What's new

HELP with my Home Theatre Project (1 Viewer)

Current equipment:

100 Inch Screen
EPSON 3020 3D Projector
Denon Receiver
DirecTV
Samsung 3D Blu-Ray
Harmony Smart Remote

I need help on color scheme, Other accessories, any thoughts would be appreciated.

photo 1-1.JPG
Photo Jan 25, 8 28 32 AM.jpg
photo 1-2.JPG

HFT Expert......It is an iPad, I actually use it as my Remote(Harmony Smart App).

I was thinking a black ceiling and a real dark crimson. Here is the paint color from Sherwin Williams I was thinking

1)Tricorn Black - SW6258
2)Red Theatre - SW7584

Really appreciate your feed back HTF Expert!!!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The darker the better. My theater room is all black. Make sure to use a flat enamel paint. A flat paint is too dull and chalky. If you just lightly brush it with your hand, etc. you will have a mark.

Jim Mcc said:
The darker the better. My theater room is all black. Make sure to use a flat enamel paint. A flat paint is too dull and chalky. If you just lightly brush it with your hand, etc. you will have a mark.
Thanks for the tip....what painting company? Sherwin Williams, etc? You have the paint number and name?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I used "Behr" Flat Enamel from Home Depot. The color is "Beluga Black" and the number is 770F-7. I've read that the Disney color "Mouse Ears" is another great black choice. Home Depot has the Disney colors also.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm partial to Valspar. Valspar used to be Lilly Industrial(yes, that Lilly). Then after a few name changes...was sold off. A few Lilly family members still own stock. Still made in Indianapolis though(and in a few other places now).That or Porter and Sherwin-Williams. Never tried Behr. Just stay away from Glidden.

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
I can think of a number of considerations regarding paint and color schems. 1) Is wife approval factor a consideration? I was lucky-my wife said "do whatever you want". She expressed second thoughts when I started to, but didn't reneg. If the aea is yours, and not in the middle of the house and house traffic, you will have more leeway. 2) Any kids that may use the room? Flat paint sounds good, but it doesn't clean up very well. If you have kids that can make a mess of the walls, it' s nice if it's temporary.

The amount of gloss that comes in paints is variable. I bought my colors at Lowes. They had 4 or 6 different finishes, going from absolute flat to a high gloss. I went about 2 steps up-and it's still non reflective, and can clean up easily.

Are esthetics with the lights on a consideration? That varies. if you are more a purest for when the lights are out, flat black for everything is fine. We've done thingls like leavig the lights on but partially dimmed while doing something like watching the superbowl. Having a blend of colors and furniture is, to me, a nice touch. I used a combination of a very dark chocolate brown for the screen wall, ceiling and sections of the ceiling soffit that faced the screen, a medium to darrk brown, lighter in shade than the ceiling on the side and back walls, an a deep brown tinted off white on the undersurface of the soffits to reflect light out of rope lights that can shine through the gap of crown molding placed between the wall and soffits, with the molding stained in a deep redwood shade. One wall was textured in stone, and the furniture was red leather with a Iranina (Persian) carpet in shades of red covering most of a wood floor. I've also seen some nice setups done in black with shades of gray.

Really light colors may reflect enough light back from the screen to wash out the image somewhat. However, if for some reason you end up using a light color scheme, consider using a darker screen with a darker backround immediately adjacent to the screen.

What about lighting? I've found dimable lighting a nice touch. You can do it as simply as a couple of pole lamps with built in rheostats, or wire in dimmers to lighting circuits. Lutron makes some nice units. I found the infra red remote units worked well and were reasonably priced

Are there any windows? If so, you might want to consider using black out shades. I haven't seen anyone use them much on the forums, but I've seen them used elsewhere. I grew up in Detroit, and went to public schools. They used film strips and movies frequentlly for AV presentations, nealry always during the day, They used black out shades, running in tracks built into the window frames. They worked quite well, as I recall. I did a Google search of them sometime ago, and they are still around and reasonably priced. They might be a consideration if you have windows to contend with.

Do you have anything in mind for acoustic treatments? Is sound reduction for the rest of the house a consideration? The room looks built. Are you going to run cabling for speakers in the walls?

Don't forget your nutritional requirements. "Popcorn" by Patrick Evans Hylton, avaliable from Amazon can give you a variety of ways to starve off pangs of hunger during a those long epics like Lawrence of Arabia.

Keep the pictures coming as things progress !

vidiot33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
If you're looking for the darkest paint, I'd recommend Roscoe deepVelour. It's industrial and has to be mixed with water, but it's pro grade ..

I will try to answer some of the questions from Bobofone.

1)No wife approval needed, It is agreed the basement is my space alone.
2)No kids...just a teenager about to leave for college
3)The lights I have are dimable
4)There is a window, I am thinking about adding a sliding door to my room to keep it really dark
5)Speakers are already installed(Polk). Three in front under the screen and two in the ceiling with a big woofer. Below is the other part of my basement.

photo 5.JPG

photo 3.JPG

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I understand 4. But...there should be no reason to add a track. (a door with a "track" above and under won't allow light seepage like standard doors. Interior doors typically don't have thresholds)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks