Photo
- - - - -

Question: What is your favourite Daytime Soap Opera (past or present?)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 DisneySwan1990

DisneySwan1990

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted February 12 2014 - 09:16 AM

Mines are Another World (1996-99), Sunset Beach, and Y&R.

What was yours?

#2 of 17 JMas

JMas

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted February 12 2014 - 01:35 PM

Santa Barbara, especially the first year (1984) with Dane Witherspoon as Joe.  I was hoping one of the channels showing soaps past and present would pick up the show as there are still a lot of fans worldwide who would love to see some of it again.

#3 of 17 Stan

Stan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts

Posted February 12 2014 - 01:50 PM

Used to come home for lunch in high school (lived a block away). Always enjoyed "Days of our Lives". Watched it decades later and it hadn't changed a bit. I could probably join in now and be caught up within a week.

More recently, really enjoyed "Brothers and Sisters", although not sure that qualifies.

Stan

#4 of 17 David Weicker

David Weicker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts

Posted February 12 2014 - 01:54 PM

Well

Dark Shadows is a special case.

But for actual soaps.

I remember watching All My Children from the very beginning, but had stopped watching after a few years (when school prevented me from watching).  I did tune in for some of the 'special' episodes, since they would often spotlight the early years.

I enjoyed Ryan's Hope (also from the beginning - then a gap - but saw the final few weeks).

#5 of 17 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• PipPipPip
  • 8,546 posts

Posted February 12 2014 - 05:11 PM

Dark Shadows.

ockeghem2.jpg

#6 of 17 DisneySwan1990

DisneySwan1990

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted February 13 2014 - 11:58 AM

Santa Barbara, especially the first year (1984) with Dane Witherspoon as Joe. I was hoping one of the channels showing soaps past and present would pick up the show as there are still a lot of fans worldwide who would love to see some of it again.

SOAPnet used to air the show a long long time ago, but that channel went defunct on New Year's Eve 2013, and now your only option is to watch it again online.

#7 of 17 JMas

JMas

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted February 13 2014 - 01:54 PM

Are you sure SoapNet aired Santa Barbara?  I didn't think anybody in the U.S. or Canada reran it.  I know it has been shown in Europe with subtitles.

#8 of 17 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Advanced Member

• 37,399 posts

Posted February 13 2014 - 07:36 PM

Back in college, watched more than a bit of "The Young and Restless" followed by "The Bold and the Beautiful".  What's crazy is that most the core cast is still on Y&R.  Haha.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#9 of 17 MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted February 13 2014 - 09:09 PM

Another World and Santa Barbara.
40% Ben Katz + 30% Bobby Hill (Texas) + 20% Monica Geller + 10% William Dent. (Wardrobe by George Costanza)

#10 of 17 DisneySwan1990

DisneySwan1990

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted February 13 2014 - 10:51 PM

Are you sure SoapNet aired Santa Barbara? I didn't think anybody in the U.S. or Canada reran it. I know it has been shown in Europe with subtitles.

Yes they did in the early 2000's.

#11 of 17 MattPriceTime

MattPriceTime

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn Park, MD

Posted February 14 2014 - 12:13 AM

If only counting daytime, the only soap i find/found myself liking enough to watch is Days.

Counting others, then i was also a sucker for re-runs of Dallas.

Blanket Quote for myself for all my postings from Feb 2014 and on

"i'm not shy to mention that i seem to be a major outlier on this forum. But i'm still highly boggled by some things posted here. But hey i can only be so critical but some things do bother me a bit, but to each their own. Even if it's odd conspiracies, not wanting to use terms correctly or just throwing hasty generalizations."

If the horse doesn't want to drink, i'm not going to lead them to water

#12 of 17 KevinGress

KevinGress

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted February 14 2014 - 09:45 AM

Back in college, watched more than a bit of "The Young and Restless" followed by "The Bold and the Beautiful".  What's crazy is that most the core cast is still on Y&R.  Haha.

Wouldn't that make it 'The Old and the Restless Leg Syndrome' now?  :)

Watched during the mid-eighties:  Days (with a pre-Q John de Lancie in a comedic role) and Y&R.

#13 of 17 Steve Armbrust

Steve Armbrust

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted February 17 2014 - 03:34 PM

In college in the early 70's, my roommates and I used to watch Days of our Lives religiously.  We scheduled classes around that show.

I used to watch the prime-time version of As the World Turns when it ran in the mid-60's too.  I think it was called Our Private World.

Living in the Baseball Wasteland.

#14 of 17 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• PipPipPip
  • 8,546 posts

Posted February 17 2014 - 04:15 PM

I watched The Edge Of Night and Secret Storm for a short time.  But I really got into Dark Shadows and Peyton Place (albeit the latter was during the evening) more than any of the others.

ockeghem2.jpg

#15 of 17 EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,412 posts

Posted February 17 2014 - 05:19 PM

I first started watching Another World and Days of Our Lives because my mom watched them both.  Picked up on Y&R in college as several friends watched it at school.  I watched AW and DOOL off and on over the years, but kept with Y&R for almost 25 years...until too many changes (mostly after Bill Bell left the show...did he pass away?) happened and they went from the very slow, deliberate and masterful storytelling to the current "back from the dead"/"let's hook up every character with every other character that's not a blood relation" garbage.  Haven't watched it in almost two years, but I DID tune in for the Katherine Chancellor funeral and memorial episode.

#16 of 17 JohnMor

JohnMor

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted February 17 2014 - 09:20 PM

When I was a kid I watched what my mom watched, the ABC shows: Dark Shadows, One Life to Live and General Hospital.  Then All My Children and Ryan's Hope for a while once they came along.  But I lost interest in soaps when they switched from the edgier early to mid-70's stuff (Judith Light's Karen Wolek on the witness stand, etc.) to the absurd teen-pop crap that GH devolved into with Luke & Laura, etc.  I realize that was when they reached their zenith in popularity, but I couldn't believe how stupid the plots became: freezing the world in August with a weather-ray (GH), underground cities (OLTL), giant gorillas carrying off characters (RH), demonic possession (DOOL).  Ugh!

#17 of 17 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,846 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted February 22 2014 - 05:57 PM

I started watching the ABC soaps in the very late 70's until all that was left is GH.

Still watch GH. Record it every day and catch up when I get a chance.

All four remaining daytime shows have been renewed for at least another year..

facebook.com/whotony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users