-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The greatest, best, most clever, moving, impressive Trailers you've ever seen

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 of 33 JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,516 posts

Posted February 16 2014 - 06:21 PM

I always liked the trailer for Far From Heaven...

http://www.imdb.com/...b/vi2359689497/

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#22 of 33 davidHartzog

davidHartzog

Second Unit

• 445 posts
  • Locationupstate NY

Posted February 16 2014 - 06:38 PM

The James Bond films from the 60s, particularly Goldfinger, You Only Live Twice, and Thunderball.
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

#23 of 33 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,377 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted February 16 2014 - 09:30 PM

Not everybody's cup of tea. But film as art to the extreme...

The Holy Mountain

#24 of 33 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,135 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 17 2014 - 03:11 PM

I've always found the re-release trailer for Saving Private Ryan to be particularly effective, mostly because it trusts Williams' score to do the vast majority of the heavy lifting.

• Neil Middlemiss likes this

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#25 of 33 bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 654 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted February 17 2014 - 05:38 PM

The trailer for Women in Love that was shown in Puerto Rico (could it have been an international version not shown in the States?), and which I've never seen again. The current "original"  trailer is no match for the imaginative use of footage in the trailer I saw overseas, which made sense before and after you saw the film. As brilliant as the film itself!

#26 of 33 Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,306 posts
  • LocationMos Eisley Spaceport

Posted February 21 2014 - 10:39 AM

My favorite is the teaser for Carlito's Way that featured his sunglasses and Pacino's great lines from The Godfather, The Godfather Part 2, Scent of a Woman (he had just won the Oscar) and Scarface.  

Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

#27 of 33 Bobby Henderson

Bobby Henderson

Stunt Coordinator

• 83 posts

Posted February 21 2014 - 12:10 PM

Sometimes I get a kick out of movie trailers and teasers. But not so much lately. Too many have developed this same-ness to them, with all the wooshing and booming crap thrown into the sound bed. They also crib from trailers like the one for Cliffhanger. I'm sorry, but I really don't expect yet another sequel, remake or re-tred of some sort to give me "the ride of my life."

One trailer I really liked was the teaser for the original 1990 version of Total Recall. I saw this clip in 70mm, attached to 70mm prints of Glory and Mountains of the Moon several months ahead of its Summer 1990 release. The teaser is very simple and effective in its concept. It was also consistent with teaser posters for Total Recall displayed at the same time. The 70mm teaser had a great surround screen to back wall fly-by pan effect involving two moons as the camera POV zoomed above Mars' surface toward a black pyramid. Unfortunately that 6-track surround sound track has never been ported over to DVD or Blu-ray. I've only seen it on home video in a poor quality, standard definition version with mere stereo surround instead of 5.1.

The teaser for Twister was really good. It didn't show too much from the movie, just the opening sequence. It had a great CGI gag at the end with a pickup truck falling out of a tornado and one of its tires flying right at the camera into the audiences' face. That startling image wasn't used in the movie.

I liked some of the advertising for the first Die Hard movie. "40 stories of adventure in 70mm six track Dolby Stereo that will blow you through the back wall of the theater!" But I think they mainly used that in the TV commercials.

The first trailer for 300 was pretty good. I liked its use of Nine Inch Nails' instrumental Just Like You Imagined. The first trailer for Watchmen (with music from The Smashing Pumpkins) was well done.

Some trailers would annoy me for obvious re-use of movie score music from other movies. I saw one trailer for The Abyss which recycled music from Die Hard. The music from The Terminator is pretty recognizable, but I've heard it used in trailers for other movies -like one of the trailers for the original version of Robocop.

#28 of 33 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,419 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 24 2014 - 07:41 AM

I very much enjoyed the commercials for the most recent Die Hard movie, but the horrifying reviews have so far kept me from actually seeing it. :)

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#29 of 33 Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm

Second Unit

• 452 posts
  • LocationStockholm, SWEDEN

Posted February 24 2014 - 03:16 PM

Since the release of the expanded soundtrack for The Abyss, I have been thinking about that film and the use of Michael Stearn's terrific music from the film Chronos used in the trailer. It took me years to identify the music used in the trailer, but it's effect in selling The Abyss has always impressed me. I love this trailer. The peek behind the curtains opening that discusses making the film, the wonder and awe in the imagery, and the powerful use of the Chronos score have long put this trailer at the top of my list (alongside the trailers for Alien and Aliens as being impressively constructed and scored pieces). So I am curious what trailers have had an effect on you over the years?

So where is that Abyss blu? Seeing the trailer again made me remember just how good the movie is, and how it deserves a good home cinema release.

Not everybody's cup of tea. But film as art to the extreme...

The Holy Mountain

Seriously dude, that was some seriously strange shit there ;)

/Mikael

- "Do you indulge in any form of worship?"
-"Life. I love life, very much indeed."
David Bowie interviewed by Russell Harty, 1973

#30 of 33 Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs

Supporting Actor

• 817 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted February 26 2014 - 11:23 AM

Best Trailer in recent memory.  Love the shots with the music.  And the Kraken at the end?  SOLD!

Boring film though.

#31 of 33 BurkeHattie

BurkeHattie

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted March 03 2014 - 01:29 AM

#32 of 33 Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,415 posts

Posted March 09 2014 - 06:45 PM

Recent examples coming to mind of stuff I loved:

The third trailer for "Man Of Steel" - loved the trailer, movie itself not as much.. if the movie had the grace and tone of the trailer, it could have been something really special:

The final trailer to "Star Trek" (2009) had a great vibe and made me think "you know what, I will give this a try":

Loved the second trailer to "Tron Legacy" which has the music from the film - read somewhere that Joseph Kosinski (the director) edited it himself:

This one blew my mind back in '08 (first full length trailer for "The Dark Knight"):

Also remember loving the teaser for "Garden State" - apparently Zach Braff cut it himself as a suggestion for how they could go, and the studio loved it and went with it:

This is a fun topic!!

• DaveF likes this

#33 of 33 Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 595 posts

Posted March 24 2014 - 11:31 AM

As a Star Trek fan, this puts a lump in my throat every time I watch it.

• Aaron Silverman and Neil Middlemiss like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users