What's new

What projector to buy? (1 Viewer)

JohnI

Grip
Looking for a projector for a client of mine. They want to spend anywhere from $1500-$2500 on just the projector and screen. Here are the facts.

Projector will be ceiling mounted and can be mounted anywhere, so throw distance isn't really a concern although less distance would be better.

16:9 1080P 3d is a must.

Picture size will be no more than 106" diagonal but maybe a little smaller.

The room has no windows so ambient light is extremely low.

I don't need onboard speakers and I only need 1 hdmi input as everything will be going through a receiver.

This will be mostly used for movies and nintendo wii but also some cable TV shows.

Any suggestions????

Thanks!

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
A Wii is not going to work with front projection, the gamer will get in the way of the projected image unless you get some kind of short throw projector and that will seriously limit your choices. That budget is just a little shy of my favorite display technology, LCOS. However heres a couple, from the runner-up technology of DLP, I would be considering in that price range...http://www.projectorcentral.com/optoma_hd25-lv_home_theater_projector_review.htmhttp://www.projectorcentral.com/benq_w1500_home_theater_projector_review.htmMy favorite screens, within your budget, would be Da Lite B Model. No frills manual pull down screen with great performance and available in several different materials. A cut above screens youll find from Elite or Favi.

JohnI

Grip
Are there any short throw projectors that would work with the wii and are in our budget? Only 7 foot ceilings too.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Along with the Benq W1080ST, the Benq W1070 will work, and the Benq W1500. It depends on how close to the screen you want projector to be. The W1080ST would need to be the closest to screen, about 6' for a 106" diagonal screen. The other 2 need to be about 8' to 10' from screen.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
How big is this room?Seating/gaming distance?If you need shorter than 7'. You have no other choice than the 1080ST. The Wii will not be played (much) from the seating.

JohnI

Grip
The room is very large. Seating can be very far back with plenty of room to wii in front of it. How far away from a 106" screen would people typically wii?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Why only 106" if the room is large?A 6' tall screen is 72". Leaves 6" tpo/bottom.More realistic is a 130", which leaves 10" top and bottom.

JohnI

Grip
There will be a cabinet shelf system beneath the screen that is 26" tall and very wide. So with 7 foot ceilings that allows about a 111" screen at max. This only allows the screen trim to be 2" and wouldn't allow anything to sit on top of the shelf at all. Thoughts?

With a 7ft ceiling and the bottom of the screen needing to be at least 26" off the ground how far back will the projector have to be mounted to avoid people blocking the projectors beam while playing nintendo wii and xbox connect?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You need to provide a picture of the issues here.

There is no reason a screen can't come down in front of whatever this stand is. Then whatever sits on it is irrelevant...it will just be behind it. Cause it would make sense to do a display behind the screen as well.

26" is almost too high off the floor anyway.

JohnI

Grip
They want a fixed screen mounted to the wall above the 26" tall cabinet. This is a large finished basement with no windows and is dedicated to movies and video games.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So, in other words...the projector and screen are afterthoughts...instead of doing those...the right way...and arranging the room around them.

IF that is what they want, sure. Find out how far forward the projector has to be so it is not obstructed by people standing up to play the Wii.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
JohnI said:
I mean how far back can it go before people block it.
Depends on how tall they are and how high they can jump.

bottom of the screen needing to be at least 26"
Average seating height is about 36", bottom of the screen at 26" is damn-near perfect.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
bottom of the screen needing to be at least 26"
Average seating height is about 36", bottom of the screen at 26" is damn-near perfect.

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]For those that don't do AT screens.[/color]

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
schan1269 said:

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]For those that don't do AT screens.[/color]
Who said anything about AT? So far all the OP has mentioned is a on-wall screen.

The point is I have a 106" in my livingroom that extends to exactly 26" from the floor, and it says its not even close to too high (even if I did throw a speaker behind it).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm also considering a projector upgrade. My Optoma H27 is about 7 years old and the bulb is just reaching its projected end of life at about 3000 hours.

I can spend about $200 on a new bulb, or upgrade to new HD and 3D capability for a few hundred more. I've loved this projector, so a new bulb would be fine with me, but there's always that "upgrade" itch. :D

I was looking at the BenQ 1070 at Amazon. It seems like a good deal and has lots of good reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks