Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"A Hard Day's Night" 50th Anniversary restoration Criterion blu-ray confirmed...

Criterion

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#141 of 144 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,630 posts

Posted August 19 2014 - 11:18 AM

Tony, thanks for sharing the article, that was great.

One quote stood out to me, for reasons having little to do with the movie:
"“The movie was shot in a 1.66:1 frame, which would have been pretty common for a black-and-white film of that vintage,” Becker says."

Has no one ever given the Criterion president the mountains of documentation that prove that 1.66:1 wasn't a standard ratio anywhere by the time the movie was shot? I love 99% of the work Criterion does, but I just don't get how they can be so glib about repeating demonstrably false information over and over.

#142 of 144 OFFLINE   Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted August 19 2014 - 01:52 PM

Even so, I think the first scene sounds better with the audience screams. For some reason, it doesn't sound right without them.

Regardless, any version of the film, including Criterion's is better than the Miramax version. That one was the worst. Who told Martin Lewis it was a good idea to butcher the soundtrack, by adding fake echoes?

Here's  the funny thing: I was reading an Amazon review of the Miramax DVD, and someone called Martin Lewis a "Self-proclaimed Beatles expert and all-around media w***e".

I think that's a very fitting description of Martin Lewis.

• Tony Bensley likes this

#143 of 144 OFFLINE   Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley

Second Unit

• 415 posts
  • LocationNorth Bay, ON; Canada

Posted August 19 2014 - 09:28 PM

Even so, I think the first scene sounds better with the audience screams. For some reason, it doesn't sound right without them.

Regardless, any version of the film, including Criterion's is better than the Miramax version. That one was the worst. Who told Martin Lewis it was a good idea to butcher the soundtrack, by adding fake echoes?

Here's  the funny thing: I was reading an Amazon review of the Miramax DVD, and someone called Martin Lewis a "Self-proclaimed Beatles expert and all-around media w***e".

I think that's a very fitting description of Martin Lewis.

Hi Vahan!

While adding extra sounds that weren't previously included within a Film's original released soundtrack would normally bother me, it really doesn't in this case.  That Richard Lester himself had much input regarding the Audio Tracks, speaks volumes in my opinion.  Besides, if a Film isn't going to be issued in its original form, the Director's original vision should be, at the very least, the next best thing!

CHEERS!

Tony

#144 of 144 OFFLINE   Filmdoctor

Filmdoctor

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted August 20 2014 - 09:55 AM

You guys just don't get it. The picture is still not preserved. A 4K scan is not preservation. Nor is a color session a restoration.ask yourself, where does it live after it's finished? The negative needs an Estar Fine Grain. One day they are going to make a crystal ray or something that doesn't exist now. And they will find that the original neg is a hockey puck. All they will have is a dupe of the reel 1 and 10. If they are on Estar Based Stock. The 1964 Fine Grain is already exhibiting signs of Vinegar Syndrome. I can't imagine how they archived the audio.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Criterion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users