What's new

How would you fish the speaker lines in this room? (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Considering adding 2 side speakers to this room:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/319456-sams-underground-aerie/#entry3899267

I'm going to hang one above the rack here:

But the left hand side is trouble. Floor is concrete. Cieling goes across and have no idea how to get it up there and the left hand wall only goes halfway across the room...

Do I need a professional for this or do you think I can somehow do it myself? The alternative is to put rubber runners on top of the wires running across the floor, I really don't want to do that.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
To be clear, I am talking about adding sides to make it 7.1, the rear lines were installed pre construction and I have them hanging off the mini ridge running the length of the room, pointed down, and they work great.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Had not considered that at all.... Hmmm. There's actually a cubby into that bathroom, so three extra walls in there and up over the molding around that door if there is any, will have to look. Thanks Sam

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You could use external wire channel If you wanted to avoid opening the walls. To run it internally, you would have to open the walls and ceiling. Going that route, it might be less hassle and have an electrician do it for you; however, then you are into drywall repair.

For the left side you could remove the baseboards and run the wire behind them, then either use wire channel for the final run to the speaker location. Are the speakers going to floor standing or wall mounted? The left speaker looks problematic because of the short left wall. Where were you planning to mount it?

Also if you can go behind the baseboards, there is still the problem of the bathroom opening. You would have to use rubber runner there, but at least it is only a couple of feet.

I needed to run wire in my living room for rear speakers. I didn't have the luxury of opening walls, so I opted to use Wiremold plastic channel to make the run. It looks a bit industrial, but it is not completely ugly either. The stuff is paintable, although I elected not to. The big disadvantage was the short available lengths, requiring snap-over joiners to hide seams and the price. It wasn't cheap; however, I didn't go looking for the cheapest source. I bought it at Home Depot.

Pics. Not the best quality but they convey the idea.

Wire channel pic- rear.jpg

wire channel pic-front.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks