Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Need Some Advice on Ebay/fraud

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 of 47 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,574 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 08 2014 - 10:41 AM

Exactly what explanation is eBay giving you about why the tracking info doesn't matter?

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#42 of 47 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,165 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 08 2014 - 10:49 AM

Exactly what explanation is eBay giving you about why the tracking info doesn't matter?

+1.  I cannot possibly see how they ignore that.

it's the word of an individual against an arm of the federal government.  We usually know how that works out...

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#43 of 47 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,574 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 09 2014 - 10:39 AM

Hell, not only that, it's the employer of RON FREAKING EPSTEIN!!! How much more authoritative could it be?

• FoxyMulder likes this
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#44 of 47 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,662 posts

Posted July 09 2014 - 11:38 AM

The tracking info only "proves" that the package was delivered.

It doesn't give any evidence about what it contained - the real merchandize or old newspapers and potato-peels.

( :)  I really read a case where a "box" of garbage was delivered instead of the real stuff!  Sorry, I'm of course not implying anything like that in this case, just commenting on the practical value of a tracking record.)

Cees

#45 of 47 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,268 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 09 2014 - 02:27 PM

With that said.  After a few months I signed up for a new account and started selling.  Just spent the last two hours on the phone with eBay because they took yet another $186 from my account saying that the buyer didn't receive the item.  ...

Obviously I just have bad luck at selling things

Michael, you're having unusually bad luck at eBay. What sorts of things are you selling? Is this domestic or international?

I've sold about a hundred items the past few years and I've got a positive rating of 70. So I'm a very small time, but seasoned seller. I sell things ranging from used DVDs to used TiVos. Last week I sold an Apple Cinema Display and my old Logitech Revolution MX mouse (wipes away a tear).

Fortunately, I've never had problems, save for the annoying bidder who won a Cinderella DVD auction right before Christmas, and then pay for it. I had to relist after the holidays, going from a $30 sale to a $10 sale. So, only minor quibbles. No thefts or fraud!

So, wow, you're having a terrible time of it!

#46 of 47 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,309 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 09 2014 - 02:47 PM

^ Broadly speaking, I think it's because eBay is now protecting buyers to the point where a buyer can say just about anything and eBay will refund the money. It doesn't matter how real or imagined an issue it is or if an item has been delivered or if it was insured, it's almost always going to be the seller's fault and he has to pay the money back. I'm all for protecting buyers from unscrupulous sellers (I buy way more than I sell) but given how easy it is for buyers to abuse eBay's money back guarantee, they need to keep their eyes on unscrupulous buyers too.

Long story short, eBay has made it so that if you're a lowlife, you can get free stuff by simply taking a minute to file a complaint with eBay.

#47 of 47 OFFLINE   Dougofthenorth

Dougofthenorth

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted July 13 2014 - 02:32 AM

^ Broadly speaking, I think it's because eBay is now protecting buyers to the point where a buyer can say just about anything and eBay will refund the money. It doesn't matter how real or imagined an issue it is or if an item has been delivered or if it was insured, it's almost always going to be the seller's fault and he has to pay the money back. I'm all for protecting buyers from unscrupulous sellers (I buy way more than I sell) but given how easy it is for buyers to abuse eBay's money back guarantee, they need to keep their eyes on unscrupulous buyers too.

Long story short, eBay has made it so that if you're a lowlife, you can get free stuff by simply taking a minute to file a complaint with eBay.

As they say - the pendulum keeps swinging one way then the other - between the two extremes

- I remember several years ago, one couldn't get money back from a "seller" no matter what...  

I for one stopped using it for several years & now still only cautiously & reluctantly.

It got so bad it impacted eBay's business, so I expect that's why it is now the other way around...

Sorry to hear of your bad experiences.

Regards,

Doug

Save turtles: http://www.turtleshelltortue.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users