Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"A Hard Day's Night" 50th Anniversary restoration Criterion blu-ray confirmed...

Criterion

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#1 of 144 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,310 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted February 06 2014 - 12:38 PM

TCM/Turner Classic Movies is world premiering the newly-minted 4k restoration sourced from original camera negatives as part of this year's film festival...the work was done by Janus Films, the parent company of the Criterion Collection...there's also a brand new true 5.1-channel music surround mix created from the original multi-track session reels and work parts at EMI Studios by Giles Martin, son of the Beatles' record producer Sir George... :drum:

#2 of 144 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,119 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted February 06 2014 - 12:53 PM

Nice seeing as I just bought the Canadian blu last year! I'll grab this one too, the films too good not to get it in it's best quality.

#3 of 144 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,673 posts

Posted February 06 2014 - 01:19 PM

Interesting release.  Wonder where TCM located the missing camera negative elements?

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#4 of 144 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,704 posts

Posted February 06 2014 - 01:26 PM

While it is great that a new restoration is being shown at the TCM festival, I don't see how this 'confirms' that a Criterion Blu-Ray is coming.

Yes, some of the evidence points that way, but it is not 'confirmation'.

#5 of 144 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,547 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted February 06 2014 - 01:29 PM

Janus implies Criterion.  And this was a Criterion laserdisc back in the day.

#6 of 144 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?

• 1,366 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted February 06 2014 - 01:46 PM

Been waiting for this for awhile. Stayed away from the poor Alliance version.

#7 of 144 OFFLINE   Rob Mac

Rob Mac

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada.

Posted February 06 2014 - 02:35 PM

I can understand messing with the audio so as not to impact sales of Hard Days Night CD's and LP's. Why does anyone need to buy the soundtrack when it is in beautiful digital glory on the blu-ray. I hope this time they don't "process" the music audio and ruin the HDN film experience once again.

Rob Mac

#8 of 144 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,310 posts

Posted February 06 2014 - 09:19 PM

I can understand messing with the audio so as not to impact sales of Hard Days Night CD's and LP's. Why does anyone need to buy the soundtrack when it is in beautiful digital glory on the blu-ray. I hope this time they don't "process" the music audio and ruin the HDN film experience once again.

It IS being "messed with"...in a GOOD way...read my original post for the full details, but they are using original multi-track stems to create a 5.1-channel surround mix for the music!!! This project has been in the works for all of 2013!!!

#9 of 144 OFFLINE   AshJW

AshJW

Stunt Coordinator

• 182 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted February 06 2014 - 11:38 PM

Well, I hope they put also the mono-track on it.

Louise-Brooks_Sig_50.JPG

#10 of 144 OFFLINE   Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,324 posts

Posted February 07 2014 - 02:01 AM

It IS being "messed with"...in a GOOD way...read my original post for the full details, but they are using original multi-track stems to create a 5.1-channel surround mix for the music!!! This project has been in the works for all of 2013!!!

Right, it's a while since I read the books on the Beatles recording history.  I'm pretty sure that the album wasn't recorded just in mono, but I don't know if there were enough tracks to do anything like full 5.1.  If I were to guess, it'll have been recorded in 4 track, absolute maximum.

For me, I'd look at it another way.  I do specifically remember that the film had its own mono mixes created for ity, which are different to the mixes put out on LP at the time.  I'd love to have those on an isolated score track.

EDIT: A quick bit of research, this from George Martin:

"With the great advance of four-track we were able to overdub and put on secondary voices and guitar solos afterwards. By the time we did A Hard Day's Night we would certainly put the basic track down and do the vocals afterwards. Invariably, I was putting all the rhythm instruments onto either one or two tracks (generally one track) so you would have bass lumped with guitar. It wasn't until later still that we began putting bass on afterwards as well, giving Paul the opportunity of using his voice more."

So the 4 track recording technique was just used to bonuce down as much as possible.  It's quite possible that all that remains is two track, with vocal in one channel and instrumentation in the other, or at most 3 track, with vocals in one, bass and guitar in the second, drums in the third.

Steve W

Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#11 of 144 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,480 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted February 07 2014 - 08:21 AM

AHDN was the first of their albums recorded in 4-track (after a few 4-track singles). I think only "Can't Buy Me Love" required a bounce-down.

Knowing that Janus is now distributing, I'm looking more forward to the eventual theatrical showings. This is pretty high on my list of films to see in a theater. The Blu will be welcomed since Miramax's DVD holds up incredibly well visually, but the 5.1 track doesn't. I wouldn't be worried about Criterion leaving off the mono track since they included both mono and 5.1 on films like Head and Easy Rider (as well as newer remixes like Anatomy of a Murder and Seven Samurai).

#12 of 144 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,310 posts

Posted February 07 2014 - 10:27 AM

In regards to the audio soundtrack...it's my understanding that the original mono soundtrack will be included on the blu-ray for historical purists along with the new 5.1-channel remix. Moreover, the original audio work parts(that is, the isolated bounced tracks)for the music were located over a decade ago at EMI's tape vaults for the 2006 "Love" Cirque Du Soleil project, so they are using absolute FIRST GENERATION multi-track stems to do the surround remix...so it's good news all around for lovers of the Beatles' music...

#13 of 144 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,191 posts

Posted February 07 2014 - 10:27 AM

Might as well go all the way and throw in the 1982 Dolby mix just for historical curiosity value.

#14 of 144 OFFLINE   davincihorse

davincihorse

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted February 07 2014 - 12:34 PM

Would Robert Harris ( ask Criterion) know what was proper projected aspect ratio?MPI VHS/Laserdisc/DVD was Full-Frame. Is there a conflict on what forthcoming AHDN for Bluray will be?

#15 of 144 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,739 posts

Posted February 07 2014 - 12:43 PM

Like most UK productions at the time, it was 1.75:1.

More information on widescreen in the UK can be found here: http://www.3dfilmarc...n-documentation

From the original 35mm academy leader advising operators of the intended ratio:

AHDN_5Bcrop.jpg

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bubbleweb_edited-1_zpsc986b444.jpg

#16 of 144 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,310 posts

Posted February 07 2014 - 12:49 PM

POPULAR

Bob...it's also my understanding that Criterion will be using the restored mono audio soundtrack your brother Ron did for the previous 40th Anniversary edition this time for the blu-ray along with the new Giles Martin surround remix...and that it will not be tampered with this time... :thumbs-up-smiley:

#17 of 144 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,704 posts

Posted February 07 2014 - 12:55 PM

In the past, Criterion was very tight-lipped about unannounced releases (with those in the know sworn to secrecy). Where is this specific (understood) information about the Blu-Ray coming from?

#18 of 144 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,346 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 07 2014 - 12:57 PM

The New Years newsletter clue had four beetles moving towards the picnic, and Janus films has announced theatrical bookings of the film. It's a sure thing.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#19 of 144 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,543 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted February 07 2014 - 01:11 PM

Well the remastered CD sounds fab, & unlike the old one is in stereo. It's my favourite Beatles album, chock full of short catchy pop songs. Not sure if I'll buy the Blu-ray, it could be one of those films I enjoyed in the day, but no so much now. I use the Marylebone train station a couple of time a week & often wonder what it was like then when they filmed the Beatles there. 

#20 of 144 OFFLINE   davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts
  • LocationVancouver, B.C.

Posted February 07 2014 - 05:43 PM

Like most UK productions at the time, it was 1.75:1.

More information on widescreen in the UK can be found here: http://www.3dfilmarc...n-documentation

From the original 35mm academy leader advising operators of the intended ratio:

Posted ImageAHDN_5Bcrop.jpg

I'm a lifelong Beatlemaniac. 1.75:1 is great; seeing that frame is THRILLING.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users