What's new

Need advice for purchasing custom made speakers (1 Viewer)

aravindsbabu

Auditioning
Real Name
Aravind Sudheer Babu
I am looking for 2.1 channel speaker set for around 2500 rupees(40$)....

One of my friend's dad makes custom speakers and agreed to make one for me...

The price he is fixing is 3500 rupees (56$)
for a subwoofer of 100watts - 6 inch bass driver
2 speakers of 45 watts each
Total rms watts ~200
and an amplifier ( with a 3.5mm jack, usb port, bass treble and master volume control, tv-video-mp3 toggle, and a remote)

The rms rating is wayy above my needs, and when i asked him whether he can reduce the total rms to 100 , he is saying that it might affect clarity or something... Is that so??

And mainly how will i know the rms wattage will be as he says it would be...

PS..
i went to his house tested the 5.1 speaker system they are using, sub with 12 inch driver unit, and a big amp,

he straight away increased bass and treble to high , i think he did that to impress me with the bassy vibration and stuff...and he did..i was literally bouncing on the sofa..

I think he is trying to sell me out , i dont know..Help and advice is appreciated

Thanks

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Welcome to the forum Aravind :)Did you price around for a 2.1 system? A good way to tell if he is selling you out is to price around for comparable systems and see what you can find. It doesnt sound like anything is excessive, the price or wattage.

Dougofthenorth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
aravindsbabu said:
I am looking for 2.1 channel speaker set for around 2500 rupees(40$)....

One of my friend's dad makes custom speakers and agreed to make one for me...

The price he is fixing is 3500 rupees (56$)
for a subwoofer of 100watts - 6 inch bass driver
2 speakers of 45 watts each
Total rms watts ~200
and an amplifier ( with a 3.5mm jack, usb port, bass treble and master volume control, tv-video-mp3 toggle, and a remote)

The rms rating is wayy above my needs, and when i asked him whether he can reduce the total rms to 100 , he is saying that it might affect clarity or something... Is that so??

And mainly how will i know the rms wattage will be as he says it would be...

PS..
i went to his house tested the 5.1 speaker system they are using, sub with 12 inch driver unit, and a big amp,

he straight away increased bass and treble to high , i think he did that to impress me with the bassy vibration and stuff...and he did..i was literally bouncing on the sofa..

I think he is trying to sell me out , i dont know..Help and advice is appreciated

Thanks
Welcome Aravind,

For true wattage, the only real way to tell is by the model number & specs obtained from the sticker on the back of the actual speaker (driver). (other than using a meter)

The wattage you quoted is NOT excessive at all & is actually fairly low for normal speakers on the market unless they are very efficient speakers - meaning they start to move at very low power. Unless they are mini speakers like the small Bose type.

As for the subwoofer - 6" is too small IMHO it should be at least 8" & the box should weigh 45 or more lbs.
That speaker should also be specifically made to be a sub speaker - not just a speaker.

It also should be cut off at a high of no more that 120 Hz & go down less than 50 Hz (lower the better)

Ty has a great idea - go & shop around & also look at the label specs on other speakers & amps
Pay attention to size vs weights also for a comparrison.

Lastly - if you think he is "trying to sell you out" & you really don't trust him - go elsewhere FAST!!

aravindsbabu

Auditioning
Real Name
Aravind Sudheer Babu
Dougofthenorth said:
Welcome Aravind,

For true wattage, the only real way to tell is by the model number & specs obtained from the sticker on the back of the actual speaker (driver). (other than using a meter)

The wattage you quoted is NOT excessive at all & is actually fairly low for normal speakers on the market unless they are very efficient speakers - meaning they start to move at very low power. Unless they are mini speakers like the small Bose type.

As for the subwoofer - 6" is too small IMHO it should be at least 8" & the box should weigh 45 or more lbs.
That speaker should also be specifically made to be a sub speaker - not just a speaker.

It also should be cut off at a high of no more that 120 Hz & go down less than 50 Hz (lower the better)

Ty has a great idea - go & shop around & also look at the label specs on other speakers & amps
Pay attention to size vs weights also for a comparrison.

Lastly - if you think he is "trying to sell you out" & you really don't trust him - go elsewhere FAST!!
Type A said:
Welcome to the forum Aravind :)Did you price around for a 2.1 system? A good way to tell if he is selling you out is to price around for comparable systems and see what you can find. It doesnt sound like anything is excessive, the price or wattage.
Hmm kay,

thanks for your opinions

Ill anyway do some research in the local shops and stuff..

One more thing,
the bass driver size , how does it affect the overall "thing" for the speaker..

I just know that bigger the driver it'll be better, how much of a difference will it make when we compare 6inch and 8inch bass driver...

PS: total weight would be around 22lbs

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I don't know what makes you think you are being "sold out".$56 here in the US barely gets you a craptastic Coby 2.1 mini-Jack system at TJ Maxx.

Dougofthenorth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
aravindsbabu said:
Ill anyway do some research in the local shops and stuff..

One more thing,

I just know that bigger the driver it'll be better, how much of a difference will it make when we compare 6inch and 8inch bass driver...
Since you are getting custom made speakers, I would suspect if the SW is only 6" the other speakers are less in size.
Therefore the SW will be doing all the work for bass. IMHO a 6" (of this as of yet unknown quality) is not able to adequately handle
the needs for the bass load.

Google around or walk around & see/research SWs - most are a minimum of 8" (to start) & they are very specialized speakers

But as Sam pointed out $56 is nothing really - not being elitist or lofty.

It would help if you listed what speakers & tweeters are in the other 2 cabinets.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
aravindsbabu said:
One more thing,

For subs, it's all about moving air. That is accomplished by size and excursion. The Exodus Audio Maelstrom 21 has a piston area of 1550 cm^2 and one way linear excursion of 31mm. A little math and you figure out that this sub can move 9.61 liters of air.

Actually bigger is not always better. There are smaller subs that have move excursion. I would rather use this 12" sub http://www.parts-express.com/tc-sounds-lms-r-12-dvc-subwoofer--293-658 than this 15" sub http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dvc385-88-15-dvc-series-subwoofer--295-190 The 12 not only moves more air, it also has features that significantly lower distortion.

I don't want to get into weight specifically but quality material should be used. MDF is the choice of most speaker manufacturers. Look at the wood used. Does it look like compressed sawdust? That's called particle board. MDF is a compressed wood powder. It is about 50% denser. A single 4' x 8' sheet weighs about 90 pounds. Construction techniques should be similar to this http://www.danmarx.org/audioinnovation/tc3000.html I've seen one of these being built when I toured the factory http://egglestonworks.com/products/the-savoy-signature/ and it is made from MDF, PVC pipe and wood glue.

aravindsbabu

Auditioning
Real Name
Aravind Sudheer Babu
I first thought that the speakers itself would be made by him, that's why i thought that he was selling me out...I was paranoid about the quality and wattage..

I called him up and he said that it would be a custom imported speaker...

I ordered one anyway..

But i can't figure out why y'all say that 61/2" is too small for a bass driver...

I searched almost all websites and stuff and for the budget speaker most Creative, Edifier, Logitech etc etc barely have 6" drivers..

All my friends have 2.1 speakers of TOTAL rms wattage around 20-30watts. and i think that's kinda lous enough already.. In my place 100watts itself is an overkill..

I hope it turns out well... :thumbs-up-smiley:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks