I have a Sony VPLHW15 projector. If I have my aluminum body laptop hooked up to it via HDMI (through a receiver) and I happen to have any static electricity on my body and I touch the laptop and get a shock, then the projector starts flashing on and off with a period of a few seconds. Sometimes it recovers but sometimes is keeps doing this until I have to turn it off, wait a few mins for it to cool, and then turn it back on. Very annoying!
The other day this also happened when I got a shock of a nearby light switch. Not sure if the current reached it through the laptop (which was plugged in) and HDMI, or if it went through the power outlet for the projector, but it got there somehow!
What is going on here? Any way to prevent this?