What's new

Films that are only available on VHS and not yet on DVD as of Jan. 2014 (1 Viewer)

DisneySwan1990

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sagalina Hazzan
These are the list of films that are only available on VHS and still hasn't been released to DVD as of January 2014:Rad (1986)1492: Conquest of ParadiseJosh and S.A.M.A Pig's TaleHawksThe ChallengersWakko's WishMegaforcAt Play on the FieldsTimemasterTough and DeadlyThe AddictionDeconstructing SarahThe ComparionAddams Family ReunionLegacy of LiesDead OnBlue IceCaught in the ActBlood and DonutsFreddie as F.R.O.7

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
DisneySwan1990 said:
These are the list of films that are only available on VHS and still hasn't been released to DVD as of January 2014:At Play on the Fields
That would be AT PLAY IN THE FIELDS OF THE LORD (1991), an astonishing film by Hector Babenco (KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN) about missionaries attempting to force their beliefs on South American natives and causing tragedy instead. It stars John Lithgow, Darryl Hannah, Tom Berenger, Aidan Quinn, Kathy Bates, Kathy Bates and Tom Waits.This film was released on a piss-poor pan and scan laserdisc, and can be ordered (as I did) on DVD from somewhere in Europe, but it's nothing more than a laser disc transfer to DVD.

It is inexplicable why this powerful film has never been released in a digital format.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
By not available on DVD, I take it you mean not available in North America. Even so, Megaforce and Blood and Donuts and Blue Ice have been released on DVD in Region 1.

1492, Tough and Deadly,The Addiction, and, possibly Caught in the Act (depending on which version you're referring to) are available in the UK.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I have dozens of anime titles and Hong Kong titles on VHS that never came out on DVD. I made a list of these titles once. If I could find it it would probably have to be updated. I have hundreds of old Hollywood films that I taped off TV in the 1980s to 2000s that have probably never been available on any home video format.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Beware my Lovely - which is coming from Olive Films this year and On the Comet (at least in English) - though there is a Czech version out there
I always thought it could be a great release from Twilight Time or Criterion

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
men of the fighting lady, platoon leader, escape to athena, the lighthorsemen, etc just to name a few.

ricktech12

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
Theres really no excuse in the world for "1492" only being available in the USA on VHS and Laserdisc. If you want it on DVD, BD you have to import it. It's a good film, entertaining and certainly deserves the DVD treatment domestically. Even if alot of people don't agree with the politics of the film, the way it potrays Columbus etc, it's pure fiction anyway not fact. I don't know what they are waiting for but it's 2014 and still no DVD or Blu-ray, this film deserves way better treatment than just a second hand VHS, LD for anyone living in the USA. It occasionally pops up on Netflix streaming, so an HD master of the film exists to say the least.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Two good films i would like to see on dvd/blu-ray is the 1980's comedy "Uforia" with Fred Ward and Cindy Willams...a very funny film only on vhs for now. The other film is "The Castle" (1968) a German film based on Franz Kafka's story with the late Maximilian Schell in a great performance and a great film too...only on vhs that's hard to find.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
DisneySwan1990 said:
These are the list of films that are only available on VHS and still hasn't been released to DVD as of January 2014:
There's, um, a lot of films that still haven't been released on home video since VHS/laserdisc. In the next 10 years, we still might not get them all. WB, Universal, Fox, Sony, MGM, etc all released countless films that have never been re-released on DVD. Listing every single film not on DVD/blu-ray yet on VHS/laserdisc would be a gargantuan effort even now, easily going into the thousands.

As far as my personal wish list off the top of my head, it includes the rest of the Eddie Cantors, Napoleon, Greed, The Senator Was Indiscreet, Blood on the Moon, and King of Jazz.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
When I did my Alan Ladd centennial piece for my blog last September, I looked for some of his films on DVD and was surprised at how many were not available in that format. I did find CHINA (1943) available on VHS on Amazon, so I purchased that and was very happy I did. Not only a superb Ladd film, but an excellent Hollywood film about the war in China--with much more of a Chinese point-of-view than we usually got in such films.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Though they weren't very good movies, the third and fourth versions of Ten Little Indians would be nice to have on something other than VHS or laser.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Sharon Tate, Vittorio Gassman and Orson Welles in 12+1 (1969) -- no masterpiece, but a fond farewell to the end of the 60s. Funny thing is that the soundtrack album on cd features two different scores (for the Italian and English language versions of the movie) in stereo and mono, yet no sign of the movie itself, last on vhs in the US back in 1986.

Also "1492" on dvd here in Australia and "Escape to Athena" on both dvd and bluray.

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Vic Pardo said:
When I did my Alan Ladd centennial piece for my blog last September, I looked for some of his films on DVD and was surprised at how many were not available in that format. I did find CHINA (1943) available on VHS on Amazon, so I purchased that and was very happy I did. Not only a superb Ladd film, but an excellent Hollywood film about the war in China--with much more of a Chinese point-of-view than we usually got in such films.
It's actually available from Universal in their Vault Series via Amazon; that's how I got my copy for Christmas.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
t1g3r5fan said:
It's actually available from Universal in their Vault Series via Amazon; that's how I got my copy for Christmas.
Thanks. Curiously, the release date given (June 24, 2013) predates my search yet it didn't come up when I looked in August. And the price isn't much higher than the VHS was. I would have sprung for it if I'd known.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
JoHud said:
There's, um, a lot of films that still haven't been released on home video since VHS/laserdisc. In the next 10 years, we still might not get them all. WB, Universal, Fox, Sony, MGM, etc all released countless films that have never been re-released on DVD. Listing every single film not on DVD/blu-ray yet on VHS/laserdisc would be a gargantuan effort even now, easily going into the thousands.

As far as my personal wish list off the top of my head, it includes the rest of the Eddie Cantors, Napoleon, Greed, The Senator Was Indiscreet, Blood on the Moon, and King of Jazz.
Blood On The Moon is available on a mediocre/poor DVD in U. K.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Robin9 said:
Blood On The Moon is available on a mediocre/poor DVD in U. K.
Thanks, but that one looks like it might emerge with a fresh remaster in the WAC pretty soon, along with The Lusty Men. Had I known sooner I'd have bought that, though.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
JoHud said:
Thanks, but that one looks like it might emerge with a fresh remaster in the WAC pretty soon, along with The Lusty Men. Had I known sooner I'd have bought that, though.
If a fresh remaster improves on the Region 2 DVD, I'll double-dip. It's a marvellous film, spoiled - for me - only by Barbara Bel Geddes whom I've never liked.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Robin9 said:
If a fresh remaster improves on the Region 2 DVD, I'll double-dip. It's a marvellous film, spoiled - for me - only by Barbara Bel Geddes whom I've never liked.
She's good as a character actress (the second banana part in VERTIGO), but I could never understand the postwar effort to make a leading lady out of her. (She was probably much better on the stage.) I think my big problem with Max Ophuls' CAUGHT (1949) was my failure to see why a rich and powerful man like Robert Ryan's character, supposedly based on Howard Hughes, would go through all that trouble for a mousy little thing like her. I mean, look at the women Hughes did go to all that trouble for! Quite a solid lineup, to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks