Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New to 3-D-- Glasses question

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   Jon Bell

Jon Bell

Stunt Coordinator

• 170 posts

Posted January 30 2014 - 07:54 AM

Hi guys- I've been off this forum for a while, and I've come back because I'm doing an across-the-board upgrade of my setup.

I've purchased a Panasonic ae-8000u 3d projector, and the seller added 2 pairs of Xpand 3d glasses to the bundle.  I've been looking on Amazon at the 3d glasses, and they range from $20 to >$100 for active shutter glasses.  There is very little in the product descriptions about what brands/ models they are compatible with.

I don't expect to use the 3d a lot, but when I do, I'm likely to have more than 2 viewers, so I'd like to get at least 3 more pairs.

Does anyone have any experience with the cheaper versions?

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted February 03 2014 - 03:16 PM

Sadly, in the realm of active shutter 3D glasses, the maxim, " you get what you pay for" reigns. If glasses are in the $20-49 range, they are likely non-rechargeable, meaning a hefty investment in batteries over time. $50 and above are generally rechargeable, but pay close attention: the AE-8000U uses IR glasses, so you've got to make sure that whatever glasses you buy support IR, as RF glasses will not work. A Google search may assist; failing that, look into the Xpand model you already have. The X104 Youniversals appear to be compatible with the 8000U, but they run about $70 at Amazon.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users