What's new

3D Will we ever see U2 3D on Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Seems like a natural for Blu-ray. I'm surprised it hasn't been released yet. Does anyone have any info on the likelihood of this getting released?

pinknik

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I hope so. I think the initial objection was U2 not wanting to release a substandard anaglyph version, but that's no longer an issue. Maybe now the issue is they waited too long.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It would be a Day 1 purchase for me if it came out. Maybe with a new album set to come out this year, it'll be fresh on the record labels' mind. They've been pretty good about doing catalogue releases of their albums expanded tracks and bonus concerts, so I'm still hopeful that we'll get it one day.

The Vertigo tour turns 10 next year, so maybe it'll be part of whatever 10th Anniversary "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" whatever that they might do. Guy can hope, right?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Will this one ever make it to blu ray? I saw it in theaters when it was released. It would be nice to own it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'd buy it instantly, but as far as I know, there are still no plans. Every now and then it seems to come up on the U2.com forums and is usually met with crickets chirping, I guess the number of U2 fans with 3D TVs is lower than HTF members with them. The theatrical DCP is still in circulation, occasionally it gets shown... I saw it in NYC in October 2010 and again in May 2012. With them going on tour next year, I'm hoping some theater might have a random screening or two. Unfortunately I think that's the best that we can hope for at the moment.

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
From what I read it wasn't released because they wanted a medium that would replicate it as in theaters..if that would be possible?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
phillyrobt said:
From what I read it wasn't released because they wanted a medium that would replicate it as in theaters..if that would be possible?
It would be now -- at the time the movie was originally released, the 3D Blu-ray standard hadn't yet been invented, so the only option for a home release in 3D would have been anaglyph on DVD, which the band didn't want. I think in terms of the technical quality that a BD3D disc would be fine.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I'd be happy with a 2D version of the film as well, I enjoyed that tour quite a bit. It is strange that it has never been issued on 3D blu ray. Maybe the market is too small for the release?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Osato said:
I'd be happy with a 2D version of the film as well, I enjoyed that tour quite a bit. It is strange that it has never been issued on 3D blu ray. Maybe the market is too small for the release?
Me too - I saw them live on that tour more times than I should probably admit :)

At least there are two DVDs from the "Vertigo" tour already out there - there's the "U2: Vertigo 2005 - Live From Chicago" set which has a full-length arena show from the tour, and then there's the "U2 - Live From Milan" DVD that was a bonus disc on the "U218" greatest hits deluxe edition set. I believe both were filmed in HD, I wish they would reissue them on Blu-ray.

But overall the Blu-ray 3D market seems to be shrinking, or at least studio support is waning, so I guess it's sort of a "chicken and the egg" thing going on with that. But there are at least a few 3D concert discs out there, Peter Gabriel has one, so does the new version of Guns 'N' Roses... I really hope that someday this gets put out on a 3D disc.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thanks for sharing that article, that was a nice blast from the past!

I think the technology to show this at home exists now... it would've made a great addition to some sort of tenth anniversary edition of the "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" album and Vertigo tour, but alas, I think they're going to be focusing on the new album and the new tour, and trying not to get spanked in the press for getting anything else wrong. (I don't think the album release was so terrible, I get that not everyone is a U2 fan but I don't see iTunes giving you a free download as being as major an issue as it was made out to be. But the tour ticket prices are insane... I love them and I'll see them, but at least in NYC, the face value price for many upper level seats is $300 and that's just ridiculous. I think all of my tickets on the Vertigo tour were in the $50 range.)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Josh Steinberg said:
Thanks for sharing that article, that was a nice blast from the past!

I think the technology to show this at home exists now... it would've made a great addition to some sort of tenth anniversary edition of the "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" album and Vertigo tour, but alas, I think they're going to be focusing on the new album and the new tour, and trying not to get spanked in the press for getting anything else wrong. (I don't think the album release was so terrible, I get that not everyone is a U2 fan but I don't see iTunes giving you a free download as being as major an issue as it was made out to be. But the tour ticket prices are insane... I love them and I'll see them, but at least in NYC, the face value price for many upper level seats is $300 and that's just ridiculous. I think all of my tickets on the Vertigo tour were in the $50 range.)
Agreed on the album. I was happy to get it via Itunes and I think it is their best one since the 90's.
I would love to see U2 in Chicago, but I also agree with you on ticket prices. Not as many dates, but several shows in each city. I'm intrigued by the idea of 2 very different shows. Tickets seem to be too much for me as well. I'll buy the concert blu ray (if they release one) most likely.

I saw U2 twice on the 360 and Vertigo tours. Chicago and Minneapolis.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Osato said:
Agreed on the album. I was happy to get it via Itunes and I think it is their best one since the 90's.
I would love to see U2 in Chicago, but I also agree with you on ticket prices. Not as many dates, but several shows in each city. I'm intrigued by the idea of 2 very different shows. Tickets seem to be too much for me as well. I'll buy the concert blu ray (if they release one) most likely.

I saw U2 twice on the 360 and Vertigo tours. Chicago and Minneapolis.
Very cool, were you at the shows that were filmed for the Chicago DVD? I just watched that again the other night and while it doesn't look pretty on a large HD screen, the performances are as powerful as ever.

I was able to get some of the more inexpensive tickets - they're doing general admission on the floor again, and the face value on those was $75, which seemed a lot more reasonable. I couldn't help but get tickets to both of the shows because I'm dying to see what they do over two nights. So next summer, when whatever the latest Blu-rays are come out and I'm whining about being too broke to buy them, I'll have to remind myself that I did that to myself buying U2 tickets :)

I do really like the record - and I love the "acoustic session" version of the songs that appears on the bonus disc with the physical CD release. The acoustic version of "Every Breaking Wave" is just stunning to me, and I think "Song For Someone" is incredibly beautiful. I'd love to see either of those get some radio play.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Josh Steinberg said:
Very cool, were you at the shows that were filmed for the Chicago DVD? I just watched that again the other night and while it doesn't look pretty on a large HD screen, the performances are as powerful as ever.

I was able to get some of the more inexpensive tickets - they're doing general admission on the floor again, and the face value on those was $75, which seemed a lot more reasonable. I couldn't help but get tickets to both of the shows because I'm dying to see what they do over two nights. So next summer, when whatever the latest Blu-rays are come out and I'm whining about being too broke to buy them, I'll have to remind myself that I did that to myself buying U2 tickets :)

I do really like the record - and I love the "acoustic session" version of the songs that appears on the bonus disc with the physical CD release. The acoustic version of "Every Breaking Wave" is just stunning to me, and I think "Song For Someone" is incredibly beautiful. I'd love to see either of those get some radio play.
If I recall correctly I was at the last show in Chicago for the Vertigo tour. So I missed the night they filmed. However, they played a few new ones that night..

http://tours.atu2.com/concert/united-center-chicago-may-12-2005

The other show I saw on Vertigo was in Minneapolis at the Target Center. It was great to hear The First Time live. I am partial to Zooropa.

http://tours.atu2.com/concert/target-center-minneapolis-sep-23-2005

For the 360 tour I saw show 2 in Chicago.. Stay (Far away so Close), The Unforgettable Fire and Your Blue Room were highlights for me.

http://tours.atu2.com/concert/soldier-field-chicago-sep-13-2009

Finally I saw U2 in Minneapolis again on 360 close to the end of the tour.. That was the best show of all of them that I have seen. It was outdoors and raining. They played Zooropa, several tracks from Actung (which the crowd went nuts for especially the open number Even Better Than The Real Thing), Scarlet, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me..

It sounds like the next single will be Every Breaking Wave. Great tune on the new album. There isn't anything on it that I don't care for unlike the last few albums which I thought were hit and miss.

I did not pick up a physical copy of the new album. I just did the download. Sounds like the acoustic versions are decent then? I thought they were perfect the way they were on the album and I'm not a big fan of acoustic stuff for the most part. Maybe I'm still burnt out on MTV Unplugged?

Nice job on getting tickets for a show on the new tour. It's going to be hard to top 360!
Which city are you going to see them in?
Agreed it will be cool to see how different the set lists are night to night for the shows. As you can tell, I love it when they play the deep and obscure tracks like... The Ocean which they also played on Vertigo tour..

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Osato said:
If I recall correctly I was at the last show in Chicago for the Vertigo tour. So I missed the night they filmed. However, they played a few new ones that night..

http://tours.atu2.com/concert/united-center-chicago-may-12-2005

The other show I saw on Vertigo was in Minneapolis at the Target Center. It was great to hear The First Time live. I am partial to Zooropa.

http://tours.atu2.com/concert/target-center-minneapolis-sep-23-2005

For the 360 tour I saw show 2 in Chicago.. Stay (Far away so Close), The Unforgettable Fire and Your Blue Room were highlights for me.

Finally I saw U2 in Minneapolis again on 360 close to the end of the tour.. That was the best show of all of them that I have seen. It was outdoors and raining. They played Zooropa, several tracks from Actung (which the crowd went nuts for especially the open number Even Better Than The Real Thing), Scarlet, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me..

It sounds like the next single will be Every Breaking Wave. Great tune on the new album. There isn't anything on it that I don't care for unlike the last few albums which I thought were hit and miss.

I did not pick up a physical copy of the new album. I just did the download. Sounds like the acoustic versions are decent then? I thought they were perfect the way they were on the album and I'm not a big fan of acoustic stuff for the most part. Maybe I'm still burnt out on MTV Unplugged?

Nice job on getting tickets for a show on the new tour. It's going to be hard to top 360!

Which city are you going to see them in?

Agreed it will be cool to see how different the set lists are night to night for the shows. As you can tell, I love it when they play the deep and obscure tracks like... The Ocean which they also played on Vertigo tour..

The acoustic versions were more than decent in my opinion - and I'm usually not a huge fan of when U2 goes acoustic, but it just works here. Bono's voice really gets a chance to soar in the acoustic versions. The live "Every Breaking Wave" that they did at awards and talk shows last fall (until Bono took his tumble) was pretty close to what's on the bonus disc. It doesn't have the entire album - I believe just Every Breaking Wave, California (There Is No End To Love), Raised By Wolves, Cedarwood Road, Song For Someone, and The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone).

I'm also partial to Zooropa, and the obscure deep tracks - I think Vertigo was my favorite tour for that reason. I never ever imagined I'd get to hear them play stuff like The Ocean or The First Time, and my head nearly exploded when they did. Unforgettable Fire on 360 was amazing! Stay always gets me, such a great song (and maybe my favorite music video of theirs too). I feel like our list of favorite rare U2 tracks probably would be pretty similar :)

I'm seeing them for sure in NYC. I'd like to sneak up to Boston to catch a show, I went to college there and then stayed for a few years, so I caught the Vertigo tour up there, so for sentimental reasons I'd love to see them in that town again.

I have a copy of that Vertigo show you saw in Chicago (it's audience shot but decent quality as I remember), I tried sending a PM but not sure if it went through - but would be happy to send a copy to you if you'd like one :)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
New tour starts tonight.

Anyone attending?

I'm guessing some new tunes and the. Lots of cuts from pop and zooropa!!!

JeremyLG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeremy
I'm guessing there is still no possible announcement of this yet to be released. Would love it and buy it if they do.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That's correct, there's been no announcement made to date. At this point, it is extremely unlikely that it will ever be released on home video.

When the film first came to theaters back in 2008, the band was asked about a potential home video release, and the answer was that since they meant for the film to be seen in 3D, they wouldn't release it at home until enough people had 3D TVs. With the news this year that all television manufacturers have dropped 3D from their 2017 lineup (much to my chagrin, for what little that's worth), the band's prerequisite requirement that 3D TVs be widespread and popular is no longer possible. Between existing 3D TVs and 3D projectors still be manufactured, there's definitely a small audience out there capable of viewing this in 3D, but I think the ideal time for a release would have been around 2010-2013.

There also isn't an easy event to tie this into anymore. U2 are currently touring behind The Joshua Tree, a thirty year old record with no connection to U2 3D. The album and tour that U2 3D celebrated are over ten years old, so they've missed a potential "tenth anniversary" opportunity. Technically, next year will be the tenth anniversary of the film's release, but I don't see that really making much of a difference.

Don't get me wrong, this is a holy grail title for me, but the people and corporate entities that own the rights to this title have never demonstrated any desire whatsoever to release it on disc.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
That's correct, there's been no announcement made to date. At this point, it is extremely unlikely that it will ever be released on home video.

When the film first came to theaters back in 2008, the band was asked about a potential home video release, and the answer was that since they meant for the film to be seen in 3D, they wouldn't release it at home until enough people had 3D TVs. With the news this year that all television manufacturers have dropped 3D from their 2017 lineup (much to my chagrin, for what little that's worth), the band's prerequisite requirement that 3D TVs be widespread and popular is no longer possible. Between existing 3D TVs and 3D projectors still be manufactured, there's definitely a small audience out there capable of viewing this in 3D, but I think the ideal time for a release would have been around 2010-2013.

There also isn't an easy event to tie this into anymore. U2 are currently touring behind The Joshua Tree, a thirty year old record with no connection to U2 3D. The album and tour that U2 3D celebrated are over ten years old, so they've missed a potential "tenth anniversary" opportunity. Technically, next year will be the tenth anniversary of the film's release, but I don't see that really making much of a difference.

Don't get me wrong, this is a holy grail title for me, but the people and corporate entities that own the rights to this title have never demonstrated any desire whatsoever to release it on disc.

Great post.
I think the band has moved on too.
Maybe in 20 years they will go on tour for this film and it's 30th anniversary??

Ha!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks