What's new

70MM FILMS -HOW MANY HAVE YOU SEEN? (1 Viewer)

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
I saw 174 feature films in 70mm (excluding Imax). plus numerous 70mm shorts. Can anyone beat this record?

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I don't think I can beat that record, and I began in the late '50s. Would love to see the list.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I seen so many 70mm screenings since the early 1970s and still go to Bradford every year and attend 70mm showingsat the BFI Southbank today.Being in London I have seen so many original 70mm prints in NFT 1, MOMI/NFT 3 over the years including all in theDavid Lean, Charlton Heston seasons, many Dolby Demos and rare print sceenings.I have seen most of the Original 70mm features, shorts, and count myself lucky as I saw them just before theyall turned pink as most Large Format is now showing in Digital.I 1995 I saw 4 70mm screenings in 1 day for Cinema 100 day.I have booked my seat for this years WSW at Bradford I still count myself lucky that they brought back D-150 atthe Odeon Marble Arch for Star Wars in 1978.I must have seen Hundreds...

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I have just checked the list of 70mm films shown in London from 70mm.com and I saw 109 of them.Those were the days...

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh
I was lucky enough to live near a city (Glasgow) which had several 70mm houses plus Cinerama in the 60s and 70s, but I doubt if I could beat 174.Like DP70, I get the opportunity to catch up on many of them in Bradford every spring.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Of all the moviegoing data I've compiled over the last few decades, one of the categories I overlooked is 70mm. I may have seen some 70mm screenings at Broadway theaters in the 1960s and '70s, like BATTLE OF THE BULGE (1965), but I honestly don't recall which ones beyond that for sure. More recently, I've attended IMAX screenings of things like TRANSFORMERS 3, DARK KNIGHT RISES and PACIFIC RIM, but those are few and far between. I did go see THE MASTER in 70mm at the Ziegfeld a year or so ago, but I had trouble staying awake during it and walked out before it ended.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Its me again, I just remembered the short season of 70mm screenings at the Astoria Charing Cross in 1976 over 7films and also at the Dominion before it also finished as a cinema, and the all night 70mm showings of the Alienfilms at the BFI Imax and at Cambridge Picture House.I was on holiday in Newquay and even saw The Towering Inferno in 70mm at the Camalot Cinema.I did see The Master in London and I must say i nearly did walk out but as it was in 70 I had to wait to see theend credits.It would be good to know of the best 70mm presentation people have seen.thanks.

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
I am not sure what the OP - Cinerama10 - is asking here. Certainly everyone's responses so far are inconsistent.

A: Do you mean the number of times you have been to the cinema to see a 70mm presentation which might, for instance, include the fourth or eighth viewing of, say, Ben-Hur. In which case several hundred might well be feasible.

B: Or are you asking how many films MADE in 65mm/70mm have you seen in their original format which would mean that each title can only be counted once. In which case your total of 175 could not be achieved. Or that a film like The Towering Inferno, cited by DP70, could not be included as it was not shot in 65mm/70mm. Or if you only ever saw Mutiny on the Bounty in 35mm that would not count either.

C: And are you including blow-ups?

Personally, for me to get involved in this game, you need to set the rules. I only really only approve option B.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
Sadly, all my 70mm experiences were blow ups in the 1980s. I am aware of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Top Gun, The Untouchables, and (I think) Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, though not entirely certain on the last one. Would love to see some true 70mm sometime, but living in Philly, that's not likely to happen.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
DP 70 said:
I have just checked the list of 70mm films shown in London from 70mm.com and I saw 109 of them.Those were the days...
Looking at that London list, I saw 35 genuine 70mm films (most first run but a few as reissues) and 75 70mm blow-ups, making a total of 110. So I beat you by 1. :D

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I missed out on the true Cinerama films, but saw every one of the Super/Ultra Panavision films in 70mm, beginning with IAMMMMW, then thru ICE STATION ZEBRA, 2001, GRAND PRIX, etc. I also caught an amazing 70mm showing of Disney's SLEEPING BEAUTY on Broadway for a re-release. Beyond those, I am sure I saw others in NYC, but don't know which were presented in 70mm vs. 35mm.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Short list for me. As under rule B. ICE STATION ZEBRABEN-HURLAWRENCE OF ARABIAKHARTOUM2001: A SPACE ODESSYOKLAHOMA!THE SOUND OF MUSICHELLO DOLLYPATTONAIRPORTI have seen several blow-up 70mm such as Cocoon 2, Indy, Star Wars, Doctor Zhivago, ET, ETC. But I don't really count those.

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
These are the films, shot in 65/70mm which I saw in that format:

The Agony and the Ecstasy
The Alamo
Barabbas
The Battle of the Bulge
Ben-Hur
The Bible . . . in the beginning
Cheyenne Autumn
Cleopatra
Custer of the West
El Cid
Exodus
55 Days at Peking
The Fall of the Roman Empire
Far and Away
Grand Prix
The Greatest Story Ever Told
The Hallelujah Trail
Hello Dolly
Ice Station Zebra
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Khartoum
King of Kings
Krakatoa East of Java
LaFayette
Lawrence of Arabia
Lord Jim
McKenna's Gold
The Magnificent Showman (Circus World)
Mutiny on the Bounty
My Fair Lady
Patton
Playtime
Porgy and Bess
Ryan's Daughter
South Pacific
Spartacus
Star!
2001: A Space Odyssey
Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines
War and Peace (USSR)
West Side Story

I think that makes 41 in all.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
AdrianTurner said:

The Alamo
Barabbas
The Battle of the Bulge
Ben-Hur
Cheyenne Autumn
Cleopatra
El Cid
Exodus
55 Days at Peking
Far and Away
Grand Prix
The Hallelujah Trail
Hello Dolly
Ice Station Zebra
Khartoum
King of Kings
Krakatoa East of Java
LaFayette
Lawrence of Arabia
Lord Jim
McKenna's Gold
Mutiny on the Bounty
My Fair Lady
Patton
Playtime
Porgy and Bess
Ryan's Daughter
South Pacific
Spartacus
Star!
War and Peace (USSR)
West Side Story

I think that makes 40 in all.
I missed about 6 from Adrian's list but caught one he missed(or forgot)-The Flaming Years- Russia's first 70mm which had a brief season at the Coliseum in London. Also I was able to catch Black Cauldron at the Chinese in Hollywood and although a blow up,The Empire Strike's Back, in D150 at the Egyptian .

My fondest memory, however, was waiting for a friend outside the Metropole in London waiting to see Lawrence again(I had seen the uncut version at the Odeon) and ,as he did not turn up, changing my mind and trying to decide between Cleopatra and How the west was Won. Cinerama won out over Todd AO. Those were the days!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
AdrianTurner said:
These are the films, shot in 65/70mm which I saw in that format:The Agony and the EcstasyThe AlamoBarabbasThe Battle of the BulgeBen-HurThe Bible . . . in the beginningCheyenne AutumnCleopatraEl CidExodus55 Days at PekingThe Fall of the Roman EmpireFar and AwayGrand PrixThe Greatest Story Ever ToldThe Hallelujah TrailHello DollyIce Station ZebraIt's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad WorldKhartoumKing of KingsKrakatoa East of JavaLaFayetteLawrence of ArabiaLord JimMcKenna's GoldThe Magnificent Showman (Circus World)Mutiny on the BountyMy Fair LadyPattonPlaytimePorgy and BessRyan's DaughterSouth PacificSpartacusStar!2001: A Space OdysseyThose Magnificent Men in Their Flying MachinesWar and Peace (USSR)West Side StoryI think that makes 40 in all.
Damn good list.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
AdrianTurner said:

The Alamo
Barabbas
The Battle of the Bulge
Ben-Hur
Cheyenne Autumn
Cleopatra
El Cid
Exodus
55 Days at Peking
Far and Away
Grand Prix
The Hallelujah Trail
Hello Dolly
Ice Station Zebra
Khartoum
King of Kings
Krakatoa East of Java
LaFayette
Lawrence of Arabia
Lord Jim
McKenna's Gold
Mutiny on the Bounty
My Fair Lady
Patton
Playtime
Porgy and Bess
Ryan's Daughter
South Pacific
Spartacus
Star!
War and Peace (USSR)
West Side Story

I think that makes 40 in all.
Adrian's list beats me by several. I don't know why I never got to see EL CID in 70mm and I'd liked to have seen THE ALAMO and 55 DAYS AT PEKING as well. I caught up with KING OF KINGS at an NFT showing and caught up with the 70mm version of BEN-HUR around about 1964 when the roadshow version played at the Empire in continuous performaces. A few I saw on first release which aren't on his list (although I can well understand why he didn't want to see them!) are THE SOUND OF MUSIC, DOCTOR DOLITTLE, CUSTER OF THE WEST and DERSU UZALA (USSR) (which played at the Curzon, Mayfair)..

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
DP 70 said:
I seen so many 70mm screenings since the early 1970s and still go to Bradford every year and attend 70mm showingsat the BFI Southbank today.Being in London I have seen so many original 70mm prints in NFT 1, MOMI/NFT 3 over the years including all in theDavid Lean, Charlton Heston seasons, many Dolby Demos and rare print sceenings.I have seen most of the Original 70mm features, shorts, and count myself lucky as I saw them just before theyall turned pink as most Large Format is now showing in Digital.I 1995 I saw 4 70mm screenings in 1 day for Cinema 100 day.I have booked my seat for this years WSW at Bradford I still count myself lucky that they brought back D-150 atthe Odeon Marble Arch for Star Wars in 1978.I must have seen Hundreds...
It is unlikely that STAR WARS was shown on the full D150 screen .The system was copyright so they would have had to get permission to use the entire screen. I saw two 70mm films at the Rivoli cinema in New York. SAND PEBBLES and SERGEANT PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND .They had a D150 screen but never used the entire screen. It was always slightly smaller when used for 70mm. They never had nor screened a D150 film. during the many years that they had the D150 screen installed.I thought that STAR WARS should have been called STAR BORES! The acting for two of the leads was pathetic. I also managed to see HEAVENS GATE in 70mm during its brief 2 week season in New York. It was also shown in Los Angeles in 70mm for 2 weeks at the same time as its NYC screening. It was never shown anywhere else in 70mm after those 2 brief seasons.It was also heavily cut for all future 35mm screenings.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
bujaki said:
I don't think I can beat that record, and I began in the late '50s. Would love to see the list.
Send me you email address and I will email you the list. Mine is :cinerama10hotmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks