-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

55 DAYS AT PEKING (PRE_ORDER)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 Ernest

Ernest

Supporting Actor

• 507 posts

Posted February 22 2014 - 12:19 PM

Available for pre-order from AMAZON.UK   Release Date:  April 7.

post-268687-0-41303000-1393100284.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 55.jpg

#2 of 20 t1g3r5fan

t1g3r5fan

Stunt Coordinator

• 119 posts

Posted February 22 2014 - 01:17 PM

I wonder if a release here in the US may be in the cards for the near future?

#3 of 20 Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 828 posts

Posted February 22 2014 - 10:06 PM

The French Blu Ray runs 162 minutes.

The cover is the original artwork not the dreadful UK cover.

Restored from the original 70mm camera negative.

It was  19 euros.

Attached Thumbnails

• 89303_large.jpg

Ken

#4 of 20 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,604 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted February 22 2014 - 11:42 PM

It was 19 euros.

But on Amazon.Fr it's listed as 146min running time. I actually did not order it because of the differences stated in the running times.

#5 of 20 DP 70

DP 70

Second Unit

• 364 posts

Posted February 23 2014 - 12:01 AM

It It was  19 euros.

The Negative for this film was 35mm Technirama.

#6 of 20 Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 828 posts

Posted February 23 2014 - 07:40 AM

On the Blu Ray itself it states it was restored from the original 70mm Super Technirama camera negative from Pinewood.

Furthermore there is an 11 minute restoration demonstration on the disc which also shows the difference between the 70mm version and the 35mm version.

The disc is stunning ....demonstration quality.    In fact at FNAC in Paris it was being shown on all the monitors in their huge store.

Ken

#7 of 20 rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 786 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted February 23 2014 - 10:11 AM

On the Blu Ray itself it states it was restored from the original 70mm Super Technirama camera negative from Pinewood.

Furthermore there is an 11 minute restoration demonstration on the disc which also shows the difference between the 70mm version and the 35mm version.

The disc is stunning ....demonstration quality.   

I think this is going on. 

The best materials for the Bronston films are a set of 70mm negatives used for preparing European release prints.  These were not the OCN's.  55 Days at Peking was indeed filmed in "Super Technirama 70", which means an 8-perf 35mm negative with anamorphic squeeze. 

For many years these films were believed lost in their original formats and lengths until these 70mm negatives were found.

#8 of 20 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Second Unit

• 274 posts

Posted February 23 2014 - 10:33 AM

Figures that somebody would release this movie on DVD someday.

The end battle is the only good thing about this movie (and it's a guilty pleasure for me to do so): I'd like to see a Ghostbusters sequel with this movie's ending in which a multinational contingent of Ghostbusters franchises converge on New York to relieve the heroes. ;)  :D  :lol:

#9 of 20 Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,801 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted February 23 2014 - 01:01 PM

I think this is going on. 

The best materials for the Bronston films are a set of 70mm negatives used for preparing European release prints.  These were not the OCN's.  55 Days at Peking was indeed filmed in "Super Technirama 70", which means an 8-perf 35mm negative with anamorphic squeeze. 

For many years these films were believed lost in their original formats and lengths until these 70mm negatives were found.

When and where were these 70mm negs found and was EL CID and FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE amongst them?

#10 of 20 Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,346 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted February 24 2014 - 05:42 AM

When and where were these 70mm negs found and was EL CID and FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE amongst them?

I understand there's a whole warehouse full of treasures at Pinewood Studios. About 15 years ago I was doing some stuff for Canal Plus & was talking to someone (I can't remember who) who was telling me that they didn't know half of what they had at Pinewood then (they'd just taken delivery of many large vans full of film elements), so many original negatives. I'm sure it's all been catalogued by now. I was given the original cut negs. of a few Cliff Richard musicals, to transfer from for DVD; The Young Ones, Summer Holiday & Wonderful Life, & they were all in great condition & not faded at all. We also did tests on El Cid & Circus World. These were from anamorphic 35mm b/w separation masters (probably made for insurance reasons). There is a lot of stuff in good condition out there, if only more people bought Blu-rays of old films!

I haven't read a bad thing about the 55 Days At Peking Blu-ray, & am looking forward to seeing it when it's released, I shall give it the road show treatment...a Saturday evening viewing!
  • Ken Koc likes this

#11 of 20 Fritz Nilsen

Fritz Nilsen

Second Unit

• 392 posts

Posted February 24 2014 - 11:16 AM

Indeed, that UK cover is all kinds of awful. The French cover still messes with the original artwork a bit, but miles better than the UK one.

I feel a custom cover coming on :-)

• Ken Koc likes this

#12 of 20 atcolomb

atcolomb

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts
  • LocationChicago Area

Posted April 17 2014 - 04:36 PM

Just received the blu-ray from Amazon UK and did a comparison to my TCM broadcast copy and WOW!  This is one sharp and rich colored blu-ray and what a print of the film!  Very happy i did buy a all region player to watch movies like this one and recomend this disc as a must buy!

#13 of 20 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,513 posts

Posted April 17 2014 - 04:42 PM

I'll probably pick this up.  One of those I'm almost positive won't get a Region A release in the foreseeable future

#14 of 20 Ernest

Ernest

Supporting Actor

• 507 posts

Posted April 19 2014 - 01:10 PM

The restoration at Pinewood 2013 for 55 Days at Peking looks excellent like a Criterion release.  Colors are very natural looking with lots of detail lots of depth.  I previously owned both the Laserdisc and Korean DVD and this Blu-ray is 100 times better.  The packaging contains incorrect information.  It is important to note the Blu-ray is REGION-LOCKED "B".  

Video:  1080P/24

Audio:  DTS MA

Running Time:  163 Minutes

Overture:  Yes

Language:  English

Region-Code B

Distributor:  Anchor Bay

#15 of 20 sonomatom1

sonomatom1

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted May 10 2014 - 06:16 PM

I understand that the this version is dubbed in French and cannot be played in English; only English subtitles. Is that true>

#16 of 20 Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,346 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted May 11 2014 - 12:16 AM

I understand that the this version is dubbed in French and cannot be played in English; only English subtitles. Is that true>

I have the UK release which is fine, but it is locked to region B. The French release is multi-region, has English & French sound & no forced subs. I understand that the extras are just in French (but no extras at all on the UK version). So, if you don't have a multi-region machine (I don't), & are in the US, you need to buy the French release, a bit more expensive but you do get a nice cover.

http://www.amazon.fr...s at peking blu

#17 of 20 Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,156 posts

Posted May 11 2014 - 05:06 PM

No one has yet mentioned but does the UK 55 Days At Peking blu have the roadshow overture, intermission, entrac'te and exit music intact?

#18 of 20 David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,441 posts

Posted May 11 2014 - 05:37 PM

No one has yet mentioned but does the UK 55 Days At Peking blu have the roadshow overture, intermission, entrac'te and exit music intact?

Yes.

#19 of 20 Robert George

Robert George

Screenwriter

• 1,014 posts

Posted May 15 2014 - 09:18 PM

The transfer on the UK Blu-ray is incredible, and yes, the UK cover art is incredibly boring.  I just finished this and uploaded it to EuphoricFX.org if anyone is interested.  Not quite the professional finish of a Nissen cover, but certainly prettier to look at than the UK cover.  This is also sized for a standard Blu-ray case, not the thicker UK cases.

• classicmovieguy likes this

#20 of 20 Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,156 posts

Posted June 02 2014 - 11:12 AM

Just got my British import 55 Days At Peking in the mail today and scanned it so I can add my voice to the chorus of approvals. A gorgeous pristine transfer and it sounds quite nice too. I'll have to check out Circus World next.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users