What's new

Speaker cable! (1 Viewer)

Girish

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
girish
Would a 10AWG copper wire be good for my new Usher audio CP-8831diamonds? I ahve used 12 gauge in the pastbut last time it was 8 years ago!!

ciscoarizona

Auditioning
Depends on the length of wire that you need. If it's under 12 feet, 12ga will probably be okay. Just make sure it's pure copper. It would also depend on how many watts you are running.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One of the magazines did a blind listening test of the uber expensive wire ($100/foot and up) but snuck in an extension cord from Home Depot. It came in 2nd place.

Unless you are installing your receiver on the other end of the house the difference between 10 and 12 ga will not be noticable by your ears and probably not by any consumer level measuring gear. Also, I don't know of any terminals outside of subs that will accept wire that large.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I tried using 12ga once and it was to unwieldy for my tastes. I can't imagine trying to work with 10ga. I just stick with 14 and have never had any reason to want to change it out.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Speaking of subwoofer...Picked up another dead subwoofer this week. Rhythmik with a dead amp. Guy sold it cause he didn't like his plate amp options...;-) Took me 10 minutes(a bunch of screws) to clip the plug off the power cord. Unscrew the other end of the power cord from the connects. Wire crimp the former power cord to the driver leads.Man that hard...

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Home Depot/Lowes/Radio Shack 12AWG is more than sufficient for most applications. Make sure it is OFC (Oxygen Free Copper) and you'll be fine.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
schan1269 said:
Speaking of subwoofer...Picked up another dead subwoofer this week. Rhythmik with a dead amp. Guy sold it cause he didn't like his plate amp options...;-)Took me 10 minutes(a bunch of screws) to clip the plug off the power cord. Unscrew the other end of the power cord from the connects. Wire crimp the former power cord to the driver leads.Man that hard...
There was visible damage and fixing that was all it took to get it working?

I recently got a JVC X3 for $400 off ebay, "powers on but no lamp and untested." No feet, no remote, no power cord, no original box. But sadly, after throwing a spare lamp in it I already had for my RS60, it was a no-go. Ah well, win some and loose some. Got a full refund but I was sad I didnt come in on a great deal. A week later I finally, after much research, got a line on Osram (OEM) bare bulbs for the RS60. $120 shipped beats the hell out of $400, take that JVC :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks