Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Using existing surround sound with new blu-ray player

Blu-ray Hardware Speaker

Best Answer Jason Charlton , February 25 2014 - 08:27 AM

Found the manual online.

The receiver unit (the DVD player - not the subwoofer) does have one optical digital input. You can get a standalone Blu-ray player that has an optical output and connect the optical (audio) from the Blu-ray player to the surround system, and the HDMI (video) from the Blu-ray player directly to the TV.

You leave the speakers connected to the surround system as they are now.

On the surround system, you change the input to "DBS" in order to hear the audio from the connected device.

You will have to read the manual for your Blu-ray player carefully to make sure it is properly configured to output audio in a form that your surround system can process (i.e. your surround system may not be able to handle DTS audio from external devices, etc.).

All of this being said, you really should replace this system. Clearly, you've already outgrown it, and using the digital optical connection from your Blu-ray does not allow you to truly benefit from the improved audio formats that Blu-ray has to offer (lossless audio). You can get much better systems for $3-400 if your budget allows.

Go to the full post

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Ryan Atwood

Ryan Atwood

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted February 24 2014 - 08:42 PM

Hi Everyone, 

I have a pretty high-end DVD player that has an 8-prong cable that connects from the DVD player directly to a sub-woofer.  From there, the subwoofer also connects to the 5 surround sound speakers.  This 8-prong connection from the DVD player to the sub-woofer says "SP-PWC5" on it.  

I am thinking to buy a Blu-ray player.  I could just connect the blu-ray player to the TV via HDMI and take down the surround sound (as the DVD player would no longer be useful), but I thought it would be better to use the surround sound system if I can with a new blu-ray player.  Can someone tell me what is the best / cheapest way to connect a blu-ray player that I can buy to this existing surround sound system.  If I remember right, I think these were purchased maybe in 2003-ish?

Thanks

#2 of 6 Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson

Screenwriter

• 1,916 posts

Posted February 24 2014 - 09:07 PM

Unless the DVD player or sub have some sort of external input jack there will be no way to connect a blu ray player to the sound system. I bought a system similar to what you have years ago for my parents and it could only play DVDs.

#3 of 6 Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,795 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted February 25 2014 - 06:29 AM

Welcome to the forum, Ryan,

Unfortunately, that 8-prong connector seems like a "proprietary" connection, and to be frank, "high end" combined with "proprietary" is an oxymoron.

I don't think you will find any standalone Blu-ray player that will work with that speaker/surround setup. If you could provide us with a specific make and model number for the surround system, we could tell you for certain. The only hope you have for using that speaker system with any other device is if it has at least one digital audio input (either coaxial or optical).

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#4 of 6 Ryan Atwood

Ryan Atwood

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted February 25 2014 - 07:55 AM

Thanks guys.  The subwoofer is a JVC powered subwoofer and the model no: is "SP-PWC5".  The only inputs it has is that 8-prong jack + the 5 pairs of L/R speaker wire inputs for the 5 speakers in the system.  Can you confirm for me that there is no way to use a Blu-Ray player with this as you said?

#5 of 6 Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,795 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted February 25 2014 - 08:27 AM   Best Answer

Found the manual online.

The receiver unit (the DVD player - not the subwoofer) does have one optical digital input. You can get a standalone Blu-ray player that has an optical output and connect the optical (audio) from the Blu-ray player to the surround system, and the HDMI (video) from the Blu-ray player directly to the TV.

You leave the speakers connected to the surround system as they are now.

On the surround system, you change the input to "DBS" in order to hear the audio from the connected device.

You will have to read the manual for your Blu-ray player carefully to make sure it is properly configured to output audio in a form that your surround system can process (i.e. your surround system may not be able to handle DTS audio from external devices, etc.).

All of this being said, you really should replace this system. Clearly, you've already outgrown it, and using the digital optical connection from your Blu-ray does not allow you to truly benefit from the improved audio formats that Blu-ray has to offer (lossless audio). You can get much better systems for $3-400 if your budget allows.

• Sam Posten and Ryan Atwood like this

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#6 of 6 Ryan Atwood

Ryan Atwood

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted February 25 2014 - 12:36 PM

Thanks Jason.  This was a big help!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray, Hardware, Speaker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users