-

Photo
- - - - -

Dyson Animal DC65 Upright Vacuum: REVIEW (Is it Worth Spending $500+ For A Vacuum?)

Hardware Review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you pay $500 or more for a vacuum like this? (28 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you pay $500 or more for a vacuum like this?

1. Yes, I look at this as a premium product that is worthy of its cost (10 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

2. I would look for cheaper options when looking at a new vacuum (18 votes [64.29%])

Percentage of vote: 64.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 of 51 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,503 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 08 2014 - 08:07 AM

Last vacuum I got was couple years ago and needing to be replaced, that one cost just under $200. $600 to hopefully get at least 8 years, probably more, isn't that bad when you look at it.

Exactly, Russell. 

My wife has been hedging on letting me pay a similar amount for a gas grill.  We need a new one...but while she "gets" the concept of spending a bit more to get a much better quality that will last longer, she doesn't feel good about spending that much on something she doesn't personally use all that much.  The other day I gave her the tour of the inside of our gas grill (all the thin metal parts which support the burners, etc. are deteriorated to the point of no return).  I showed her at a Lowe's store the other night how the Weber gas grills are so differently constructed.  She is now ready for me to pull the trigger. 

While there are some here who don't like bagless vacuums, I am still of the opinion that our purchase of a Dyson a few years ago was one of the best purchases we ever made.  AND...we got ours refurbished at a local vacuum shop for just $199.  You can also find Dyson refurbs occasionally on Woot for a similar price.  My daughter did and said it looked like a brand new vacuum when it arrived. 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#42 of 51 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,928 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted July 08 2014 - 08:17 AM

It almost this simple...

If you have allergies, you buy bag vacuums. And I can vacuum our floors (only the 5 bedrooms have carpet, rest of the house is wood) 30 some times before changing the bag.

#43 of 51 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 08 2014 - 08:22 AM

It almost this simple...

If you have allergies, you buy bag vacuums. And I can vacuum our floors (only the 5 bedrooms have carpet, rest of the house is wood) 30 some times before changing the bag.

I have allergies to dust, they stuck over 30 small needles in my arm to find this out.

I would say that anything with a hepa filter should be good, bags unfortunately let the dust back into the air, the Dyson hoovers, yes i said hoover, ( as we call them that in the UK ) are great at keeping the dust in, can't trust a bag for that.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#44 of 51 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,928 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted July 08 2014 - 08:46 AM

The hepa filter bag(as long as it seals* ) keeps dust in, till you unseal it to dispose of it.

*If your vac isn't sealing, fix it.

#45 of 51 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 08 2014 - 08:53 AM

The hepa filter bag(as long as it seals* ) keeps dust in, till you unseal it to dispose of it.

*If your vac isn't sealing, fix it.

Gotcha now, i don't think of the Dyson hepa filters as bags, my DC08 is an older but good model.

http://www.dyson.co....c08/dc08-origin

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#46 of 51 ONLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,512 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 08 2014 - 10:37 AM

I'm allergic to dust (and all kinds of other things). We just got rid of all the carpet in the house. Granted, this solution is probably less attractive for those of you living in less tropical climes.

• andySu likes this
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#47 of 51 OFFLINE   andySu

andySu

Screenwriter

• 1,656 posts

Posted July 08 2014 - 12:21 PM

I have an older Dyson DC04 that does a good clean. I keep the cinema seats clean as well.  ;) The power cord on/off tends to come lose most times, but its okay. I think this model is like over 14 years old?

964320_10152371256855149_660961745297265

10256536_10152371255620149_6499390097746

#48 of 51 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,112 posts

Posted July 15 2014 - 02:45 PM

We have an older Dyson that has a few intermittent issues (the dang thing is over 10 years old-- my wife had it before I met her) and upgraded to the DC-65 based in part on this review. There's a $100 instant rebate on it at Costco and I figured, with their generous return policies, we can always bring it back if we hate it.   

#49 of 51 ONLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,703 posts

Posted Today, 07:20 AM

Just checking in to see how people like the DC65. My old DC07, like Mark's, has a few nagging issues from over a decade of use and abuse (but even with them, it's still the best vacuum I've ever owned). Well we just got a puppy, and I'm thinking now is the time to upgrade. The DC07 is a workhorse but also weighs twice as much as the DC65, and with the puppy I'm going to be vacuuming twice as often (if not more) so the weight difference will be appreciated. Also, not having to switch from bare floor to carpet will be a godsend.

I'm thinking of going with the Animal Complete for all of the accessories (the soft brush tool will be a duplicate but I'm thinking of bequeathing the DC07 to a family member for free, and will include the old soft brush tool) and the free carpet powder. I looked at the most recent Bed Bath and Beyond coupon and Dyson is not listed as a restricted brand (it used to be on the list, off and on).

Anyone have any final last words of wisdom before I pick one up this weekend? Thanks!

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#50 of 51 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,252 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted Today, 07:32 AM

The DC65 Animal Complete has been a godsend in my house with two cats and a wife with long hair. The only thing I wish Dyson would do is add the self-cleaning brush roller feature that can be found on the vastly inferior vacuums by Electrolux (which, sadly, is their only selling point).

Working in retail, and selling major and small appliances, people ask me about Dyson on a daily basis. I often tell them that I used to be a skeptic regarding Dyson, until I owned one and saw just how much more they pick up compared to other, highly rated vacuums.

#51 of 51 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,252 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted Today, 07:35 AM

Carlo - you can use this coupon at Best Buy and save 20% on your Dyson. It expires on Saturday, 11/1.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 1 anonymous users