Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"A Hard Day's Night" 50th Anniversary restoration Criterion blu-ray confirmed...

Criterion

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#21 of 144 OFFLINE   atcolomb

atcolomb

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts
  • LocationChicago Area

Posted February 07 2014 - 06:42 PM

It's nice to see A Hard Day's Night, Help, Magical Mystery Tour, and Yellow Submarine out on blu-ray but no Let It Be?  I know there is lots of talk why it has not been release but i hope one day soon it will happen. The only good source to see the movie is on laserdisc and it sells a big amount on Ebay.

#22 of 144 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,257 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted February 07 2014 - 10:37 PM

It's nice to see A Hard Day's Night, Help, Magical Mystery Tour, and Yellow Submarine out on blu-ray but no Let It Be?  I know there is lots of talk why it has not been release but i hope one day soon it will happen. The only good source to see the movie is on laserdisc and it sells a big amount on Ebay.

Be patient regarding "Let It Be"...according to director Michael Lindsay-Hogg, the restoration and compilation work are already completed and awaiting final approval from the surviving Beatles and Yoko Ono and Olivia Harrison...it should happen this calendar year... :biggrin:

• Jack K likes this

#23 of 144 OFFLINE   moviepas

moviepas

Second Unit

• 440 posts

Posted February 07 2014 - 11:47 PM

Let it Be & A Hard Days Night were two films I saw in city theatres on first release. I was lucky to get family passes thru radio quizzes then. Enjoyed them both then and will now on Blu Ray. I believe Let it Be had a short run on DVD but I never saw it. 

Talking about soundtracks and master tapes etc(EMI used to have their archive tapes rewound every six months to retard print-thru. Not sure what happens to them these days), I received this week a Blu Ray Audio containing two 1950s LPs with Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong. There are extensive notes and the original LP cover notes for Verve Records(once taken over from Norman Granz by MGM Records, now owned by UMG) and audio playback options. Opens up many possibilities. 

#24 of 144 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,942 posts

Posted February 08 2014 - 04:34 AM

Let it Be & A Hard Days Night were two films I saw in city theatres on first release. I was lucky to get family passes thru radio quizzes then. Enjoyed them both then and will now on Blu Ray. I believe Let it Be had a short run on DVD but I never saw it. 

Let It Be has never been on DVD (or blu-ray). It was released on laser disc, VHS and CED in the 1980s.

Michael Lindsay-Hogg said about four years ago he expected the film to be released on DVD in 2013. That didn't happen. There's a Let It Be thread here on HTF with more info.

#25 of 144 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,036 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted February 08 2014 - 10:38 AM

Let it Be & A Hard Days Night were two films I saw in city theatres on first 
Talking about soundtracks and master tapes etc(EMI used to have their archive tapes rewound every six months to retard print-thru. Not sure what happens to them these days), I received this week a Blu Ray Audio containing two 1950s LPs with Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong. There are extensive notes and the original LP cover notes for Verve Records(once taken over from Norman Granz by MGM Records, now owned by UMG) and audio playback options. Opens up many possibilities.

If you want to see the possibilities of Bluray audio, then look no further than Neil Young's "Archives Volume One" discs, then imagine "The Beatles Anthology" updated to bluray in a similar fashion. It's sad that more artists aren't ripping off his idea, he's truly ahead of the curve on this bluray audio front.
  • davidmatychuk likes this

#26 of 144 OFFLINE   davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk

Supporting Actor

• 539 posts
  • LocationVancouver, B.C.

Posted February 08 2014 - 12:48 PM

Let It Be has never been on DVD (or blu-ray). It was released on laser disc, VHS and CED in the 1980s.

Michael Lindsay-Hogg said about four years ago he expected the film to be released on DVD in 2013. That didn't happen. There's a Let It Be thread here on HTF with more info.

In 1994, I saw with my own two Beatle-seeking eyes an MPI Video poster in the Tower Video store in Bellevue, Washington, that said "Let It Be" was coming soon, on VHS and Laserdisc. "Finally", I thought.

#27 of 144 OFFLINE   DP 70

DP 70

Second Unit

• 444 posts

Posted February 09 2014 - 01:54 AM

I hope the remix turns out better than The Concert for Bangladesh, the Original 4 track was great then the
remix on the DVD and CD sounds terrible to me.

#28 of 144 OFFLINE   Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,314 posts

Posted February 09 2014 - 03:27 AM

If you want to see the possibilities of Bluray audio, then look no further than Neil Young's "Archives Volume One" discs, then imagine "The Beatles Anthology" updated to bluray in a similar fashion. It's sad that more artists aren't ripping off his idea, he's truly ahead of the curve on this bluray audio front.

His bank balance is certainly ahead of the curve.

I love NY's music, but the price of the box on Blu-ray currently runs at over £300 in the UK.

Steve W

Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#29 of 144 OFFLINE   James_Garner

James_Garner

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted February 09 2014 - 12:57 PM

His bank balance is certainly ahead of the curve.

I love NY's music, but the price of the box on Blu-ray currently runs at over £300 in the UK.

Steve W

You  can buy each individual blu-ray of the archives set separately at Neil's site: http://neilyoung.war...-1/blu-ray.html

• Yorkshire likes this

#30 of 144 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,155 posts

Posted February 12 2014 - 03:36 AM

Normally, I'm the guy who deduces these things, but this time I need to ask a question.

How did Janus and Criterion get a hold of A HARD DAYS' NIGHT? This is not to complain; they'll do a fantastic job on it! I'm just surprised because it seemed that AppleCorps and what was left of EMI were doing their best to snap up all the Beatles films, and since the Walter Shenson estate controlled AHDN and HELP! for decades, and HELP! got picked up by Apple, my reasoning was that eventually they would get AHDN once Miramax's license expired. I can't think that Janus offered more money, because it would seem Apple (and, now, Universal Music) would throw down ridiculous sums to get this back.

Just curious. Otherwise, eagerly awaiting this new release of one of my desert island favorites!

"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#31 of 144 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted February 12 2014 - 02:13 PM

From what I can find, Walter Shenson Films passed to Bruce A. Karsh after Shenson's death. The original MPI DVDs of A Hard Day's Night and Help! list copyright under "1964 Walter Shenson Films" for AHDN; "Walter Shenson Films/Subafilms" for Help!. The later Apple/Capitol edition of Help! replaces Walter Shenson Films with "Bruce A. Karsh". Subafilms seems to be an alternate name for Apple Films (listed directly for Magical Mystery Tour and Let It Be). I've also seen photos from AHDN credited to Karsh in recent years. Wikipedia says he's a billionaire philantropist, so buying the rights to two Beatles films isn't exactly a bad investment.

#32 of 144 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted February 12 2014 - 09:35 PM

News of the restoration is great. Hopefully Criterion does a good job with this one. Apple's Blu-rays of Help! and The Magical Mystery Tour both look miserable. 

"Here's looking at you, kid."

#33 of 144 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Screenwriter

• 1,038 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted February 13 2014 - 06:13 PM

POPULAR

I'm hoping Dick Lester's 'Running Jumping and Standing Still' short is offered as an extra. Goons forever......

• Mark Edward Heuck, Stephen_J_H, DennisBassi and 1 other like this

#34 of 144 OFFLINE   Dee Zee

Dee Zee

Stunt Coordinator

• 174 posts
  • LocationFalls Church VA, USA

Posted February 13 2014 - 06:40 PM

News of the restoration is great. Hopefully Criterion does a good job with this one. Apple's Blu-rays of Help! and The Magical Mystery Tour both look miserable.

How so. They look good to me.

#35 of 144 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted February 13 2014 - 09:40 PM

How so. They look good to me.

Help! has a far too electronic look for my tastes, with a liberal use of digital tools that removed detail and grain and introduced edge halos and jaggies. The master was likely optimized for the DVD release a few years ago. Magical Mystery Tour is a smeary mess that lacks any detail or definition. The outtakes on the disc's extras, despite some dirt and specs, actually look pretty damn good in comparison. Additionally, the live action coda to Yellow Submarine is also a DNR'd mess. Apple Corp. doesn't seem to understand the way film is supposed to look. For that reason, I'm hoping they weren't heavily involved in A Hard Day's Night's restoration.

"Here's looking at you, kid."

#36 of 144 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,257 posts

Posted March 14 2014 - 02:49 PM

We apparently have a street date for the blu-ray/DVD...Criterion/Janus will release it on July 22nd, as it's being released in the UK on the 21st!!! :dance:

#37 of 144 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Screenwriter

• 1,038 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted March 14 2014 - 03:25 PM

I wonder if they'll be using the same transfer. If so, I guess extras will be the clincher....

#38 of 144 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,257 posts

Posted March 14 2014 - 04:00 PM

I wonder if they'll be using the same transfer. If so, I guess extras will be the clincher....

This is a COMPLETELY NEW restoration from o-negs using 4k technology...

#39 of 144 OFFLINE   Didier R

Didier R

Stunt Coordinator

• 169 posts

Posted March 14 2014 - 04:28 PM

We apparently have a street date for the blu-ray/DVD...Criterion/Janus will release it on July 22nd, as it's being released in the UK on the 21st!!! :dance:

Have you got a link to that info?

#40 of 144 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,257 posts

Posted March 14 2014 - 04:43 PM

http//www.nme.com/news/the-beatles/76087

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Criterion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users