Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

70MM FILMS -HOW MANY HAVE YOU SEEN?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#141 of 146 ONLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,852 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted March 06 2014 - 08:23 AM

I saw 2001 twice last year at the Bfi Southbank in 70mm and as they own the print and have put in new Kinoton 35/70mm projectors in NFT 1 and still
have projectionists they will still run the 70mm print.

Also the print I have seen at Bradford is a much sharper 70mm print then the one the BFI own.

Odeon Cinemas have got rid of 95% of projectionists and Tech people , its sad times indeed.

But since BFI owns the print. What will happen as the print ages and get ragged over use. Get a new one? The answer might not be what we want

Special venues and organizations will fight to their last breath to continue to present 70mm but as time passes so will 70mm.

#142 of 146 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,717 posts

Posted March 06 2014 - 01:57 PM

There are different 70mm prints out for 2001 by the way and the one I saw a few years ago looked more like 35mm so you never know what you get before you attend a screening of 2001.

I remember they struck a couple new ones for the late 2001/early 2002 re-release - I believe they actually shipped a 70mm projector with the print to certain locations.  I remember reading at the time that they had made two different prints, and I remember seeing both in different cities.  There was a 35mm print that had been used in the NYC area by several different theaters, I started to recognize familiar scratches from different viewings over the years :)   Still, even with a little print damage, it was always incredible.  70mm was my preference but 35mm wasn't bad either.

I've seen the "2001" DCP projected on, I think, three or four different occasions, and to me, there's virtually no difference in watching that DCP vs. watching the Blu-ray at home.  The revival screens aren't that much bigger than a large TV anyway, so the whole experience isn't optimal.  It's usually misframed too - I imagine it's encoded with the 2.20:1 image inside a 16x9 frame, and the last couple times I've seen it, they had the screen opened for 1.85:1, and then black bars projected as part of the image.  They also let it run without a break during the intermission - the title card comes up, the lights stay down, and the entr'acte just starts right up.  Ugh.  Either skip the intermission title card and the break music, or actually take an intermission.  No one seems to care anymore.  I'll admit, I'm the guy who still has a record player, so I might just be a snob.. but when I go to a theater to see a showing of a classic film, I don't want to see the Blu-ray I have at home, I want to see an old fashioned film print, something that I could never show in my home.  If it's just going to be the exact same experience, I might as well save the cash and stay put.

I'd love to make it out to Seattle one day for their 70mm festival.  It's just sad that in a big city like New York, you can't even see a film shown on film anymore.

#143 of 146 OFFLINE   cinerama10

cinerama10

Second Unit

• 359 posts

Posted March 06 2014 - 02:11 PM

If you cannot stand pink prints than 70mm is basically dead as a film format, there are only a few unfaded prints out there of the most popular movies and everything else has not been reprinted recently and therefore is only available in pink. The good thing is that in a short time most of the bigger and more popular titles will be available as 4k DCPs which will be a good substitute for 70mm if done right. Some like Ben Hur, Lawrence of Arabia and the Sound of Music already are available.

And I can understand walking out of a 1080p Video presentation of a Cinerama movie - that is not what I would expect to see in a movie theater.

Can you tell us a bit more about the Bronstons and the circumstances around you finding those prints? I have to say that I am curious with regard to the question of who put them there in the first place, they surely must have belonged to somebody at some point? Although with the FOTBE (Fall of the Bronston Empire) I can imagine that there must have been some chaos when it all went down.

In any case it must have been fantastic to discover and then watch them with the colors intact and in pristine condition! I take it these were El Cid, 55 Days, FOTRE and Circus World, probably still in the 70ies? Did all of these prints remain at the NFT/BFI?

SOUTH SEAS ADVENTURE  wasn't  a bore.It was one of the best of the  Cinerama travelogues. If you saw it  in its original release (like I did many times)

you would have seen it on a  proper  Cinerama screen and in glorious color. Like all of the Cinerama travelogues  ,professional actors  were used for some of the  roles. but  you never knew this  when you saw the films.Cinerama Inc   were broke and couldn't  afford to look after the original negatives   and they   let them rot in a  basement  that was subject to water leakage. One of the most important  periods  of cinema history was thus lost for future generations to enjoy.Now we only have the memories of  the great experience of many decades  ago. That  experience  will NEVER return,. If you never experienced  Cinerama in the  fifties and   early sixties,then  you are not in a position to  claim that     SSA was boring. This film was released in an era  where few people   travelled overseas. Cinerama  gave them  an experience  that  was the next best thing..Yes  we now have a   faded colored version on bluray but that   is nothing like   seeing the film as it was meant to be seen.The documentaries are a  time tunnel of an era  long gone..

#144 of 146 OFFLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 833 posts

Posted March 06 2014 - 02:17 PM

I remember they struck a couple new ones for the late 2001/early 2002 re-release - I believe they actually shipped a 70mm projector with the print to certain locations.  I remember reading at the time that they had made two different prints, and I remember seeing both in different cities.  There was a 35mm print that had been used in the NYC area by several different theaters, I started to recognize familiar scratches from different viewings over the years :)   Still, even with a little print damage, it was always incredible.  70mm was my preference but 35mm wasn't bad either.

I've seen the "2001" DCP projected on, I think, three or four different occasions, and to me, there's virtually no difference in watching that DCP vs. watching the Blu-ray at home.  The revival screens aren't that much bigger than a large TV anyway, so the whole experience isn't optimal.  It's usually misframed too - I imagine it's encoded with the 2.20:1 image inside a 16x9 frame, and the last couple times I've seen it, they had the screen opened for 1.85:1, and then black bars projected as part of the image.  They also let it run without a break during the intermission - the title card comes up, the lights stay down, and the entr'acte just starts right up.  Ugh.  Either skip the intermission title card and the break music, or actually take an intermission.  No one seems to care anymore.  I'll admit, I'm the guy who still has a record player, so I might just be a snob.. but when I go to a theater to see a showing of a classic film, I don't want to see the Blu-ray I have at home, I want to see an old fashioned film print, something that I could never show in my home.  If it's just going to be the exact same experience, I might as well save the cash and stay put.

I'd love to make it out to Seattle one day for their 70mm festival.  It's just sad that in a big city like New York, you can't even see a film shown on film anymore.

The bluray of 2001 seems to me to be more like an aspect ratio of 1:85 rather than 2:20.

#145 of 146 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,688 posts

Posted March 06 2014 - 02:33 PM

SOUTH SEAS ADVENTURE  wasn't  a bore.It was one of the best of the  Cinerama travelogues. If you saw it  in its original release (like I did many times)

you would have seen it on a  proper  Cinerama screen and in glorious color. Like all of the Cinerama travelogues  ,professional actors  were used for some of the  roles. but  you never knew this  when you saw the films.Cinerama Inc   were broke and couldn't  afford to look after the original negatives   and they   let them rot in a  basement  that was subject to water leakage. One of the most important  periods  of cinema history was thus lost for future generations to enjoy.Now we only have the memories of  the great experience of many decades  ago. That  experience  will NEVER return,. If you never experienced  Cinerama in the  fifties and   early sixties,then  you are not in a position to  claim that     SSA was boring. This film was released in an era  where few people   travelled overseas. Cinerama  gave them  an experience  that  was the next best thing..Yes  we now have a   faded colored version on bluray but that   is nothing like   seeing the film as it was meant to be seen.The documentaries are a  time tunnel of an era  long gone..

I did not even comment on the story of South Seas Adventure, you probably wanted to address Adrian? What I stand by is that I do not think that 1080p digital can be a suitable replacement for a three panel Cinerama movie. 

#146 of 146 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,688 posts

Posted March 06 2014 - 02:42 PM

The bluray of 2001 seems to me to be more like an aspect ratio of 1:85 rather than 2:20.

It is almost exactly in the 2.20:1 aspect ratio, give or take a percent:

http://www.blu-ray.c...=511&position=6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users