What would be your top 5 fantasy picks?
Just a fun little game. Rules are simple. No rules. Pure fantasy. Take your most ridiculously unavailable wants and create a fantasy DVD shopping spree.
Okay, if we're talking fantasy/no rules/anything goes picks, then that means going beyond my "grail" list hopes which we've talked about in another recent thread. So here are the top 5 fantasy selections I'd make:
1) Every Johnny Carson-hosted episode of The Tonight Show from 1962 to 1992. - I wasn't born yet when the show left New York. With so much of that era lost forever beyond a relative handful of shows and clips, I would love to be able to see all of that period, and then continue on into the more familiar-to-me California era, since I started watching the show as a kid in the 80s. (There was also the syndicated Carson's Comedy Classics show back then which introduced me to a lot of 70s bits.)
2) Every Password episode - This is my favorite game show and I would love to have the entirety of all its various incarnations, from the 60s CBS daytime & nighttime versions, to the ABC years in the 70s, NBC's Password Plus and Super Password, and even the more recent Million Dollar Password.
3) The complete run of What's My Line - the 1950-1967 CBS version as well as the 1968-1975 syndicated version. It's my favorite of the Goodson-Todman panel game shows. Some of the episodes from early in the CBS run are considered lost, and by the time I originally got Game Show Network they were nearly done with showing the syndicated version as part of their regular lineup, so there is so much I still haven't gotten to see.
4) WKRP - Even with last year's China Beach and now the upcoming Wonder Years releases, I still think it's a certainty that a complete collection of the 4 seasons of the original WKRP and the 2 seasons of the 90s revival - with everything intact - will never happen. So to me it would be a must on this fantasy "go big or go home" list.
5) Edge of Night - This was a crime drama/soap opera hybrid (similar to how Dark Shadows was a gothic horror/soap hybrid) that ran for years on CBS and then ABC. Henry Slesar, who wrote some episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, was head writer for much of Edge's run. As a kid, I'd only heard of this series and seen promos because my local ABC affiliate chose to show it's own programming each day after General Hospital rather than Edge. The local programming usually consisted of "The Million Dollar Movie" - showing chopped up old movies filled with commercials within a 2-hour slot except on those days when they were required to show the ABC Afterschool Specials. But awhile back, P&G and AOL released about a year's worth of episodes online. I think they would have eventually added more, but like the P&G DVD compilation releases of their other soaps, they just stopped putting more out at some point. But watching what was available was fun, and I'd love to see the full run.
And as I read over this thread and write my own list, I realize the catch to these fantasy lists isn't just the impossibility of these things coming true, it's that even if they did, we'd never have enough time to watch it all. (But it would definitely be fun to have the opportunity to try...)