Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Another big run series is reportedly on the way

Best Answer DeWilson , February 24 2014 - 03:51 PM

DEATH VALLEY DAYS

Massive Series, not see in a couple of decades! 

452 Episodes! 

Go to the full post

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#101 of 159 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,293 posts

Posted February 26 2014 - 05:24 AM

You'd think with Reagan having been President and all it would have been put back into syndication and home video by now.  Also, a lot of big names (including future stars in early roles) made guest appearances on Death Valley Days.  Was there a rights issue preventing its release?  Who actually owned the show- the Borax people?

Good question on the rights issue/hold-up.  President Reagan's time on this show was relatively brief; he hosted 64-65 which was a dozen years into the run.     I looked at the imdb cast lists for a sampling of shows.  It does look like a nice representation of familiar character actors who graced 50s TV.  Perhaps not household names, but familiar faces.  I look forward to seeing this on Encore and hearing about any potential release.

Interestingly, Gene Autry and his Flying A Productions have a credit on this show.  No idea how extensive their involvement was, but the Autry estate does have a good track record of maintaining his legacy.

• Gary OS likes this
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#102 of 159 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts

Posted February 26 2014 - 06:27 AM

BTW, when the show make the transistion to color?

Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#103 of 159 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,141 posts

Posted February 26 2014 - 06:51 AM

Great pick!!   Very happy for my friend Gary who loves Great Classic TV from the golden age.

• Gary OS likes this

#104 of 159 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,585 posts

Posted February 26 2014 - 06:57 AM

POPULAR

Great pick!!   Very happy for my friend Gary who loves Great Classic TV from the golden age.

Thanks, Mark.  This is especially nice news because westerns are my favorite overall genre where the 50's are concerned.  I enjoy all the genres from that decade, but westerns in particular (as long as they aren't set bound) seem to really hit the spot for me.  If we actually see this series come to dvd - and at this moment it appears to be an "if" and not necessarily a "when" - I'll pick up at least some of it.

Gary "this isn't a holy grail for me, but the genre alone makes it a must sample series" O.

• jdee28, Mark Collins, Professor Echo and 1 other like this
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#105 of 159 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,479 posts

Posted February 26 2014 - 07:44 AM

I'll definately be trying this show if it comes to DVD. I have many western TV series but no Western Anthology series.

• Gary OS and Professor Echo like this
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#106 of 159 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,154 posts

Posted February 26 2014 - 07:53 AM

You'd think with Reagan having been President and all it would have been put back into syndication and home video by now.  Also, a lot of big names (including future stars in early roles) made guest appearances on Death Valley Days.  Was there a rights issue preventing its release?  Who actually owned the show- the Borax people?

Yes, except its not the original Borax people, the ones that produced the show. The company still exists but different ownership. The people who own it now have no connection to the show, emotionally or otherwise. And they are in the mining business, not television business. Pretty hard to get someone to deal with something that isn't their job or in their work description. Not to mention the fact that you are talking about what I'm sure is a multi-billion dollar company and a long ago TV show isn't high on the priority list.

• Professor Echo likes this

#107 of 159 OFFLINE   Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted February 26 2014 - 08:15 AM

BTW, when did the show make the transition to color?

It was black-and-white from Season 1 to Season 12 (1952-64) and went to color starting Season 13 (1964-65) and continued in color till its last season, #18 (1969-70). 

• Charles Ellis likes this

#108 of 159 OFFLINE   Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted February 26 2014 - 08:19 AM

POPULAR

Not a bit of interest in it.    Westerns have never been my favorite genre and while I've come to like a number of titles, it's been very selective and with the completion of "The Big Valley" and "Maverick" imminent my days of blind buying any new westerns are over, especially one as massive as this.  (I'll make an exception only if Warners releases "The Alaskans")

Death Valley Days is quite a change of pace from most westerns. Being an anthology, it told different types of stories with different casts of actors every week. The strength was in the writing and the acting. Lots of good people in these shows. I have an old tape of the show with three episodes, one starring Robert Taylor (also one of the many series hosts), one starring Ronald Reagan (another series host) and one starring a pre-Rawhide Clint Eastwood. Some episodes had action scenes, many didn't. The protagonist sometimes died at the end. As far as I can tell from the seven episodes I saw, the show didn't seem to have a set formula, which, for me, is a good thing.

• Gary OS, Ockeghem and Professor Echo like this

#109 of 159 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted February 26 2014 - 08:25 AM

I can't help but think of Borax whenever I think of Death Valley Days.  We used that product in our home in the 1950s and 1960s.  This was another of those shows that I watched periodically with my grandfather when I was very young.

• Mark Collins likes this

#110 of 159 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts

Posted February 26 2014 - 08:44 AM

Yes, except its not the original Borax people, the ones that produced the show. The company still exists but different ownership. The people who own it now have no connection to the show, emotionally or otherwise. And they are in the mining business, not television business. Pretty hard to get someone to deal with something that isn't their job or in their work description. Not to mention the fact that you are talking about what I'm sure is a multi-billion dollar company and a long ago TV show isn't high on the priority list.

Amazing- don't they know that they are sitting on a potential moneymaking goldmine- and they're in the mining business!

Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#111 of 159 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,512 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted February 26 2014 - 09:20 AM

This is one show where I definitely want the commercials, and since it's still owned by the sponsor, or its latter-day descendant, I hope we'll see them.  Whenever I think of Rosemary deCamp, I don't think of "Love That Bob" or "That Girl" as much as I think of "Death Valley Days" with her telling us about the miracle of 20 Mule Team Borax.

I remember the show being fresh and original week after week, right up to the end.  I'd love to collect several seasons worth of this one.

• Richard V likes this

#112 of 159 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,577 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted February 26 2014 - 10:11 AM

POPULAR

Thanks, Mark.  This is especially nice news because westerns are my favorite overall genre where the 50's are concerned.  I enjoy all the genres from that decade, but westerns in particular (as long as they aren't set bound) seem to really hit the spot for me.  If we actually see this series come to dvd - and at this moment it appears to be an "if" and not necessarily a "when" - I'll pick up at least some of it.

Gary "this isn't a holy grail for me, but the genre alone makes it a must sample series" O.

Completely agree with all of this and am loving this announcement for DEATH VALLEY DAYS. Westerns from that period are some of the most well written and produced programs in the history of the medium. They are largely underrated simply because there were so many of them during a relatively short span of time that it tended to dilute the genre, sometimes in terms of quality, but more in the general, uninformed assessments of latter day TV historians.
  • Steve...O, Gary OS, jdee28 and 4 others like this

#113 of 159 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,577 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted February 26 2014 - 10:14 AM

I'll definately be trying this show if it comes to DVD. I have many western TV series but no Western Anthology series.

Randy, I highly recommend ZANE GREY THEATER for a very good example of a western anthology. Only one season released so far, but not very expensive.
  • Randy Korstick likes this

#114 of 159 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,479 posts

Posted February 26 2014 - 11:05 AM

I have heard of this one but not seen it either. Thanks for the reccomendation.

Randy, I highly recommend ZANE GREY THEATER for a very good example of a western anthology. Only one season released so far, but not very expensive.

• Professor Echo likes this
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#115 of 159 OFFLINE   Silverking

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted February 26 2014 - 11:45 AM

Agreed & this may be changing soon !
  • Gary OS and Professor Echo like this

#116 of 159 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,170 posts

Posted February 26 2014 - 12:25 PM

If the status of that Four Star title is changing soon then "Burke's Law" had better be just around the corner as well!

• Steve...O likes this

#117 of 159 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,585 posts

Posted February 26 2014 - 01:40 PM

Agreed & this may be changing soon !

My crystal ball says the same.

Gary "loving me some westerners" O.

• Professor Echo and Ron1973 like this

#118 of 159 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,577 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted February 26 2014 - 03:25 PM

I sincerely hope ZGT will not be one of those Complete Series deals where it's the only way to get the unreleased season. I was lucky to sell off my TOMBSTONE TERRITORY Season One!

Would also love the rest of the BURKE'S to come out, but just picked up S1 so am hoping no exclusive Complete set on that one too.

Gary, focus your crystal ball and influence its findings on my behalf. Thanks.
  • Randy Korstick likes this

#119 of 159 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,585 posts

Posted February 26 2014 - 03:48 PM

POPULAR

I sincerely hope ZGT will not be one of those Complete Series deals where it's the only way to get the unreleased season.

No need to worry about ZGT.  My understanding is it will only be a season set release.  And as for any influence... Oh, if only that were true!  LOL

Gary "Timeless has a pulse, but it's not nearly as strong as it has been in the past thanks to the takeover" O.

• Randy Korstick, Steve...O and Professor Echo like this

#120 of 159 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted February 26 2014 - 04:36 PM

I sincerely hope ZGT will not be one of those Complete Series deals where it's the only way to get the unreleased season. I was lucky to sell off my TOMBSTONE TERRITORY Season One!

Would also love the rest of the BURKE'S to come out, but just picked up S1 so am hoping no exclusive Complete set on that one too.

I would happily double dip on one season of Burke's law for the other half.

• Jack K likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users