or NC-17 or "Unrated" to know a Lars Von Triers film will probably have a penis in it and be inappropriate for their 8 year old.

It's a stupid system that isn't benefiting anyone other than marketers.

My wife & I saw 'Wolf of Wall Street' at an afternoon show while the kids were at school.  Sure enough, a woman brought her 4/5 year old with her to the theater.  They walked out ahead of us and I thought:  this is why ratings are pointless.

I'd favor them ditching "G" as well and just giving the TV rating more like "Y" and "Y7" as 'appropriate for those age categories'.  But I don't even think Frozen or that were "G", and I'd take anyone of any age to see that

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#31 of 47 Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,143 posts

Posted March 14 2014 - 04:08 AM

None of the films cited had major levels of sex and nudity in them. Maybe Logan's Run might get a PG-13 today. The PG from the 70s that surprises me is The Getaway.

#32 of 47 McCrutchy

McCrutchy

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted March 14 2014 - 04:34 AM

None of the films cited had major levels of sex and nudity in them. Maybe Logan's Run might get a PG-13 today. The PG from the 70s that surprises me is The Getaway.

Or The Outlaw Josey Wales, which has nudity in the context of attempted gang rape, and then another scene of rape without nudity later in the film. Not like there isn't good old-fashioned violence in the film, either.

#33 of 47 AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,922 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted March 14 2014 - 04:40 AM

I always figured the reason that studios put PG (or PG-13) ratings on kid-oriented movies these days were twofold:

1. slightly older kids would think that G means "for babies" and is uncool

2. parents might be more inclined to take their kids to a PG or PG-13 movie for selfish reasons on their part ("if it's PG or PG-13, maybe it's like Shrek and has some stuff in it for grown-ups, which is just another way of saying "G-rated movies are for babies")

#34 of 47 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,467 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 14 2014 - 10:42 AM

My wife & I saw 'Wolf of Wall Street' at an afternoon show while the kids were at school.  Sure enough, a woman brought her 4/5 year old with her to the theater.  They walked out ahead of us and I thought:  this is why ratings are pointless.

That doesn't mean ratings are pointless; it means that you attended a movie with a sorry excuse for a parent.

#35 of 47 Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,467 posts

Posted March 14 2014 - 05:44 PM

That doesn't mean ratings are pointless; it means that you attended a movie with a sorry excuse for a parent.

Can't it be a little bit of both?  Full disclosure: I'm a frustrated moviegoer who's had mattCR's experience of going to an R-rated movie with a parent dragging in little kids more times than I can count (as I'm sure many others here have to).  Yes, part of it is terrible parenting - I think it's this weird entitlement syndrome of "my right to do what I want to do at the exact second I want to do it is more important than anyone else's wellbeing" and so no consideration is shown either to the children or the other people in the theater.  But I also think part of the problem is that theaters simply do not care.  Once you fork over the $15 (that's what it is in NYC for a regular 2D presentation), they could care less about what happens inside the theater.  Even the theaters that have posted rules like AMC does, (like no children under 6 in R-rated movies after 6pm), they frequently ignore their own policies.  Just once, I'd like a ticket taker to be empowered to say, "I'm sorry, but out of respect for other ticket-buying patrons as well as the well-being of your children, I cannot sell you and your three-year-old tickets to the 10pm showing of that movie".  Just once I'd like to see a theater give up a ten dollar sale so that the rest of us who paid ten dollars to watch a movie don't have to listen to screaming babies.  I will file this pipe dream next to the one where the usher kicks out the person talking on the cell phone next to me.

#36 of 47 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted March 14 2014 - 06:09 PM

Can't it be a little bit of both?  Full disclosure: I'm a frustrated moviegoer who's had mattCR's experience of going to an R-rated movie with a parent dragging in little kids more times than I can count (as I'm sure many others here have to).  Yes, part of it is terrible parenting - I think it's this weird entitlement syndrome of "my right to do what I want to do at the exact second I want to do it is more important than anyone else's wellbeing" and so no consideration is shown either to the children or the other people in the theater.  But I also think part of the problem is that theaters simply do not care.  Once you fork over the $15 (that's what it is in NYC for a regular 2D presentation), they could care less about what happens inside the theater.  Even the theaters that have posted rules like AMC does, (like no children under 6 in R-rated movies after 6pm), they frequently ignore their own policies.  Just once, I'd like a ticket taker to be empowered to say, "I'm sorry, but out of respect for other ticket-buying patrons as well as the well-being of your children, I cannot sell you and your three-year-old tickets to the 10pm showing of that movie".  Just once I'd like to see a theater give up a ten dollar sale so that the rest of us who paid ten dollars to watch a movie don't have to listen to screaming babies.  I will file this pipe dream next to the one where the usher kicks out the person talking on the cell phone next to me.

I've got to say the above nails it.  It's why I love Alamo Drafthouse.  Firm rules that they actually follow.

• Josh Steinberg likes this

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#37 of 47 Wayne_j

Wayne_j

Second Unit

• 498 posts

Posted March 14 2014 - 06:22 PM

No Alamo Drafthouse here in Albany, NY.  But there is a good independent theater with extremely few kids.

#38 of 47 ScottHM

ScottHM

Second Unit

• 295 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted March 14 2014 - 07:18 PM

And no one needs to see an R rating or NC-17 or "Unrated" to know a Lars Von Triers film will probably have a penis in it and be inappropriate for their 8 year old.

Why would you say something like this?  I'd never even heard of Lars Von Triers before your post.

I like the ratings system to some extent--it gives me an indication of what to ignore.

---------------

#39 of 47 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,563 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted March 14 2014 - 07:31 PM

Why would you say something like this? I'd never even heard of Lars Von Triers before your post.

I like the ratings system to some extent--it gives me an indication of what to ignore.

---------------

MPAA is a joke. I prefer the directors that give a shit less about "a rating" and make the movie they want.

Breillat
Moodysson
Robbe-grillet
Brisseau

And numerous other directors.

Sad society that blood and guts is PG13 but a quick boob shot is R.

Even sadder that a French 15 movie is unedited, and has to be edited for content to be R rated in the US.

#40 of 47 ScottHM

ScottHM

Second Unit

• 295 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted March 15 2014 - 09:57 AM

I prefer the directors that give a shit less about "a rating" and make the movie they want.

While I prefer to see movies I want, and don't care about what some director wants.

---------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users