What's new

Question: What is your favourite Daytime Soap Opera (past or present?) (1 Viewer)

JMas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Mason
Santa Barbara, especially the first year (1984) with Dane Witherspoon as Joe. I was hoping one of the channels showing soaps past and present would pick up the show as there are still a lot of fans worldwide who would love to see some of it again.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Used to come home for lunch in high school (lived a block away). Always enjoyed "Days of our Lives". Watched it decades later and it hadn't changed a bit. I could probably join in now and be caught up within a week.
More recently, really enjoyed "Brothers and Sisters", although not sure that qualifies.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well

Dark Shadows is a special case.

But for actual soaps.

I remember watching All My Children from the very beginning, but had stopped watching after a few years (when school prevented me from watching). I did tune in for some of the 'special' episodes, since they would often spotlight the early years.I enjoyed Ryan's Hope (also from the beginning - then a gap - but saw the final few weeks).

DisneySwan1990

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sagalina Hazzan
JMas said:
Santa Barbara, especially the first year (1984) with Dane Witherspoon as Joe. I was hoping one of the channels showing soaps past and present would pick up the show as there are still a lot of fans worldwide who would love to see some of it again.
SOAPnet used to air the show a long long time ago, but that channel went defunct on New Year's Eve 2013, and now your only option is to watch it again online.

JMas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Mason
Are you sure SoapNet aired Santa Barbara? I didn't think anybody in the U.S. or Canada reran it. I know it has been shown in Europe with subtitles.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Back in college, watched more than a bit of "The Young and Restless" followed by "The Bold and the Beautiful". What's crazy is that most the core cast is still on Y&R. Haha.

DisneySwan1990

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sagalina Hazzan
JMas said:
Are you sure SoapNet aired Santa Barbara? I didn't think anybody in the U.S. or Canada reran it. I know it has been shown in Europe with subtitles.
Yes they did in the early 2000's.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
If only counting daytime, the only soap i find/found myself liking enough to watch is Days.

Counting others, then i was also a sucker for re-runs of Dallas.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Patrick Sun said:
Back in college, watched more than a bit of "The Young and Restless" followed by "The Bold and the Beautiful". What's crazy is that most the core cast is still on Y&R. Haha.
Wouldn't that make it 'The Old and the Restless Leg Syndrome' now? :)

Watched during the mid-eighties: Days (with a pre-Q John de Lancie in a comedic role) and Y&R.

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
In college in the early 70's, my roommates and I used to watch Days of our Lives religiously. We scheduled classes around that show.

I used to watch the prime-time version of As the World Turns when it ran in the mid-60's too. I think it was called Our Private World.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I watched The Edge Of Night and Secret Storm for a short time. But I really got into Dark Shadows and Peyton Place (albeit the latter was during the evening) more than any of the others.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I first started watching Another World and Days of Our Lives because my mom watched them both. Picked up on Y&R in college as several friends watched it at school. I watched AW and DOOL off and on over the years, but kept with Y&R for almost 25 years...until too many changes (mostly after Bill Bell left the show...did he pass away?) happened and they went from the very slow, deliberate and masterful storytelling to the current "back from the dead"/"let's hook up every character with every other character that's not a blood relation" garbage. Haven't watched it in almost two years, but I DID tune in for the Katherine Chancellor funeral and memorial episode.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
When I was a kid I watched what my mom watched, the ABC shows: Dark Shadows, One Life to Live and General Hospital. Then All My Children and Ryan's Hope for a while once they came along. But I lost interest in soaps when they switched from the edgier early to mid-70's stuff (Judith Light's Karen Wolek on the witness stand, etc.) to the absurd teen-pop crap that GH devolved into with Luke & Laura, etc. I realize that was when they reached their zenith in popularity, but I couldn't believe how stupid the plots became: freezing the world in August with a weather-ray (GH), underground cities (OLTL), giant gorillas carrying off characters (RH), demonic possession (DOOL). Ugh!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I started watching the ABC soaps in the very late 70's until all that was left is GH. Still watch GH. Record it every day and catch up when I get a chance. All four remaining daytime shows have been renewed for at least another year..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks