Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is It Time To Replace My Oppo?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 of 31 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 13 2014 - 12:33 PM

Have you got their email address?

https://www.oppodigi.../contactus.aspx

If in the UK then the one below but i don't think the Oppo BD-83 was released officially her so it's the USA contact for that one.

http://www.oppodigit...s/support-form/

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#22 of 31 OFFLINE   tele1962

tele1962

Second Unit

• 418 posts

Posted July 13 2014 - 12:49 PM

https://www.oppodigi.../contactus.aspx

If in the UK then the one below but i don't think the Oppo BD-83 was released officially her so it's the USA contact for that one.

http://www.oppodigit...s/support-form/

unfortunately Mal they need FW version etc to ask a question, I don't have the player at the moment so if you get time will you ask them? :)

#23 of 31 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 13 2014 - 12:52 PM

unfortunately Mal they need FW version etc to ask a question, I don't have the player at the moment so if you get time will you ask them? :)

You can find out the latest firmware at this page.  https://www.oppodigi...83-Support.aspx

Latest Official Release Version

Release date: March 7, 2012. 
Category: Latest Official Release

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'OpenSans-Regular';]Main Version: BDP83-59-0117[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'OpenSans-Regular';]Loader Version: BE2800 or BT0500[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'OpenSans-Regular';]Sub Version: MCU83-27-0326[/color]

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#24 of 31 OFFLINE   tele1962

tele1962

Second Unit

• 418 posts

Posted July 13 2014 - 01:02 PM

Email sent. :)

#25 of 31 OFFLINE   tele1962

tele1962

Second Unit

• 418 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 10:44 AM

No reply to my email, so contacted OPPO UK, they no longer support the 83 with FW but added that they have not had any complaints about discs not playing. :) 

#26 of 31 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 16 2014 - 11:00 AM

No reply to my email, so contacted OPPO UK, they no longer support the 83 with FW but added that they have not had any complaints about discs not playing. :) 

I guess like most companies they support for a limited number of years and then expect you to upgrade to their newer players.

#27 of 31 OFFLINE   tele1962

tele1962

Second Unit

• 418 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 11:55 AM

Mal what settings do you use for DVD playback?

#28 of 31 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 16 2014 - 12:19 PM

Mal what settings do you use for DVD playback?

I would set it to 1080p for dvd playback and let the Oppo handle the scaling, i don't really watch much in the way of dvd these days, i notice edge enhancement too easily and very few dvd's don't have the sharpening turned up.

#29 of 31 OFFLINE   tele1962

tele1962

Second Unit

• 418 posts

Posted July 17 2014 - 12:16 PM

Watched the Shameless release of The Phantom Of Death DVD last night and although the PQ was poor I felt the OPPO handled it better than my PS3. :) 

#30 of 31 OFFLINE   handsomep

handsomep

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted August 27 2014 - 03:46 PM

I am having a similar problem. My BDP-83 plays Blu-ray discs but all DVDs generate an "unknown disc" error. I spoke with Oppo and the person I spoke with recommended cleaning the laser.

I updated the firmware about 6 months ago (before that the DVD's played fine) and somehow I feel like the firmware update may have introduced the problem (though it's not supposed to obviously).

Also, if the laser was dirty, wouldn't that affect the playback of Blu-ray discs? Oppo tech support said that it was a different laser for Blu-ray and for regular DVDs. I was wondering if someone could confirm that before I open it up to clean the laser? I'm sure it's a relatively simple and safe procedure, but I don't want to do it unless I feel a little more confident that it is necessary.

Thank you!

#31 of 31 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 27 2014 - 11:16 PM

I am having a similar problem. My BDP-83 plays Blu-ray discs but all DVDs generate an "unknown disc" error. I spoke with Oppo and the person I spoke with recommended cleaning the laser.

I updated the firmware about 6 months ago (before that the DVD's played fine) and somehow I feel like the firmware update may have introduced the problem (though it's not supposed to obviously).

Also, if the laser was dirty, wouldn't that affect the playback of Blu-ray discs? Oppo tech support said that it was a different laser for Blu-ray and for regular DVDs. I was wondering if someone could confirm that before I open it up to clean the laser? I'm sure it's a relatively simple and safe procedure, but I don't want to do it unless I feel a little more confident that it is necessary.

Thank you!

Yes there are two lasers, for dvd it's a 650nm pitch red laser and for blu ray it's a 405nm pitch violet laser.

I don't know if you have a laser issue though it's always worth cleaning them from time to time, now having said that i believe my firmware for the BD-83 is the same as your firmware and i can play dvd's fine, try cleaning it and report back what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users