What's new

Need advice on my first home theater please (1 Viewer)

turbonerd12

Agent
Real Name
Emmi
I'm hoping someone can tell me if this set up sounds good. This will be a budget theater room- basically instead of spending $1200ish on a TV, we will get a projector and surround sound instead. Here's the projector I'm thinking of getting:
http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-PJD7820HD-3D-Ready-Projector-Composite/dp/B00BBM0664/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&srs=2530732011&ie=UTF8&qid=1392955950&sr=1-2&keywords=viewsonic
I will mount it upside down from the ceiling- we have a 18 inch drop in the ceiling in our rec room downstairs that covers the large beam that goes across the house. It is about 9 feet from the wall. The couch will be behind there so about 10-11 feet from the screen. We will buy a screen later once I set it up and see what size of a screen might work(or even paint the wall since it's pretty smooth and the only thing on it is an outlet which might be low enough anyway). The surround sound system I'm thinking of getting is this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/1000w-5-1-ch-3d-smart-blu-ray-home-theater-system/7928105.p?id=1218863183339&skuId=7928105&st=samsung%20blu-ray%205.1%20channel%20home%20theater%20system&cp=1&lp=2
So to my understanding... since the system has a blu-ray player and receiver built in, I would connect the HDMI "out" to the projector and my directv genie would go into the HDMI "in"? All I need is the projector, this home theater sound system and some high speed HDMI cables?
Thanks for the help!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The only issue with HTiB HDMI inputs, they are often(would say all, but I'm sure one day one will show up that can) relegated to 2.0 pcm. The only input That accepts DD is the optical. And forget DTS into it(read the manual for that as well).But, if crap sound is what you want...craptastic HTiB is the way to go.

turbonerd12

Agent
Real Name
Emmi
Ok, like I stated before, I am on a budget and a beginner. I'm also not sure what 2.0 pcm means. Not sure what DD or DTS means. And would it really be crap? Maybe according to someone that frequently listens to surround sound...but for someone like me that is only used to TV speakers- wouldn't this be a good stepping stone for me? If you can tell me a good system under $400 for sound I will consider it.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Welcome to the forum Emmi :)You should google the terms Sam is using, you should also google the basics of home theater to familiarize yourself with the fundamentals. I would search amazon for onkyo home theater and add a blu ray player for another $100. It still wont be a great system but at least its a real AVR and blu ray player.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
The major drawback to budget HTiB systems is that when the time comes that you decide to improve the system, the entire thing will need to be ditched.

The speakers can't be used with any other device.
The subwoofer can't be used with any other device.
You can't use other speakers or subwoofers with that receiver unit.

I did check the manual for that model, and it DOES support both Dolby Digital (DD) and DTS audio formats over its HDMI input (see page 17). This IS unusual for a budget system. Sam was alluding to the fact that most budget systems will only "read" simple stereo (2.0) from any connected device. With this system, you can connect your Hi-Def cable or satellite box to the system and enjoy 5.1 audio for Hi-Def stations.

All of that being said, we strongly recommend at least stepping up to a "pre-packaged" system. These cost a bit more, but are built around an actual, fully-featured A/V Receiver which will provide an upgrade path for you later on. The speakers are still not the best, but at least with a pre-packaged system, you will have the option to upgrade piecemeal later on.

If your budget is tight, consider the options at Accessories4Less - they are highly regarded and offer factory refurbs with warranties on decent systems.

Of the systems listed there, the Denon with Boston Acoustics speakers is great and only $50 more than the Samsung system. Scroll down to the Onkyo 5600 for $400 - another excellent choice. Either of these is a much better performer and a much better investment for you.

Avoid systems that use a passive subwoofer (the Onkyo 3500, for example) as they will severely hamstring you later when you want to upgrade.

Yes, these systems will require that you get a separate Blu-ray player, but they're cheap too, and you'll wind up with a far superior system taking this approach.

turbonerd12

Agent
Real Name
Emmi
Thanks for all your suggestions. I think that I will go with one of those systems. Which is better: Denon or Onkyo? We do have a blu-ray player already but it's about 5 years old and I'm not sure how good it is. Have those changed much or would it be fine? What do you think of the projector? Is that a decent one?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
First off, that projector is a business projector, NOT designed for home theater. Second, it's WAY too bright for your situation, even with the bulb set to low power mode. If I'm reading your post correctly, the throw distance(lens to screen) will be 9 feet? With a 9' throw and 100" diagonal screen, it will put out 96 foot lamberts. That will be like looking into the sun.With your seating distance, screen size should be about 106" diagonal.Is your projector budget about $700? If so, your choices are pretty limited. The only other decent one around $700 is the Acer 6510.

turbonerd12

Agent
Real Name
Emmi
The budget would be around $700... I could go up to $800 though. We are actually rethinking our seating area now. Here are the options of the room layout. I think option B would be better. Don't mind my drawings, they aren't exactly to scale. The grey rectangle across the picture is where the ceiling is about 18 inches lower to cover the large beam going across the house for support.
Basement Option A.jpg

Basement Option B.jpg

Forgot to add in option B we would be using an L shaped couch that we currently have upstairs.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Even at $800, the Acer 6510 is the only option. This is based on a 9' throw distance and 106" diagonal screen. If you had $900, I would say the Benq W1070.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Love how edit is broken in Tapatalk again...Even if you spent $1000 on your projector, Paint for the projector wall can be bought for $150. What color are you painting the rest of the walls?(doubt they are dark)

turbonerd12

Agent
Real Name
Emmi
We did not pick out the paint colors for the rest of the walls so I'm open to that. Right now they are a tan color. I was leaning towards buying the Denon 1513 system.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
turbonerd12 said:
Which layout option do you think would work best for our house? BTW- Jim, I'm from Hartford, WI. :)
Hey neighbor, kind of !! It looks like Option A would have less light shining on the screen, correct? If so, that's what I would do.

Sam, $150 for screen paint? You MUST be talking about that TERRIBLY overpriced GOO paint. Fuggetaboutit!!

Emmi, check out the DIY Screen section at Avsforum. They can help you out with a paint for your situation and projector.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Jim Mcc said:
Hey neighbor, kind of !! It looks like Option A would have less light shining on the screen, correct? If so, that's what I would do. Sam, $150 for screen paint? You MUST be talking about that TERRIBLY overpriced GOO paint. Fuggetaboutit!!
I was just throwing a number.I do know the Sherwin gloss white(er, whatever PC.com mentions) is around $100-$125 for that size.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Honestly, if I was just starting out in this hobby, I would start by purchasing a decent TV before going front projection. Actually, I would weight my spending to the sound system side of it and purchase an economical TV. I know a lot of guys say display first, but when I got into it, I found I could live with a smaller display just as long as the sound was big and good quality. Once I was happy with the speaker set up and receiver, then I concentrated on changing the display.

Front projection does give you a larger screen up front, but it also takes more setup and maintenance in the form of bulb replacement. A TV set with a really good sound system is more versatile for a beginning set up than a projection system.

turbonerd12

Agent
Real Name
Emmi
I get what you mean about getting a good TV, but my husband is pretty set on a projector. He wants a BIG screen.

Honestly, there is one TINY window downstairs that I can buy blinds or a shade for. Other than that, it's pretty dark down there!

I think I'm going to go with the Denon sound system and the Acer projector and paint the wall.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
turbonerd12 said:
I get what you mean about getting a good TV, but my husband is pretty set on a projector. He wants a BIG screen.

Honestly, there is one TINY window downstairs that I can buy blinds or a shade for. Other than that, it's pretty dark down there!

I think I'm going to go with the Denon sound system and the Acer projector and paint the wall.
Good decision. Ignore the buy a TV statement. Then it would just be a room with a TV in it, NOT a theater. Make sure to paint the ceiling and the other walls as dark as possible. The darker the room, the better the image.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks