What's new

In the Heat of the Night Remaining Seasons from TGG (1 Viewer)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Amazon is now showing listings for season 6, season 7, and a combined season 2/3 package. As with seasons 4 and 5, there are missing episodes--six from season 2, ten from season 3, one from season 6, five from season 7. The anticipated release date for all of them is March 11th.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I'm glad these sets are being released as well, and that TGG is basically finishing up the entire run. But the episodes they aren't able to clear often are very powerful stories and important to the overall arc in a given season. These would include:

S2 - Family Secret, The Hammer and the Glove, A Trip Upstate, and Walkout
S3 - Anniversary, My Name is Hank, and Citizen Trundel (Pts 1 & 2)
S4 - Brotherly Love (Pts 1 & 2)
S5 - Sweet, Sweet Blues, Sanctuary, and The Law on Trial
S6 - Random's Child
S7 - Dangerous Engagement

Gary "just glad I've got alt copies of all these so that I'm not missing any of my favorites from this great series" O.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
I cannot believe they are actually releasing these with so many episodes being omitted?! I don't understand why MGM cannot send them edited versions (with music substitutions) so they can include all episodes in their releases?! This is similar to Mill Creek and their release of Wiseguy where they omitted several music heavy episodes. I wonder how many people are actually going to buy these, almost half the episodes from S3 are missing, why spend money on these butchered releases?!

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
TVonDVDJunkie05 said:
I cannot believe they are actually releasing these with so many episodes being omitted?! I don't understand why MGM cannot send them edited versions (with music substitutions) so they can include all episodes in their releases?! This is similar to Mill Creek and their release of Wiseguy where they omitted several music heavy episodes. I wonder how many people are actually going to buy these, almost half the episodes from S3 are missing, why spend money on these butchered releases?!
Maybe MGM never prepared any edited versions with music substitutions. I'm not sure why they would have since it wouldn't be necessary for normal syndication and they apparently weren't interested in releasing it to DVD themselves. My guess is that MGM hasn't done anything with them and so when TGG licensed the material for a DVD release it was left totally to them to work it out. And it would appear TGG is very small and that this was the only way feasible to them.

I plan on picking them all up since they have been priced relatively cheap. I believe it ends up being something like 25 episodes missing out of a total of 150. For those that can fill out the missing episodes with TV captures this can be a workable compromise.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Just saw this quote from TGG posted by someone on the seasons 2 and 3 listing at Amazon. I can't validate its authenticity but thought it interesting enough to reference here.

"Hello,Thank you for your email. When TGG Direct licensed this series, there were episodes that had home video clearance issues such as music rights, etc. that prevent us from releasing the complete series. It is not in the authority of TGG Direct to authorize clearance nor are we provided the exact legal issue that is prohibiting the release of these excluded episodes. TGG felt it unfair to the fans of the show to not release the seasons due to missing episodes. We have no idea if or whether these episodes will ever be released on DVD.Many people are confused as to why digital downloads are available for episodes that are not released on DVD. The reason is that of the same nature as to why these episodes are available and shown on TV. Digital download is viewed the same as television and rights or clearance issues pertain to only in the format of home video.I hope this clears some issues up.Best,Michelle"

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
TVonDVDJunkie05 said:
You ask "why spend money on these butchered releases" but in the same paragraph you advocate releasing episodes with music substitutions. Um, okay...

I will reluctantly buy these because at least the episodes they are releasing will be complete. I wouldn't buy sets filled with music substitutions. Releases with music substitution (actually tampering with an episode) would fit the concept of "butchered releases" more than presenting fewer-but-unedited complete episodes.

Luckily, between WGN and This TV, I can record the missing episodes to disc. It won't make for a perfect collection, but close enough.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
You ask "why spend money on these butchered releases" but in the same paragraph you advocate releasing episodes with music substitutions. Um, okay...
What I meant was that IMO it would be better to release the episodes with some music substitutions rather than omitting them completely as TGG Direct has done. To each his own, but for me music is not a deal breaker (with the exception of a few shows- Happy Days, The Wonder Years & WKRP in Cincinnati), what I detest is releasing syndicated cuts instead of the original uncut versions. I am not very familiar with this series (I did not even know it had this much music in it to cause a problem with potential DVD releases), is the music an integral part of this show like say The Wonder Years or could these omitted episodes have been released without the music intact without affecting the quality of the episodes?!

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
My guess is that TGG would consider all options before determining a course of action. The fact that they waited on these particular seasons is a potential sign of this. In the end, the most costly alternatives to them were likely working out deals for the music or actually substituting the music. Leaving out episodes is obviously the easiest and cheapest approach. We know TGG can license prints, transfer, author and prepare them for release. Replacing music is a different skill set and possible an area they weren't prepared to take on.

I also would prefer a complete set from TGG, and would accept a few music replacements to get it done. However, this is what we are being provided, and at this price I'll happy purchase this rather than having syndicated TV captures.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
TVonDVDJunkie05 said:
I am not very familiar with this series (I did not even know it had this much music in it to cause a problem with potential DVD releases), is the music an integral part of this show like say The Wonder Years or could these omitted episodes have been released without the music intact without affecting the quality of the episodes?!
Sometimes the music was used just as something in the background. In other episodes, it's a special part of the show.

For example, in Season 5's "Sweet, Sweet Blues" the song that guest star Bobby Short is singing throughout the episode was specially written for the episode by Carroll O'Connor, and part of the lyrics are key to solving a murder. (I notice that the Season 7 sequel to this episode is also going to be missing.) Season 2's "The Hammer and the Glove" uses Lionel Richie's "Three Times a Lady" and hearing Richie singing lyrics such as "Nothing will keep us apart" while Tibbs' increasingly unstable old friend is forcing Althea to dance with him (since it used to be their song) fits the creepy vibe of the scene perfectly. The song used in Season 5's "Sanctuary" is song by O'Connor, and part of the time other characters are speaking off to the side, so you couldn't replace the song or delete the scene without ruining the moment. Season 7's "Singin' the Blues" has Crystal Fox's character singing in both her church and her boyfriend's nightclub, and her singing is a key component of the episode.

Those are just a few examples. Overall, I'd say that the use of music in the show (and particularly in the episodes not included in the DVDs) was a mixture of background and important.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, I decided to go ahead and order the sets, since it ain't gonna get any better, and between WGN and This TV I can complete the run, especially since WGN is back to airing two to three episodes per day starting next week.

My only issue right now is TGG's customary lateness seems to be in effect with S2/3, 6, and 7. The release date is supposed to be tomorrow, but Amazon is stumped as to when the sets will be available for shipping.

Oh well... it gives me some more time to get the missing episodes. WGN just aired a few of them this past weekend. And since the majority seem to be in seasons 2 and 3, I should have them by the time TGG finally releases the sets.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Since I was able to grab the missing episodes off WGN and This, I've finally started watching the series, and have made it to season 2. Music rights do seem to be the issue for 2 of the 3 of the skipped episodes.

As was said earlier, The Hammer and the Glove had Three Times A Lady as an integral part of a scene. And A Trip Upstate had an operatic piece, which was a major part of a scene, and I suppose could have presented rights issues.

But Family Reunion... I couldn't really hear any music in that episode, except for very low during one scene. And it was definitely replaceable if that was the stumbling block... as was Three Times A Lady, if it really came down to it. But I don't suppose that was in TGG's budget. So the exclusion of Family Reunion confuses me.

And yet another confusing part... another episode in S2 had the Fresh Prince/DJ Jazzy Jeff classic, "Parents Just Don't Understand" being played quite a bit throughout the episode, and it made the DVD. I'm not sure if it was a soundalike, or if the song was simple to clear, but it was there.

So all in all, the episode exclusions don't quite all make sense to me.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The one missing episode from Bat Masterson had no discernible music rights problems either. There must be some secondary concern that keeps MGM from providing certain episodes to TGG.

SheetMusic

Auditioning
Real Name
James
Gary OS said:
I'm glad these sets are being released as well, and that TGG is basically finishing up the entire run. But the episodes they aren't able to clear often are very powerful stories and important to the overall arc in a given season. These would include:

S2 - Family Secret, The Hammer and the Glove, A Trip Upstate, and Walkout
S3 - Anniversary, My Name is Hank, and Citizen Trundel (Pts 1 & 2)
S4 - Brotherly Love (Pts 1 & 2)
S5 - Sweet, Sweet Blues, Sanctuary, and The Law on Trial
S6 - Random's Child
S7 - Dangerous Engagement

Gary "just glad I've got alt copies of all these so that I'm not missing any of my favorites from this great series" O.
Gary, in season 5 episode 21 "Sanctuary," can you tell me the name of the song shown on the sheet music that Father DiMarco sat down and played with Bill Gillespie? If that isn't the correct episode, then try season 5 episode 22 "The Law On Trial." I'd greatly appreciate any help you can offer -- I've been trying to find this info for some time. Thanks!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
SheetMusic said:
Gary, in season 5 episode 21 "Sanctuary," can you tell me the name of the song shown on the sheet music that Father DiMarco sat down and played with Bill Gillespie? If that isn't the correct episode, then try season 5 episode 22 "The Law On Trial." I'd greatly appreciate any help you can offer -- I've been trying to find this info for some time. Thanks!
It was at the end of "Sanctuary" (a fantastic episode, btw) and the song was called "Don't Ever Forget Me" in English. In Italian I believe it's spelled this way (as best my eyeballs can tell): "NON TI SCORDAR DI ME." Now, I'm not positive that's the spelling because my copy of this episode is off WGN and it's a tad blurry. But I think that's correct.

Gary "glad to help" O.

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
This is disappointing. I've only caught the show a few times but my mother loves it! I wanted to buy a few DVDs for her. She always misses the s3 episode "Anniversary" when it's on. I can't believe incomplete seasons have been released. Any possibility of this situation improving?

What about the DVDs image quality? I'm assuming it maintains the original aspect ratio & isn't zoomed in like WGN airings. Thanks!!

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I've only caught the show a few times but my mother loves it! I wanted to buy a few DVDs for her. She always misses the s3 episode "Anniversary" when it's on.
Your mother may already be aware of this, but even though "Anniversary" was the 6th episode to air during the 3rd season, whenever This TV and WGN rerun it, they usually place it right after the final episode of Season 2 ("Missing").

"Anniversary" resolves the Season 2 cliffhanger (Gillespie's kidnapping and Dugan's murder). Season 3 was when Carroll O'Connor, having recovered from his heart bypass, returned and took over as executive producer. My guess is he wanted to start out with some strong episodes that weren't about resolving the previous regime's storylines before eventually going back and tying up those loose ends. In syndication, they used to run the episodes in order by original air date, and during the last scene of Season 2, a note was put on the screen giving a quick summary of the resolution to the cliffhanger, I guess to keep viewers from getting confused. (Still seemed silly to add a spoiler when the resolution episode would still air soon enough.)

So the next time your mother sees that the Joe Don Baker episodes from Season 2 are on, tell her to keep watching, because "Anniversary" should be next.

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
They just skipped the two parter all together recently. We'll get it eventually. Lol. Just wish the DVDs were complete.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
smithbrad said:
I plan on picking them all up since they have been priced relatively cheap. I believe it ends up being something like 25 episodes missing out of a total of 150. For those that can fill out the missing episodes with TV captures this can be a workable compromise.
Are you talking about something like what was done for the full release of M Squad from Timeless Media?

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
No, I'm talking from a fan perspective. Being able to pickup the majority of the shows through commercials means and filling in the gaps with personal TV captures, or from alternative means may not be the perfect solution, but I prefer it to not having been released in any form at all. ITHOTN plays on some channel fairly regularly to be captured, and then are other means of getting them, if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks