What's new

Is It Time To Replace My Oppo? (1 Viewer)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
My main BD player is an Oppo BD-83 - have had it for about 5 years and it has worked flawlessly - until now. The disc tray won't close 95% of the time unless I press the close button on the remote. Not a huge deal but, still, the tray should close if I press the button on the unit itself. Then there are the "Unknown Disc" messages I get many times after inserting a disc that should start playing right away. These are "cosmetic" issues as the player works fine otherwise but they're still annoying. Anyone else encounter these problems?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have had various disc players over the years get wonky. 5 year's is a bit soon, but hey.Have you tried a partial disassembly and blow it out with canned air?

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
I've have my 83SE for about the same time, w/o any issues.

Try calling Oppo customer service, even if it is out of warranty. They are pretty good and may have some tips if other customers have reported similar issues.

LCSeminole

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Laurence
My experience is Oppo is quite reasonable when sending in a unit for repair. Can't hurt to call their customer service and see what they can do for you. I still have a BDP-83 going strong and while it's not the fastest to load, it still plays blu-rays every bit as my BDP-93.

Dougofthenorth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
I just got an OPPO 103D about a month ago.

While researching it I found this & saved it (was for a BDP 83)

OPPO CLEANING

Make sure the FW is updated to most current

Open the player cover and clean inside and then blow out with air can
Then remove the top cover of the loader.To remove the top cover of the loader you will remove two pieces of electrostatic tape (one on each side)and two screws (one on each side). You will see four black clips (two on each side).Press in on one of the clips while pulling up on the top cover at the same location(ex. push in on the front left clip while pulling the front left cover).Once the clip is clear, repeat on the clip on the same side. Repeat for the other side.
Now clean the laser head with a cotton swab and alcohol.
Clean and lubricate the transport mechanism with a cotton swab and alcohol (a small dab of di-electric grease will do)
Reverse the steps to put the player back together and try the discs again.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I got the Unknown Disc message on my 83 a few times. A firmware up date put an end to that. I have newer Oppo players but the 83 lives on in my bedroom system and gets used several times a month.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I encountered the same issue with my 83SE as well as the button pad sometimes giving me "stop" instead of >>. They're local for me so I dropped it off and they took care of it free of charge and it may have been as simple as cleaning the tray mechanism for that issue. Got it back in perfect working order and sold it when I upgraded to the 105.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Just picked up an 83 second hand in mint condition, any help with settings etc would be most appreciated.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
tele1962 said:
Just picked up an 83 second hand in mint condition, any help with settings etc would be most appreciated.
This page might help you.

http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-83-faq.html

I keep all the advanced settings off or 0, have it set to output 1080p and my player has been running great for many years now.

Use your i1Pro 3 meter and run tests with some settings on and off, you got yourself a great player.

P.S. Long time no see, hope things are going well for you.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
tele1962 said:
Hey Mal, thanks for the tips mate. You got the 83?

Doing fine, how are you? :)
I'm doing okay except for this blasted heatwave, oh wait it's summer isn't it supposed to rain, humid evenings kill me.

You still buying blu rays like they went out of fashion. :lol:

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
FoxyMulder said:
I'm doing okay except for this blasted heatwave, oh wait it's summer isn't it supposed to rain, humid evenings kill me.

You still buying blu rays like they went out of fashion. :lol:
Had to cut back mate LOL.

One question about the 83 Mal, do I use source direct or the players processing for Blu Ray with my Panny ST?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
tele1962 said:
Had to cut back mate LOL.

One question about the 83 Mal, do I use source direct or the players processing for Blu Ray with my Panny ST?
You like to play dvd's too so i would avoid source direct.

Just re-read your post again, for blu ray playback you can use source direct, it will give you playback without any processing whatsoever, if the disc is 1080i i'd switch it off, as long as you don't want to use any of the internal processing it's fine.

Basically i always switch source direct on if i have a USB plugged in and want to view some photographs via the projector, otherwise i just choose 1080p for blu ray playback, it's fine to choose source direct as well.

For deinterlacing there are various settings including film bias, i have mine set to Auto, i also have Colourspace set to Auto, i have experimented with Deep Colour set to 36 bit resolution and haven't noticed any difference having it on or off so if the television works with it set to 36 bit i'd just leave it switched on or off, blu ray's are not encoded with deep colour anyways.

I would switch resume play option on and just leave the picture adjustments alone and set to 0.

I also set audio to Bitstream and turn off secondary audio, if you want to listen to PIP audio commentary it's easy enough to turn that on again, i like to see on the receiver the audio format name and that's why i choose bitstream.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
tele1962 said:
:lol:

Is yours region free Mal?
Yes, it's a shame the chipset couldn't be upgraded via firmware to 3D.

You switch the player into standby using the remote and then press 1 for Region A and 2 for Region B, i think it's Region C too but i don't have any discs from that region to test, the region free mods are floating around and very easy to install, Oppo deliberately made it easy, you just open the player up and at there is a place where you insert the pins into the mod, firmware updates do not affect the region free mod i have, there hasn't been a firmware update for two years, hopefully it won't need one.

:EDIT: Correction, i think i have to press the blue button first, it beeps and then the 1 or 2 key and it beeps confirmation, the only reason i don't remember is it's been a while, most discs don't need to be switched and i tend to leave on Region A.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
tele1962 said:
I wonder if it needed it would OPPO still release FW for the 83?
I would hope so, i wonder if there are any discs out there that need upgraded firmware for them to play, who knows.

Maybe we should email them and ask that question.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
FoxyMulder said:
I would hope so, i wonder if there are any discs out there that need upgraded firmware for them to play, who knows.

Maybe we should email them and ask that question.
Have you got their email address?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks