What's new

denon AVR-4520ci newest upgrade to my home theater. (1 Viewer)

fattkt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
Hello I recently upgraded my receiver do to the fact my onkyo tx-nr708 had the hdmi board burnt up on me after 2.5 yrs of owning it. Does any one here have this receiver and have you had any issues with it? I did alot of research on it and it seem to be one of the best fits for me do it its power output, networking abilities and mobile app options. Just wish it had blue tooth and built in wifi. The wifi issue I personally took care of with a neargear universal wifi adapter. Its pretty much a cat5 wifi dongle. Easy set up you push the wps button on the adapter and the wps button on home router and is set up in about 30 seconds. Boom you now have wifi and the router is smaller than a deck of play cards.Ive only owned this receiver for a week now and like it, but just wanted some personal opinions of people that have had this receiver and have had the chance to use it for a while and find out its issuses if any.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Man thats impressive. Triple hdmi output counting the zone 4 plus component, preouts from hell, "Audyssey Platinum"...we need to get one of these in for review.

fattkt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
Yeah I was looking on here for a review for it and hadn't found one.
Its seems to be one heck of a receiver. Its one of the best upgrades ive done to my theater this yr. Then after purchasing this I decided I needed to up grade my subwoofer too. I bought an HSU VTF-15H was also looking on here for a review for this subwoofer and didnt find one. Im very impressed with this sub, and I havent really done much tuning or ran audyssey yet and it sounds amazing. It replaced my dual powered 12 set up I did have.

fattkt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
Threw denon direct msrp is 2499 but if you look on ebay you can pick it up for 1400 to 1700 brand new.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You won't find a bad review of an HSU subwoofer. They're one of the most respected names in the subwoofer market. I have a 10" model, though it's branded as a Dayton/HSU.

The Denon 4520 is a top notch receiver. Hard to find fault with it. I've always found Denon's a bit hard to setup and operate but it might be because I have so little experience with them. There is a website dedicated to "Denonspeak".

http://batpigworld.com/wp/

fattkt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
Thanks for the info. Ive been so impressed with this sub ive been thinking seriously about ordering another vtf-15h and running duals. Plus im looking at purchasing a house with a basement that has a bigger room to dedicate as just a theater room.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
"Plus im looking at purchasing a house with a basement that has a bigger room to dedicate as just a theater room."

Now there's someone with their prioreties in order. We're buying bigger speakers and amps to improve the HT experience, you're thinking about buying a bigger house!

BTW, nice receiver and sub, but what speakers do you have?

fattkt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
Whats funny is this my theater system all started off as a small pioneer home theater in a box from walmart in 2006 and a 27" flat screen tube style Phillips tv. Now ive got a 55" samsung 1080p led 3d smart tv with 240hz refresh rate, a samsung 3d bluray witch im replacing with a oppo asap, denon avr-4520ci receiver, HSU vtf-15h subwoofer, yamaha ns-777 towers, yamaha ns-c444 center, yamaha ns-333 book shelfs as surrounds and infinity primus 150's as back surround speakers.

I also have my old subs a polk psw12 an infinity ps 212 and a custom sub I built a couple yrs back. Its a custom built 3 port design with a tc sound lmsr 12" sub then when I get it back from Onkyo a tx-nr708 receiver. Im probably just going to sell these off and try and offset some of the 2700 I shelled out this yr on my upgrades. Onkyo for some reason decided to do a one time out of warranty repair on my tx-nr708 right after the purchase of my new receiver! Lol

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
fattkt said:
Thanks for the info. Ive been so impressed with this sub ive been thinking seriously about ordering another vtf-15h and running duals. Plus im looking at purchasing a house with a basement that has a bigger room to dedicate as just a theater room.
Not sure their policy on time frame but if you order it soon enough youll likely still get the "dual drive" discount. You might need to call them for it though since you already have one sub. I got that discount for both my VTFs and MBMs. ;)

fattkt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
Ok I decided to order one more hsu vtf-15h. Now im done with my theater for quite some, cause the wife is really getting pissed at my addiction! Lol

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My gf plays the upright bass. Has one set up perfectly in the living room(hums along with the HT at times). Therefore, I'm lucky...

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Congrats Tim. The nice thing about good subs is theyre the last thing you will want or need to upgrade, even after many years of service. Ill take the heat, it was my idea so give my regards to the wife ;)

fattkt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
"The nice thing about good subs is theyre the last thing you will want or need to upgrade, even after many years of service." Lol I show my wife that last post she said keep that post so she can go back and show me this post when I want to upgrade my subs again any time in the furture. She said these subs better be around to be willed to my children when I die!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
gene c said:
You won't find a bad review of an HSU subwoofer. They're one of the most respected names in the subwoofer market. I have a 10" model, though it's branded as a Dayton/HSU.

The Denon 4520 is a top notch receiver. Hard to find fault with it. I've always found Denon's a bit hard to setup and operate but it might be because I have so little experience with them. There is a website dedicated to "Denonspeak".

http://batpigworld.com/wp/
I've own several Denon receivers and they are a little more complicated to set up than a Onkyo receiver.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Yes, but Denon does have a nice combination performance, value and reliability. And I'm sure they get easier to live with over time.

fattkt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
I was going to run audyssey again today to set up my new sub but decided to wait unit my second sub gets here. Think its probably better this way, that way I only have to run it one last time and fine tune everything one last time. Sub should be there Wednesday if all goes right.Kinda excited. Should be the last subs I ever purchase.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Just grabbed one. My X4000 open box started acting up badly, so I made the choice to sell my amp, buy a 4520 (very cheap right now with new models coming out) and then send the X4000 in for repair. Will probably sell it afterwards.

Not really planning an UHD stuff for a couple of more years, so the 4520 is way more than I need power wise. Big fan of XT32 and dual sub eq since trying it on X4000.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Just got the beast in and setup. Good bit larger than an X4000, obviously more amp under the hood if you look inside.

Also nice to see two fans, reminds me of my Onkyo 818 that ran very cool even when I pushed it hard.

Arrived with up to date FW.

IMG_2616_zps49ebdebf.jpg

IMG_2617_zps4f850242.jpg

IMG_2619_zps6e90052a.jpg

FYI, I ran spears and munsil and it Denon passes thru without mucking with the video signal per test patterns. I have video conversion and IP scaler off however. I know this is usually a given, but I did own an Onkyo that mucked with the patterns even with that off...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks