Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Performance (1970) Available for Preorder

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,216 posts

Posted February 27 2014 - 07:38 AM

Google ChromeScreenSnapz001.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

• Ken Koc and spencersmith like this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 870 posts

Posted February 27 2014 - 08:35 AM

YES!!!!!

Ken

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,879 posts

Posted February 27 2014 - 09:42 AM

No!!!

(One of the very few films I walked out on early)

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,695 posts

Posted February 27 2014 - 12:42 PM

According to a question answered by a WAC rep on their Facebook page, the blu-ray will fix the stereo audio error that ended up omitting "Here's to Old England" and other audio.

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   JoshuaB.

JoshuaB.

Second Unit

• 408 posts
  • LocationCowtown, formerly Vancouver

Posted February 27 2014 - 01:53 PM

Wow, an unexpected, but fantastic, surprise! I've enjoyed the DVD, but always grimaced at the audio issue. Another gem from my favourite decade of film to be added to HD!

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,135 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted February 27 2014 - 02:42 PM

We've established that these new WAC Blu-rays are still being stamped, not burned? Fingers crossed...

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,279 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 27 2014 - 02:45 PM

We've established that these new WAC Blu-rays are still being stamped, not burned? Fingers crossed...

Yes.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,135 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted February 27 2014 - 02:48 PM

:thumbs-up-smiley:

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   johnmcmasters

johnmcmasters

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted March 03 2014 - 10:41 AM

Yes!  I’m hoping this will be the slighly longer version with the “live” British dialogue tracks intact (some domestic releases, like the LD, were a shortened, somewhat censored cut, with some dialogue overlays).

As I recall, Mr. Cammell’s widow revealed several years ago (as reported in “Video Watchdog”) that she had a complete print of a longer “director’s version” of the film that she hoped would be released at some point.  Most folks acknowledge that this film was extraordinarily influential – and while I am not surprised that this “director’s version” has not yet been restored and released, such a wasted opportunity leaves me saddened.  I imagine that rights issues and the fact that the film was credited to two directors also create their own complexities.

In any event, I can’t wait to see the specs for this blu-ray – one of my favorite films.

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   ThorC1138

ThorC1138

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted April 03 2014 - 08:29 AM

I received mine in the mail yesterday, and I have some bad news...first, the vocals for Johhny Shannon's character Harry Flowers are different than the US DVD release, as to which is the "real" version I have read that the US DVD is correct, so that would mean this new Blu Ray version is using the dubbed version.

Second, the added line "Here's to old England" sounds terrible, like it was spliced in from an old VHS tape, with the gain cranked up to 11, it sounds just awful.

When I posted on Warner Archive's facebook page about this, they claim the audio is unchanged from the DVD release, but that is not correct.  Just listening to Harry Flowers at the 15:00 or 21:00 minute mark and it's quite obvious.

As seemingly one of the first to spot this, getting some other sites behind this would be helpful in getting Warner to realize there is something going on here..

Edited by ThorC1138, April 03 2014 - 08:29 AM.

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Yami

Yami

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted July 06 2014 - 04:12 PM

Sadly, every time (and it must be 5 or 6 times now) I have posted on the Warner Archive Facebook page about the issue mentioned above they have simply deleted my post. It seems like they don't want to fix the problem and would rather ignore its existence - all the while preventing the issue coming to the attention of any potential buyers scouting their Facebook page. It's very disappointing behaviour from what I thought was an open, trustworthy company.

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,201 posts

Posted July 06 2014 - 07:57 PM

No!!!

(One of the very few films I walked out on early)

A matter of taste, as always. The only two movies I ever walked out on were LT. ROBIN CRUSOE, U.S.N. and BADLANDS. Yeah...

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,278 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted July 06 2014 - 10:18 PM

It is a shame that it seems WB archive wants this issue to just be ignored. I know I sent them a tweet regrading the issue and was told they were looking into it. I thought for sure they would work out a replacement etc. ESP since it is an Archive release.

Between this release and the opening re dubbed audio for Get Carter you'd hope someone would look into alternate versions of their films when prepping releases or any other info that would help them with quality checks.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,173 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted October 09 2014 - 10:19 PM

I haven't bought this yet as I have a UK DVD of it. Was thinking of buying the UK BD(oh, wait...snap...there isn't one)...

How many people would have preferred WA left this the way it was theatrically...which is the same as the VHS tape and DVD?

Did the attempted fix to please the "if on BD it must be corrected" elitists...ruin the film?

Or, can we cut WA some slack?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users