-

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: Blazing Saddles: 40th Anniversary (Blu-ray)

Warner BD/DVD Press Release

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,574 posts

Posted February 03 2014 - 09:57 PM

94370_front.jpg

Blazing Saddles:

40th Anniversary Blu-ray™

Comedy Classic Arrives May 6 with New Featurette by Mel Brooks and Collectibles

Burbank, Calif., February 3, 2014 – On May 6, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (WBHE) will commemorate the four-decade birthday of the great comedy classic Blazing Saddles, by releasing a new 40th Anniversary Blu-ray highlighted by a new featurette Blaze of Glory: Mel Brooks' Wild, Wild West in which Mel Brooks reflects on his own movie-making chutzpah, Blazing Saddles' lasting cultural impact on audiences of all generations, and alongside co-stars Gene Wilder and Madeline Kahn, proves why his film is, without a doubt, the funniest and most outrageous film ever made. Blazing Saddles 40thAnniversary Bu-ray will also include 10 quotable art cards with funny quotes and images from the film, plus vintage extra content including Brooks’ commentary, cast reunion documentary, and “Black Bart,” the 1975 television pilot inspired by the movie. The Blu-ray will be available for $24.98 SRP.

The unforgettable Brooks comedy, one of Warner Bros.’ most successful ever, is listed as #6 on American Film Institute’s (AFI) list of the best comedies of all time – “AFI’s 100 Years…100 Laughs.”[1] First released in 1974, Blazing Saddles grossed nearly $120 million at the domestic box office and has sold more than 4.6 million DVDs. The Western film genre spoof is one of Brooks’ top commercially successful films, along with Young Frankenstein, also released that same year. Brooks’ other film highlights include The Producers, High AnxietySilent MovieHistory of the World: Part I and To Be or Not to Be.

Mel Brooks is one of only seven people who have earned all four major entertainment prizes -- the Tony®, the Emmy®, the Grammy® and the Oscar®.

Brooks started as a writer for Sid Caesar on “Your Show of Shows” in 1951. Later he created with Buck Henry the popular spy sitcom “Get Smart.”  Brooks received his first Emmy® Award for Outstanding Writing Achievement in Comedy-Variety in 1967 for “The Sid Caesar, Imogene Coca, Carl Reiner, Howard Morris Special.” He later earned three more Emmys for Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series for “Mad About You.”

In the ‘60s, Brooks teamed with Carl Reiner for their best-selling “2000 Year Old Man” comedy album series, which continued in various versions for the next four decades. It received two Grammy®nominations and one Grammy win.

Brooks’ earned his Oscar® for The Producers, for Best Original Screenplay (1968). The film later became the basis for the hit Broadway musical of the same name, which won Brooks three Tony® Awards (2001 Musical Book, Original Musical Score and Musical) and two Grammy Awards (2001, Best Musical Show Album “The Producers” and Best Long Form Music Video “Recording The Producers: A Musical Romp with Mel Brooks”).

In addition to his own films, which include The Twelve Chairs, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, Silent Movie, High Anxiety, History Of The World Part I, To Be or Not To Be, Spaceballs, Life Stinks, Robin Hood: Men In Tights and Dracula: Dead And Loving It,  Brooks has produced, under his own Brooksfilms Limited banner, The Elephant Man, The Fly, Frances and 84 Charing Cross Road, among others.

In 2009 Brooks was one of the five recipients of The Kennedy Center Honors and in 2013 he received AFI’s Life Achievement Award.

Blazing Saddles stars Cleavon Little as an unlikely sheriff in the town of Rock Ridge, Harvey Korman as the villain, Madeline Kahn as a Marlene Dietrich-style chanteuse, Gene Wilder as the wacko Waco Kid and Brooks himself as a dimwitted politico. Once the lunatic film gets started, logic is lost in a blizzard of gags, jokes, quips, puns and outrageous assaults upon good taste or any taste at all. The film was nominated for three Academy Awards®-- Supporting Actress for Kahn, Best Editing and Best Song.

DVD extra content includes:

• Blaze of Glory: Mel Brooks' Wild, Wild West –All new!

Vintage Elements:

·         Commentary by Mel Brooks

• Back in the Saddle cast/crew reunion documentary
  • Black Bart - 1975 TV pilot inspired by the movie; starring Lou Gossett Jr. and Steve Landesberg
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Theatrical Trailer

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

Blazing Saddles: 40th Anniversary Blu-ray

Street Date: May 6, 2014

Order Due Date: April 1, 2014

$24.98 SRP

Rating: R

Run Time: 93 minutes

Cat/UPC: 1000408999/ 883929344581

Academy Award(s)® and Oscar(s)® are registered trademarks and services marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

EMMY® is the registered trademark of the ATAS/NATAS.

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 25 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,368 posts

Posted February 04 2014 - 10:14 AM

Gotta wait to see if it's a new transfer. The current blu looks like a port from the LD.

#3 of 25 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,574 posts

Posted February 04 2014 - 10:24 AM

You know, generally, if the press release doesn't say NEW TRANSFER....

...it isn't.

Blazing Saddles already has been acclaimed as being a tremendous Blu-ray

transfer, so I don't think the studio feels there is much room for improvement.

...but anything is possible.

Ronald J Epstein

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4 of 25 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,155 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted February 04 2014 - 10:30 AM

My copy in the Blu-ray set looks fantastic.  I love the film, but I don't see any need for improvement for my home viewing pleasure, and I see nothing new here requiring my attention.

Which isn't always a bad thing.  Just sayin'.  Not to mention, such words now and then are music to my wallet's ears.      

#5 of 25 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,065 posts

Posted February 04 2014 - 10:38 AM

Blazing Saddles looked pretty good on blu-ray already but it could seriously use a lossless soundtrack and/or the original mono.

• MatthewA likes this

#6 of 25 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,167 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted February 04 2014 - 03:57 PM

I presume the commentary is not new? If you don't already own this (and why don't you? :) )this is a buy, but otherwise....
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#7 of 25 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,228 posts

Posted February 04 2014 - 04:08 PM

Gotta wait to see if it's a new transfer. The current blu looks like a port from the LD.

Can't agree with that - I thought the BD looked really good!

Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#8 of 25 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,431 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 04 2014 - 06:18 PM

I am quite happy with the current version.

"Mongo only pawn in game of life".

#9 of 25 Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,088 posts

Posted February 04 2014 - 06:55 PM

Who the hell is going to buy this? I got mine in the Mel Brooks box-set and, as the standalone disc has been discounted as cheap as $5, this seems like a waste of time and resources on WB's part. 

• Rob W likes this

#10 of 25 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,368 posts

Posted February 04 2014 - 08:44 PM

I think it looks and sounds acceptable on the current blu; I don't know...there's something weird about the grain, but I'd have to ask an expert. It would also be nice if they put Black Bart and the deleted scenes in hi-def; we'll see.

#11 of 25 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,588 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted February 04 2014 - 08:49 PM

I skipped the original BD cause...

I got the 30th Ann. DVD already. This will look good combined with that one(you knew a 40th was coming...).

#12 of 25 Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts
  • LocationSaranac Lake, NY

Posted February 04 2014 - 08:50 PM

Going to be a tough sell with the current Blu-Ray in the $5.00 bin at WalMart.

#13 of 25 Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,262 posts

Posted February 05 2014 - 04:51 AM

When the HD formats first arrived I bought Young Frankanstein and Blazing Saddles as soon as they appeared - fond memories of both from my youth.

I loved re-watching Young Frankenstein, but I barely chuckled at Blazing Saddles.  I'm not sure it has aged as well, though to me the comedy just didn't seem as...'clever'.  Or maybe I was just in the wrong mood.

Steve W

Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#14 of 25 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,574 posts

Posted February 05 2014 - 05:22 AM

Yorkshire,

Just the opposite for me.

Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein are my two favorite Mel Brooks films.

However I find Saddles to be much funnier.

No two people will rarely pick the same Mel Brooks film as being the funniest.

Ronald J Epstein

#15 of 25 David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,578 posts

Posted February 05 2014 - 05:47 AM

Yorkshire,

Just the opposite for me.

Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein are my two favorite Mel Brooks films.

However I find Saddles to be much funnier.

No two people will rarely pick the same Mel Brooks film as being the funniest.

Oh come on Ron, everyone knows it's 'The Elephant Man'. ;)

#16 of 25 Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,262 posts

Posted February 05 2014 - 06:37 AM

It's a good job we're not all the same, or the internet would grind to a halt.

;)

Steve W

Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#17 of 25 battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted February 05 2014 - 06:58 AM

I think "saddles" and "Frankenstein" are his two best.
I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#18 of 25 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,228 posts

Posted February 05 2014 - 07:07 AM

When the HD formats first arrived I bought Young Frankanstein and Blazing Saddles as soon as they appeared - fond memories of both from my youth.

I loved re-watching Young Frankenstein, but I barely chuckled at Blazing Saddles.  I'm not sure it has aged as well, though to me the comedy just didn't seem as...'clever'.  Or maybe I was just in the wrong mood.

Steve W

I'm with you - "YF" is much more consistent and clever and funny, IMO.  "BS" has its moments but relies too much on cheap gags...

Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#19 of 25 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,588 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted February 05 2014 - 07:13 AM

I'm with you - "YF" is much more consistent and clever and funny, IMO. "BS" has its moments but relies too much on cheap gags...

Cheap gags?

When you spoof a genre, you spoof the way it was made.

Frankenstein...no matter how you cut it, is a cerebral read/viewing experience.

How many westerns are cerebral?

#20 of 25 Didier R

Didier R

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted February 05 2014 - 07:18 AM

Steve W

You barely chuckled at Blazing Saddles? In other words, you don't have a sense of humor.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner, BD/DVD Press Release

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users