Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Weekly RoundUp 3-4-2014

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 of 39 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,221 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 01 2014 - 05:03 PM

WRU Template 3-26-13  

Posted Image

The Features

– Jennifer Lawrence (The Hunger Games: Catching Fire – 2013)

– 12 Years a Slave – 2013

–Charlton Heston & Rex Harrison (The Agony and the Ecstasy – 1965) 

–Sonewhere in Time– 1980

–Fried Green Tomatoes – 1991

The Prices
Posted Image
Click on the Amazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF!

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

DVDs  Amazon BestBuy Target
12 Years a Slave   $14.99 $14.99 $14.99
Big Bad Wolf   $26.95
Bloodlust [Film Chest Restored Version - 1961]   $10.78
Bob Dylan:  30th Anniversary Concert $19.88
Cold Comes the Night   $26.99
Doctor Who: The Time of the Doctor   $9.49
Girl Rising   $18.96
The Grandmaster   $14.98 $12.99
Hours   $12.99
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire  [Friday, March 7 release] $17.99 $17.99 $15.99
The Iran Job   $22.46
Je'Caryous Johnson's for Love Or Money   $13.48
The Last Days on Mars   $12.96
Oldboy   $18.96
Rawhide: The Seventh Season Volume 1   $44.99
Rawhide: The Seventh Season Volume 2   $44.99
Reportero   $22.98
Teen Titans Go: Mission to Misbehave Season 1 Pt 1   $12.96
The Venture Bros: The Fantastic Fifth Season   $18.96 $16.99
The Visitor    $27.95
Wicked Blood   $9.96

Posted Image
Click on the Amazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF!

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

Blu-rays  Amazon BestBuy Target
12 Years a Slave   $19.99 $19.99 $19.99
The Agony and the Ecstasy   $22.98
An American Tail   $14.99
Bob Dylan: 30th Anniversary Concert $19.88
Cold Comes the Night   $22.98
Doctor Who: The Time of the Doctor   $11.99
Far and Away    $16.99
Fried Green Tomatoes    $14.96
Garden State    $16.18
The Grandmaster   $14.99 $14.99
Hairspray     $9.96
Harry and the Hendersons    $17.98
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire [Combo Pack] [Friday, March 7 Release] $19.99 $22.99 $19.99
Intolerable Cruelty    $17.98
Johnson Family Vacation $12.96
The Last Days on Mars   $14.96
Oldboy   $22.99
Simple Wish, A    $17.98
Somewhere in Time    $14.96
The Venture Bros: The Fantastic Fifth Season   $24.96 $21.99
The Visitor    $24.99
Wicked Blood   $22.48

The Disclaimer

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, PLEASE just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, Circuit City is still out of business...even in Hawaii (where they NEVER guaranteed their prices anyway).

The Specials

--Best Buy, this week, has two different COLLECTIBLE STEELBOOK CASES for its one-disc ($17.99) release of The Hunger Games and combo pack ($22.99) of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.  For collectors, BB will be glad to sell you one of each for a total of just $27.99.  Must be purchased on same receipt and offer good only on 3-7-14 and 3-8-14.  

--You can algo get, at Best Buy, this week, $8 in Fandango cash to see Divergent in theaters 3-21-14 with the purchase of either collectible steelbook.  Offer expires 5-14-14.  Valid for up to $8 Fandango cash on Certificate--valid one ticket on Fandango.com.  Internet access and printer 3-7-14 thru 3-23-14 required to redeem.  See specially marked packages for details.  While supplies last.  Offer valid in US only.

--The following recent Blu-ray releases are on sale this week at Best Buy:

$22.99:  Gravity (CP).

$27.99:  Gravity (3-D CP)..

--Get up to $8 off an admission ticket to see 300: Rise of an Empire (in theaters 3-7-14) when you purchase these or other select titles:

300:  $9.99 Blu/$4.99 DVD.
Clash of the Titans:  $9.99 Blu/$6.99 DVD.

--BB has the following Blu titles on sale this week for $9.99 and BUY ONE, GET ONE, too!

$9.99:  The Amazing Spider-Man, 21 Jump Street, Looper, Total Recall, Evil Dead, Dead Man Down, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs.

--Best Buy Odds and Ends:  None to report.

--Target this week has an EXCLUSIVE RELEASE of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.  For $22.99, you can get a Blu Combo Pack three-disc release.  Includes an extra disc with 45 minutes of exclusive bonus content and a booklet.

--Target is also advertising The Hunger Games this week for $11.00 DVD/$13.00 Blu. 

--Target is also advertising EXCLUSIVE BONUS DISCS in Blu-ray releases of both Cars and Cars 2 (from Pixar)  for $22.99 apiece.  And...buy a Neon Racer (toy car) for $4.99 and one of the Blu-ray releases and save $5 on the movie.

--Target Odds and Ends: None to report.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#2 of 39 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,918 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted March 01 2014 - 05:13 PM

Thanks Mike!  Just an FYI I fixed some issues with the links to the WRU on the top of the side bar and on the front page. 

I also want to note that if you haven't filled out our survey yet please do, only a week left!  You could win one of the following prizes: Power Sound Audio XS30 Subwoofer (reviewed here), iPad Mini, one of two Blu-ray prize packs (Prometheus, District 9, Kick-Ass, Machete, and Rio) or one of three copies of Casablanca 70th Anniversary Edition on Blu-ray. Must be over 18 and a HTF member to win.  Winners will be chosen at random.  Not an member?  Sign up for a free account here.

You can find the survey here

Hunger Games is all for me this week, looks like Target is the place to go, cheapest and the extra disc!

#3 of 39 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,221 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 01 2014 - 05:26 PM

Hunger Games is all for me this week, looks like Target is the place to go, cheapest and the extra disc!

Don't get confused, Adam.  The regular combo pack is $19.99 at Target.  But if you want the bonus disc, you are back up to $22.99.

Thanks for the fixes!

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#4 of 39 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,080 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 01 2014 - 05:52 PM

Mike,

I think that 300 Spartans is an import as the domestic release of the same title came out last Tuesday.  

By the way, I hope you're feeling better.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#5 of 39 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,221 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 01 2014 - 05:56 PM

POPULAR

Thanks, Robert.  I thought I had remembered that...but I'm still a bit foggy.

I'll pull 'em.

And I'm getting better every day, thanks....but have a long way to go.

• Adam Gregorich, Moe Dickstein, Adam Lenhardt and 2 others like this

#6 of 39 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,619 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 01 2014 - 07:23 PM

Thanks for the RoundUp, Mike. Something so many of us look forward to each week.

I'm slated to review several more of this week's releases that haven't gotten here yet. We'll see what actually comes.

#7 of 39 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,337 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 01 2014 - 07:35 PM

I'll pick up Hairspray and The Hunger Games: Catching Fire this week.

12 Years A Slave is a very depressing but excellent movie and well worth a rental.

Thanks for the prices, Mike! :)

#8 of 39 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,244 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 01 2014 - 08:51 PM

Only one for me this week.

My number one favorite movie.
Somewhere In Time.
Probably not remastered and no new extras though.

Now I just need......
Heaven Can Wait.
On Borrowed Time.
facebook.com/whotony

#9 of 39 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,843 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted March 01 2014 - 09:23 PM

Just Catching Fire (I can't believe it's coming out already!).  I'm waiting for the Amazon preorder to drop to the Target pice.

Thanks Mike!!

#10 of 39 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,631 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted March 02 2014 - 12:35 AM

Just Catching Fire (I can't believe it's coming out already!).  I'm waiting for the Amazon preorder to drop to the Target pice.

Thanks Mike!!

It just did.
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#11 of 39 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,221 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 02 2014 - 06:08 AM

Excellent report, Tino!  Thanks!

I have updated the grid with this news.

#12 of 39 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,662 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 02 2014 - 08:15 AM

It's great to see you back on the weekly update, Mike. Glad your recovery is going well.

Just Somewhere in Time for me this week. I will borrow the new Hunger Games release from a co-worker. I do not have the need to own the HG films.

#13 of 39 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,398 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 02 2014 - 08:38 AM

Thanks as always, Mike.

Anybody know if the special features (that aren't exclusive to Target's release) for Catching Fire are limited to the combo packs? I really don't need a DVD or digital copy, so I'd be up for the $17.99 steelbook at Best Buy, but I don't want to miss out on the “Surviving the Game" making-of documentary.

Edited by Adam Lenhardt, March 02 2014 - 08:38 AM.

#14 of 39 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted March 02 2014 - 08:42 AM

Somewhere in Time was a favorite of mine when it first showed up on HBO (Along with Time After Time... loved those time travel flicks).  Have to wonder how the movie holds up after all these years.   

I want to see 12 Years a Slave, but that will probably be a rental since most folks I have talked to said seeing it once was enough!  

And Catching Fire for the little lady!

Great to see you back in action, Mike!

#15 of 39 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,293 posts

Posted March 02 2014 - 09:38 AM

Thanks for the Round-up, Mike!    When the next Scarlet movie comes out on BD I know your recovery will be complete.

Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#16 of 39 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,221 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 02 2014 - 09:49 AM

POPULAR

To all of you kind enough to send best wishes:

Thanks so much for your many notes and posts about my health.  Each and every one is sooooo appreciated and humbling.

Just a quick few words to say that now that I am at home (in the comfort of my own WiFi network!) I think I am ready to be back at the helm of the weekly WRU.  So far, so good I guess.   :biggrin:   But I have got a very long way to go--for example, before I am back to work or even ready to drive again. 

Don't take your health for granted.  Embrace it and think about all the things it makes possible for you to do.  I am missing so many of those those things now.  Don't get me wrong.  I am blessed to be alive and with my family.  But it is taking some creativity on my part to be wondering what kind of service I can provide in my current state.  Fortunately, the HTF seems to be one outlet for my energies!  :thumbs-up-smiley:

Thanks all. 

Mike

• pitchman, Moe Dickstein, Adam Lenhardt and 7 others like this

#17 of 39 OFFLINE   JakeLip

JakeLip

Second Unit

• 259 posts

Posted March 02 2014 - 01:16 PM

--Best Buy, this week, has two different COLLECTIBLE STEELBOOK CASES for its one-disc ($17.99) and combo packs ($22.99) of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.  For collectors, BB will be glad to sell you one of each for a total of just $27.99.  Must be purchased on same receipt and offer good only on 3-7-14 and 3-8-14.

Thanks for the Roundup, Mike!  Glad you're back.

That being said, the way I'm reading the ad, the non-combo pack $17.99 steelbook seems to be for the original Hunger Games film from 2012, not Catching Fire (which also explains why it is not a combo pack, since the original film was never released that way).  I don't thinnk there is a non-combo pack release of Catching Fire.  If in fact the $17.99 steelbook is for the first one, this makes the combined purchase offer make way more sense, because buying two copies of the same film wouldn't make a lot of sense.  (I guess you could do it, but it's not like they have different content on the discs themselves if they're the same movie ) Even though Best Buy's website labels this as "Hunger Games: Catching Fire," the artwork only says "The Hunger Games" so I'm thinking it is a misprint on their part.

http://www.bestbuy.c...2015&id=2988433

Since I never picked up the first one when it came out originally, I'm in for this deal.

#18 of 39 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,843 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted March 02 2014 - 02:19 PM

It just did.

Thanks for the heads up, Tino.  The preorder stays.  :)

#19 of 39 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,876 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted March 02 2014 - 05:07 PM

Amazon's price on The Agony & The Ecstasy is falling....just pre-ordered it at $16.19. 

Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#20 of 39 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,398 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 02 2014 - 06:04 PM

Thanks for the Roundup, Mike!  Glad you're back.

That being said, the way I'm reading the ad, the non-combo pack $17.99 steelbook seems to be for the original Hunger Games film from 2012, not Catching Fire (which also explains why it is not a combo pack, since the original film was never released that way).  I don't thinnk there is a non-combo pack release of Catching Fire.

GOOD catch! Your post saved me from a potentially erroneous purchase. That being said, if it IS the case, whoever labeled the $17.99 release "Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray Disc)" on the Best Buy website is going to be in trouble, because the mislabeling is going to confuse a lot of people.

Looks like I'm going to Target on Friday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users