Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Picture quality on LED LCD TVs

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Ralph Folkes

Ralph Folkes

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted February 23 2014 - 08:34 PM

I don't know if it is the settings or even it is something to do with the broadcast or it is just due to the display tech.  Hoping someone here with more knowledge can enlighten me.

I work in Asia (Live in the US)   On the LED LCD tvs here all the shows/movies have this picture quality that the best way I know of to describe it is Daytime Soap Opera looking.

I personally don't like it  but don't know what it is that needs to be adjusted or if it is just the nature of LED LCD.

It is kinda like the picture is to bright / sharp

Has anyone else seen what I am talking about?

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,113 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted February 23 2014 - 08:37 PM

It's a well known side effect of the 120 Hz or 240 Hz video interpolation LCD TVs use to smooth the image (to overcome refresh rate limitations inherent to LCD). This creates an overly smooth image that looks strange because we're unaccustomed to it.

My 'solution' was to buy a plasma TV and a cheap LCD that doesn't do this interpolation

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Ralph Folkes

Ralph Folkes

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted February 23 2014 - 09:24 PM

Funny that of all the people localy (from various areas all over the world) I appear the only one to be bothered by it.  Some even like it.  ICK.

So there is no way to get rid of it just have to not by a LCD tv myself?

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted February 23 2014 - 10:00 PM

Look in the menu and see if there is a setting to switch the interpolation features off, on most televisions you can switch it off.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Ralph Folkes

Ralph Folkes

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted February 23 2014 - 11:13 PM

nice link with info

These are some new fancy  Samsung Smart Tvs...  With remote in Chinese   Yea fun..   Took awhile but finally figured out how to get to menu and change the picture seting from standard to film or was it movie.   Anyways looks much better now.  Couldn't find any setting directly for interpolation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users