-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

If You Could Own Anything You Wanted On DVD..

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#21 of 130 LouA

LouA

Second Unit

• 440 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted February 13 2014 - 12:15 PM

Most of my holy grails are things I'll probably never see released in my life, although they were quite wonderful and popular in their time.   I still hope and pray for (sorry there are more than five):

ADVENTURES IN PARADISE 

BACHELOR FATHER 

77 SUNSET STRIP 

PEOPLE'S CHOICE

SURFSIDE 6

HAWAIIAN EYE

THE THIRD MAN (Complete)

RUN FOR YOUR LIFE

IT'S ABOUT TIME (Okay, guilty pleasure here)

MR. ADAM AND EVE (If film masters do ever turn up)

Still, I never dreamed I'd have all of DOBIE GILLIS or SEA HUNT, so I won't give up the ghost for any on my list yet.

All of these ( ESPECIALLY People's Choice)   plus:

MY LITTTLE MARGIE

THE AMERICANS (1961)

THE GRAY GHOST,

CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT

AMERICAN BANDSTAND (50' EARLY 60'S)

DECEMBER BRIDE

HEY LANDLORD

TRACKDOWN

FERNWOOD/AMERICA 2NITE

LINEUP

1950's DRAGNET

THE CHARLIE FARRELL SHOW

SHINDIG

LIFE OF RILEY(Bendix)

ANDY'S GANG

LOVE THAT BOB

Complete SGT BILKO

FATHER OF THE BRIDE

ANGEL

HAPPY

HOLIDAY LODGE

I MARRIED JOAN

etc!!!

• phillyrobt likes this

#22 of 130 smithbrad

smithbrad

Second Unit

• 498 posts

Posted February 13 2014 - 02:24 PM

Even though I go back to the late 60's for TV watching, I don't have as extensive knowledge as many here on what was showing in the 50's and 60's, so my list is very short. I'm just including the two shows that caught my attention and that I've been able to sample but could never find any decent copies of.

- The Third Man (apparently unlikely to be released)

- The Rebel (Timeless is working on it so hopefully before the year is out there will be a release)

• Gary OS likes this

#23 of 130 ljgranberry

ljgranberry

Stunt Coordinator

• 170 posts

Posted February 13 2014 - 02:53 PM

Complete Your Show of Shows and Caesar's Hour (including lost episodes)

1950's Dragnet remastered

The Defenders remastered

Route 66 remastered complete and uncut to night-of-original-broadcast shape

Naked City remastered

• Walsh61 likes this

#24 of 130 davidHartzog

davidHartzog

Second Unit

• 445 posts
  • Locationupstate NY

Posted February 13 2014 - 03:18 PM

Richard Crenna's Janek t.v. movies from the 80s
77 Sunset Strip
The Lonely Profession, Harry Guardino t.v. movie
Cop Rock
Hawaiian Eye and Surfside Six
Run For Your Life
Darker Than Amber, Gunn, P.J. 60s p.i. flicks (actually I have these but they are copied off cable.)
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

#25 of 130 Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted February 13 2014 - 03:32 PM

I'd have to say all uncut episodes of The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour including the 6 episodes from the summer of 1971 that launched the series. Right now I'm only missing 5 episodes from this series.  

All uncut episodes from the Cher show. I have several episodes but they are the VH1 30 minute versions so they are severely cut.  

All uncut episodes from The Sonny and Cher Show (the post divorce series). I have all but 19 epsodes from this series.

All uncut episodes from The Sonny Comedy Review just to be a completeist. I've never seen any of this show, but I'd like to just to see if it was as bad as everyone says.

Lastly, all 11 uncut seasons of The Carol Brunett Show

• Suzanne.S and phillyrobt like this

#26 of 130 Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 620 posts

Posted February 13 2014 - 05:07 PM

Ill also throw in Puttin On The Hitz (a music clearance nightmare)

By the way, instead of Slattery's People, I think a great concept for a show would be one called Richard X. Slattery's People. LOL.

#27 of 130 upperco

upperco

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted February 13 2014 - 08:07 PM

MARY KAY AND JOHNNY (1947-1950) 

YOUR SHOW OF SHOWS (1950-1954) & CAESAR'S HOUR (1954-1957)

THE JACK BENNY SHOW (1950-1965)

THE GEORGE BURNS & GRACIE ALLEN SHOW (1950-1958)

I MARRIED JOAN (1952-1955)

OUR MISS BROOKS (1952-1956)

THE BOB CUMMINGS SHOW (1955-1959)

ANGEL (1960-1961)

LOVE ON A ROOFTOP (1966-1967)

HE & SHE (1967-1968)

THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW (1967-1978)

THE NEW DICK VAN DYKE SHOW (1971-1974)

THE CORNER BAR (1972-1973)

FAY (1975-1976)

MARY (1985-1986)

LIFE WITH LUCY (1986) 

Also, very interested in early local television sitcoms .... like OH, MISS TUBBS! (1945), which starred Verna Felton. 

• phillyrobt likes this

#28 of 130 oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff

Second Unit

• 359 posts

Posted February 13 2014 - 08:34 PM

I'd go for some vintage shows with relatively short runs of a season or two in DVD sets like the following.
CRUSADER (CBS 1955-56, cancelled a third of the way thru 56-57)
BRINGING UP BUDDY (CBS 1960-61)
ICHABOD AND ME (CBS 1961-62)
TWO FACES WEST (Syndicated 1960-61)
TALLAHASSEE-7000 (Syndicated 1960-61)
CASEY JONES (Syndicated 1957-58)
And many, many, more!
  • LouA likes this

#29 of 130 Dave Lawrence

Dave Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator

• 102 posts

Posted February 13 2014 - 08:35 PM

What would be your top 5 fantasy picks?

Just a fun little game. Rules are simple. No rules. Pure fantasy. Take your most ridiculously unavailable wants and create a fantasy DVD shopping spree. 

Okay, if we're talking fantasy/no rules/anything goes picks, then that means going beyond my "grail" list hopes which we've talked about in another recent thread. So here are the top 5 fantasy selections I'd make:

1) Every Johnny Carson-hosted episode of The Tonight Show from 1962 to 1992. - I wasn't born yet when the show left New York. With so much of that era lost forever beyond a relative handful of shows and clips, I would love to be able to see all of that period, and then continue on into the more familiar-to-me California era, since I started watching the show as a kid in the 80s. (There was also the syndicated Carson's Comedy Classics show back then which introduced me to a lot of 70s bits.)

2) Every Password episode - This is my favorite game show and I would love to have the entirety of all its various incarnations, from the 60s CBS daytime & nighttime versions, to the ABC years in the 70s, NBC's Password Plus and Super Password, and even the more recent Million Dollar Password.

3) The complete run of What's My Line - the 1950-1967 CBS version as well as the 1968-1975 syndicated version. It's my favorite of the Goodson-Todman panel game shows. Some of the episodes from early in the CBS run are considered lost, and by the time I originally got Game Show Network they were nearly done with showing the syndicated version as part of their regular lineup, so there is so much I still haven't gotten to see.

4) WKRP - Even with last year's China Beach and now the upcoming Wonder Years releases, I still think it's a certainty that a complete collection of the 4 seasons of the original WKRP and the 2 seasons of the 90s revival - with everything intact - will never happen. So to me it would be a must on this fantasy "go big or go home" list.

5) Edge of Night - This was a crime drama/soap opera hybrid (similar to how Dark Shadows was a gothic horror/soap hybrid) that ran for years on CBS and then ABC. Henry Slesar, who wrote some episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, was head writer for much of Edge's run. As a kid, I'd only heard of this series and seen promos because my local ABC affiliate chose to show it's own programming each day after General Hospital rather than Edge. The local programming usually consisted of "The Million Dollar Movie" - showing chopped up old movies filled with commercials within a 2-hour slot except on those days when they were required to show the ABC Afterschool Specials. But awhile back, P&G and AOL released about a year's worth of episodes online. I think they would have eventually added more, but like the P&G DVD compilation releases of their other soaps, they just stopped putting more out at some point. But watching what was available was fun, and I'd love to see the full run.

And as I read over this thread and write my own list, I realize the catch to these fantasy lists isn't just the impossibility of these things coming true, it's that even if they did, we'd never have enough time to watch it all. (But it would definitely be fun to have the opportunity to try...)

• Peter M Fitzgerald and Charles Ellis like this

#30 of 130 moviebuff75

moviebuff75

Second Unit

• 462 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, Indiana

Posted February 13 2014 - 08:54 PM

Laugh-In

Barbara Mandrell and the Mandrell Sisters

All of the Walt Disney television series

All of the Brady Bunch spin-offs

All of The Flintstones spin-offs

All of the Hanna-Barbera series

All of the Peanuts documentary specials

• mannix likes this

Proud HTF Member Since: April, 2001

#31 of 130 MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor

• 573 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted February 13 2014 - 09:12 PM

Another World and Santa Barbara.

40% Ben Katz + 30% Bobby Hill (Texas) + 20% Monica Geller + 10% William Dent. (Wardrobe by George Costanza)

#32 of 130 JamesSmith

JamesSmith

Supporting Actor

• 808 posts

Posted February 14 2014 - 02:26 AM

(1) NBC Saturday morning Preview Ads from 1973-75.
(2) NBC 1980-85 Family Christmas Specials--hosted by NBC stars
(3) 1970-1985 Saturday AM Fall Preview Specials
(4) David Copperfield 1975-1985 CBS Specials and Solid Gold appearances.
Domestic Life Martin Mull 1984 series

James

#33 of 130 Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted February 14 2014 - 06:44 AM

5) Edge of Night - This was a crime drama/soap opera hybrid (similar to how Dark Shadows was a gothic horror/soap hybrid) that ran for years on CBS and then ABC. Henry Slesar, who wrote some episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, was head writer for much of Edge's run. As a kid, I'd only heard of this series and seen promos because my local ABC affiliate chose to show it's own programming each day after General Hospital rather than Edge. The local programming usually consisted of "The Million Dollar Movie" - showing chopped up old movies filled with commercials within a 2-hour slot except on those days when they were required to show the ABC Afterschool Specials. But awhile back, P&G and AOL released about a year's worth of episodes online. I think they would have eventually added more, but like the P&G DVD compilation releases of their other soaps, they just stopped putting more out at some point. But watching what was available was fun, and I'd love to see the full run.

This would be a fun series to see all of, unfortunately, until 1975 the show was done live so there are few (about 40) actual filmed episodes left from that era. P&G continued to wipe the tapes until about 1978, so from what I've been able to find out, only from about 1979 to the end of the series (1984) survives. But I would like to see it all. I do remember seeing a few episodes in the early 70s (around 1971 or so).

#34 of 130 Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,549 posts

Posted February 14 2014 - 07:09 AM

POPULAR

I'm breaking a self-imposed rule by doing this, but here are my ultimate wish-list items.  All of these would have to be complete, and with zero music substitutions.  In no particular order my five are:

1) Ozzie & Harriet full run (still not convinced we'll ever get the full, uncut run - per reports from Sam Nelson and others)

2) Harlem Globetrotters - original H/B cartoon (not the Super Globetrotters)

3) Doctor Who - the entire Patrick Troughton run from the 60's (now that is a pipe dream)

4) Disney Anthologies - everything from Disneyland to The Wonderful World of Disney

5) Boston Blackie

Gary "hard to limit it to just five, and my list would probably change a little if you asked me again tomorrow" O.

• Professor Echo, phillyrobt and Ron1973 like this
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#35 of 130 Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,617 posts

Posted February 14 2014 - 07:34 AM

And as I read over this thread and write my own list, I realize the catch to these fantasy lists isn't just the impossibility of these things coming true, it's that even if they did, we'd never have enough time to watch it all. (But it would definitely be fun to have the opportunity to try...)

+1.  As Dave pointed out, finding the time can be a chore in and of itself.

A few that come to mind include::

Laugh-In

The Flip Wilson Show

The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour

Dean Martin Variety Show

These would be complete sets, not edited, or "best of" sets.  

Variety shows tend to have more re-watch potential for me because as the name implies, they have more variety. :)

- Walter.

• phillyrobt likes this
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#36 of 130 David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,547 posts

Posted February 14 2014 - 07:36 AM

I'm breaking a self-imposed rule by doing this, but here are my ultimate wish-list items. All of these would have to be complete, and with zero music substitutions. In no particular order my five are:

3) Doctor Who - the entire Patrick Troughton run from the 60's (now that is a pipe dream)

Gary "hard to limit it to just five, and my list would probably change a little if you asked me again tomorrow" O.

A BIG plus one on the Troughton's (although last year was a very good year on that front).
  • Gary OS likes this

#37 of 130 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,356 posts

Posted February 14 2014 - 10:08 AM

All lost UK programming--including Dr. who, the Avengers, Benny Hill...
  • Peter M Fitzgerald and phillyrobt like this

#38 of 130 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,881 posts

Posted February 14 2014 - 10:22 AM

POPULAR

How about all that DuMont programming that got dumped into the ocean?

• Peter M Fitzgerald, phillyrobt and Ron1973 like this
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#39 of 130 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted February 14 2014 - 11:37 AM

"The Frank Sinatra Show", uncut, all the music, etc. And both of those, 50-52 and 57-58.

#40 of 130 Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted February 14 2014 - 12:22 PM

Peyton Place a complete series released and restored the way Voyage was restored.

Peyton Place Revisited and the daytime soap Return to Peyton Place

Murder in Peyton Place

Peyton Place the Next Generation

Edge of Night I grew up with and watched the very last episode. The show was rerun on the USA network like Peyton Place.

The show is out there to be had from the USA broadcast but because of forum rules I cannot say where. I do not have it.

I want the Edge of Night 90 minute special that aired on ABC late night when it switched from CBS to ABC. I would also like those early and mid 70s part of the show. I was a huge fan and the show was the Perry Mason of daytime.

Here is the history and a fan tribute

http://www.emmytvleg...ge-of-night-the

There was even a paper back novel written of the series.

Here is another tribute and a fan restored the opening I grew up with as a kid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users