-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How would you fish the speaker lines in this room?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,860 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted February 23 2014 - 01:27 PM

Considering adding 2 side speakers to this room:
http://www.hometheat...e/#entry3899267

7391525590_04032e0724_b.jpg

8283338016_a08634b739_b.jpg

I'm going to hang one above the rack here:
8283338354_b1854c4396_b.jpg

But the left hand side is trouble. Floor is concrete. Cieling goes across and have no idea how to get it up there and the left hand wall only goes halfway across the room...

Do I need a professional for this or do you think I can somehow do it myself? The alternative is to put rubber runners on top of the wires running across the floor, I really don't want to do that.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#2 of 6 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,860 posts

Posted February 23 2014 - 01:30 PM

To be clear, I am talking about adding sides to make it 7.1, the rear lines were installed pre construction and I have them hanging off the mini ridge running the length of the room, pointed down, and they work great.

#3 of 6 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,152 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted February 23 2014 - 01:50 PM

Why not take up the baseboard, then use adhesive flat up the wall?

#4 of 6 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,152 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted February 23 2014 - 01:52 PM

And yes, see the door, up over the door. 100Ft of wire...just to one. Done worse.

#5 of 6 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,860 posts

Posted February 23 2014 - 01:58 PM

Had not considered that at all.... Hmmm. There's actually a cubby into that bathroom, so three extra walls in there and up over the molding around that door if there is any, will have to look. Thanks Sam

#6 of 6 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,574 posts

Posted February 23 2014 - 02:24 PM

You could use external wire channel If you wanted to avoid opening the walls. To run it internally, you would have to open the walls and ceiling. Going that route, it might be less hassle and have an electrician do it for you; however, then you are into drywall repair.

For the left side you could remove the baseboards and run the wire behind them, then either use wire channel for the final run to the speaker location. Are the speakers going to floor standing or wall mounted? The left speaker looks problematic because of the short left wall. Where were you planning to mount it?

Also if you can go behind the baseboards, there is still the problem of the bathroom opening. You would have to use rubber runner there, but at least it is only a couple of feet.

I needed to run wire in my living room for rear speakers. I didn't have the luxury of opening walls, so I opted to use Wiremold plastic channel to make the run. It looks a bit industrial, but it is not completely ugly either. The stuff is paintable, although I elected not to. The big disadvantage was the short available lengths, requiring snap-over joiners to hide seams and the price. It wasn't cheap; however, I didn't go looking for the cheapest source. I bought it at Home Depot.

Pics. Not the best quality but they convey the idea.

Wire channel pic- rear.jpg

wire channel pic-front.jpg

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users