Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 of 50 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,564 posts

Posted February 04 2014 - 10:10 AM

Sad, very sad.

'Owning Mahowny' is my absolute favorite film of his.   Hoffman's performance in 'The Master' is nothing short of spellbinding, and the main reason I liked the movie.  

It's strange, a beautiful long time girlfriend, and 3 young children.  Why would he choose to destroy himself?  Was it accidental, or suicide?  I guess we will never know.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#42 of 50 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 3,794 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted February 04 2014 - 10:47 AM

Sad, very sad.

'Owning Mahowny' is my absolute favorite film of his.   Hoffman's performance in 'The Master' is nothing short of spellbinding, and the main reason I liked the movie.  

It's strange, a beautiful long time girlfriend, and 3 young children.  Why would he choose to destroy himself?  Was it accidental, or suicide?  I guess we will never know.

The newspapers in the UK were saying he split from his girlfriend, you can also be lonely and feel very down at this time of the year, sometimes people take things to try and make the pain they feel go away for a few hours, i think winter depression, indeed any depression is not well understood unless you have suffered it yourself, you can look okay on the outside but feel very bad on the inside, not that i am saying this happened here, it's possible though.

• Bryan^H likes this

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#43 of 50 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,536 posts

Posted February 04 2014 - 10:55 AM

The newspapers in the UK were saying he split from his girlfriend, you can also be lonely and feel very down at this time of the year, sometimes people take things to try and make the pain they feel go away for a few hours, i think winter depression, indeed any depression is not well understood unless you have suffered it yourself, you can look okay on the outside but feel very bad on the inside, not that i am saying this happened here, it's possible though.

Agreed this is a possibility. NYC winters are nothing to laugh at, and with the Polar Vortex I'm sure weather and Mother Nature is not contributing to Northeasterners' good time (outside of the Super Bowl weather).

And I just watched The Master last night. It should be called A Master Class in Acting by Phoenix and Hoffman. While some parts of the plot dragged for me, whenever these two men were on the screen their performances were captivating.

#44 of 50 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,355 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 04 2014 - 11:09 AM

I hate to make any kind of speculation but it's possible that since quality of heroin isn't exactly regulated (yet another reason to stay away from it) that he didn't think he was doing more than he could handle and it was a sad accident.

#45 of 50 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,362 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 04 2014 - 11:33 AM

It's almost certainly an accidental overdose -- wasn't there a huge supply of heroin found in his place? I assume if he wanted to kill himself then he would've just gotten what he needed.

He'd supposedly been sober for a long time, but went back into rehab last year, IIRC. Once you get addicted to that garbage, it's a life-long struggle to stay off it even if you do kick it for a while. It will forever baffle me why anyone over the age of 20 or so would ever even try it. (IMO it's a risk only a teenager would take.)

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#46 of 50 Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Screenwriter

• 2,967 posts

Posted February 04 2014 - 01:19 PM

I am really surprised that a person like Hoffman who had money did not "chase the dragon" over using needles. It is much harder to OD from chasing compared to injecting.

Being found with a needle still in your arm, what an undignified way to go.

I really feel sorry for his family.

#47 of 50 Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,108 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted February 04 2014 - 01:47 PM

People keep coming up with excuses or reasons but to me it's a simple matter of a genius not being able to really "deal" with the real world.  Brando, Dylan, Picasso, Chaplin and various others at the top of their game usually had either demons or things that haunted them.  I'm not going to put Hoffman put on their levels but I've just always felt that the really talented or truly special people just have a certain gift but it comes with a cost.  Look at how f'd up Lennon was.  I'm sure others could give countless other examples. 

#48 of 50 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,003 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 04 2014 - 08:20 PM

I think it's just as likely that what Philip Seymour Hoffman, Kurt Cobain, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Judy Garland, John Belushi, Whitney Houston, Janis Joplin, Marilyn Monroe etc. etc. had in common was fame, a working environment that validated drug use, and the personal wealth to fund a catastrophic drug habit.

#49 of 50 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,016 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted February 04 2014 - 08:58 PM

There are, sadly, some who get into hard drugs not because of any demons or pain, but but because they think they're cool or will make them a better artist.  Check out this blurb from Shawn Pyfrom (who was on "Desperate Housewives"):

http://www.people.co...0782904,00.html

Some get very enamoured of the whole "tortured artist" vibe.  As if it were the drugs that made the artists great.  Sad and stupid, if you ask me.    

#50 of 50 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,362 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 05 2014 - 12:12 PM

Agree 100%. Heroin never contributed to anyone's art. A true artist's pain is internal, and they may get into drugs to dull that. People who take drugs (simple hallucinogens aside) because they think it will inspire them are poseurs.

• JohnMor likes this
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users