What's new

3D Dracula (1 Viewer)

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Did anyone see Argento's Dracula blu ray....how is the 3D transfer...much ghosting (no pun intended?)...etc...?understand the movie was "ok".....so I would mainly be purchasing it for the 3D.
Thanks for the input.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I've only watched it once, but I thought the 3D was very well done. No ghosting, plenty of depth, and a few pop out moments.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
bob kaplan said:
Did anyone see Argento's Dracula blu ray....how is the 3D transfer...much ghosting (no pun intended?)...etc...?understand the movie was "ok".....so I would mainly be purchasing it for the 3D.
Thanks for the input.
Ghosting ( crosstalk ) depends on your television or projector, how it's set up and even the glasses combination you are using.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Thanks Foxy... to divert my own thread.....i have seen that printed many times.....and sometimes wonder why....for the most part the 3D movies i watch have little to no ghosting (WIZARD OF OZ 3D {GARLAND} and HOUSE OF WAX and I ROBOT.....and why a few others such as DIAL M FOR MURDER and POLAR EXPRESS...have definite visible ghosting....all with the same settings.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
bob kaplan said:
Thanks Foxy... to divert my own thread.....i have seen that printed many times.....and sometimes wonder why....for the most part the 3D movies i watch have little to no ghosting (WIZARD OF OZ 3D {GARLAND} and HOUSE OF WAX and I ROBOT.....and why a few others such as DIAL M FOR MURDER and POLAR EXPRESS...have definite visible ghosting....all with the same settings.
Its the pixel refresh rate, with DLP it's extremely fast, plasma is slower but faster than LCD, this is why very few people report crosstalk on DLP projectors, another possible cause is that some glasses may be damaged or the timing system may be very slightly off and not block the image to one eye fast enough, for myself i have a Samsung plasma from 2012 with Panasonic glasses from the same year, it performs very well, i see some minor ghosting on some of the backgrounds with House Of Wax and a tiny amount on some scenes with The Polar Express but it's small.

As for why some films have crosstalk on our ( non DLP ) displays and some don't have much at all, i think some use more extreme ( and pleasing ) parallax for greater depth or pop out than others and some play it safer with their use of 3D.

A good article on 3D conversion below, i keep coming back to this as it's a good read.

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/art-of-stereo-conversion-2d-to-3d-2012/

Jbug

Agent
Real Name
June
I saw the movie just the other day. It was a good enough movie to me except to me the addition of a certain insect scene. My wife liked it also. Nice, bright, sharp and colorful picture. I got it from Netflix but wasn't able to view it in 3D due to me not having a 3D TV as I'm waiting to purchase another one when certain 2014 TVs are released, reviewed and priced right. I've been without a main set for a few months now and it's killing me (lol).

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
IMO, Argento's Dracula 3-D would be described as a strong native-3D feature. As mentioned above, ghosting would greatly depend on consumer components. There was no ghosting or crosstalk when I viewed it as Discrete 3D.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Let me first preface my remarks here by saying that I admire the works of Dario Argento... when he's at the top of his game. Suspira, Deep Red and heck even Opera, to cite a few.

Now I have also seen a number of very crappy Argento films, so know the "range" of quality he's capable of. Let me just say that Dracula is at the bottom of the fricken heap. It exhibited such an unexpected level of amateurism, laziness and bad writing that it barely even registered as a real movie to me. Most scenes had all the dramatic tension of an Italian restaurant. They simply bring you what you want when you order it. I'll have the ravioli. Thanks, can I get some grated cheese on that? And oh... here I am being attacked unexpectedly by an evil henchman. Well, let's quickly kill him in one blow and continue on to dessert.

This isn't a film review, so let me stay on topic by addressing the 3-D. The cinematography and visual effects were, for the most part, atrocious. I've seen better VFX by Star Trek fans. The 3-D element only compounded the offense. I almost laughed at the 3-D steam coming off a nearby train, and at all the 3-D insects flitting about in random scenes. Often I found myself sitting there opening and closing one eye because half the time there was a bright light being cast on someone's clothing but it gleamed in only one eye, like I had a cataract forming or something. What the hell is that? I don't see other 3-D movies looking like this on my setup.

About the only good thing about the 3-D in this movie was the boobs. The boobs were very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks