What's new

Pioneer Elite SC-05 Reciever (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Would it be correct to assume that the SC-05 can not pass 1080p 3D. Or is there a firmware update that would allow the SC-05 to pass 3D? Wondering if I need to buy a new receiver or not?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
3D is not part of HDMI 1.3.

However, the ability to pass 3D is nothing more than a matter of speed. If your 3D is a TV on a 6ft or less HDMI...it might pass it. If it is a 25ft HDMI to a projector...not a chance.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Trying to decide if I am going to buy a new tv. Trying to decide if I am going to buy a 55" Samsung 4K or a 65" Samsung 1080p 3DTV ???? I guess it doesn't matter what tv because I will not be able to afford a new receiver for at least a few years and I have not heard any new news about Verizon Fios offering 4K channels. Not worried about having to run 4K through the receiver even if I get one.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you can afford it, go with the bigger screen size. As to the 4K, I'm sitting that fight out until it catches on or it fails to do so.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Don't even worry about 4K till HDMI 2.0 hits the market.If 2.0 becomes required...all these recently sold 1.4 might have to be replaced. And yes, we all know all about "passes and/or upscales to 4K".What about is 12 bit color becomes a reality. Is 1.4 going to pass that?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
IMG_0072.JPG

Going to keep the PIoneer Elite SC-05 for a while but will start looking into what choices are out there. And will most likely wait for the 4K specs to be nailed down and see if any new audio formats come out.

IMG_1356.JPG

IMG_1388.JPG

IMG_1394.JPG

I thought about what you said Robert but I don't have room for a bigger screen. I was thinking about a 1080p 70" again the lack of room kinda killed that and I was ok with going 55" screen. Couldn't resist the Samsung UHD 55" 4K tv and watching a few movies on it already compaired to the 2005 Sony Wega, wow what a difference and I like it better than the standard 1080p Samsung and Sony. If this 4K TV has a problem with the HDMI not having the right ver to watch 4K content I might just turn it into my bedroom tv or my pc monitor??? I hear the streaming service M Go is supposed to offer movies in 4K this year, will see what happens.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I guess it really doesn't matter at this point, but I was never able to successfully pass 3D through the SC-05. I use the dual outputs of my Oppo for 3D.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
And Sam, you keep saying stuff about the 2.0 spec and it keeps the doubt creeping in about keeping the SC-77.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Does anyone else have a Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD player and a Pioneer Elite SC-05? I have tried changing setting to get the reciever to decode Dolby Digital Plus with no sucess. The HD-A1 did not stream it ether and I have downloaded a Dolby Digital Plus demo from Dolby and when I play that file off a usb drive plugged into my Denon DBP-1611UD the Dolby + lights up so I know the reciever is decoding it. Is there something I am missing that is causing the Dolby Digital Plus from the HD-DVD not to stream to the receiver and get decoded there? The thing is if I choose Dolby Digital Plus on HD-DVD the receiver shows PCM even though I do not have it set to send it PCM to the receiver.

IMG_7016.JPG

IMG_7017.JPG

IMG_7018.JPG

IMG_7019.JPG

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Blame EDID.Back then(when the XA2 was new), DD+ didn't exist in any AVR.The only way the XA2 doesn't decode(meaning it sends a bitstream) is if "Hey, I decode DD+" is part of the EDID.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
The AVR is decoding dd+ it is an issue with the Toshiba HD-DVD player screwing up everything. If I play a video file from a USB flash drive via the Denon Blu-ray player dd+ works fine and the AVR decodes it like it should. But when I put in a HD-DVD disc encoded with dd+ I get PCM + Dolby logo on display.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Thanks for repeating what you already said. So, I'll repeat.There were zero, nada, zilch, not one single AVR made by anybody, anywhere, at all, that could decode DD+ when that HD-DVD player was new.Ergo, it will take you buying every single AVR made to find the one that your XA2 will pass a bistream DD+ to.Happy hunting.By the way. Have you ever looked at p.63 of the owners manual? The OM lists "depends on HDMI of receiver" for, pretty much, all "auto" audio settings. What that means is, if the SC05 can't tell the XA2 that it can decode a sound format, the XA2 automatically does it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks