What's new

Touch of Evil Limited Edition (Blu-ray Combo) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

51Sp4vzLvBL._SY300_.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
RUN TIME: 1 Hour 51 MinutesVIDEO RATING: PG-13DISC TYPE: BD-50 (Single Sided)LAYERS: SingleAUDIO: English DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 MonoSUBTITLES: English SDHFrenchSpanishBLACK & WHITEBONUS MATERIALS : • Digital Copy of Touch of Evil• Includes UltraViolet• Bringing Evil to Life• Evil Lost and Found• Theatrical Trailer• Reconstructed Version Commentary with Charlton Heston, Janet Leigh, and Reconstruction Producer Rick Schmidlin• Reconstructed Version Commentary with Reconstruction Producer Rick SchmidlinDisc 1 (Side A) (Feature 2)RUN TIME: 1 Hour 36 MinutesVIDEO RATING: Not RatedAUDIO: English DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 MonoSUBTITLES: English SDHSpanishFrenchBLACK & WHITEBONUS MATERIALS : • Theatrical Version Commentary with Writer/Filmmaker F.X. FeeneyDisc 1 (Side A) (Feature 3)RUN TIME: 1 Hour 49 MinutesVIDEO RATING: Not RatedAUDIO: English DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 MonoSUBTITLES: English SDHSpanishFrenchBLACK & WHITEBONUS MATERIALS : • Preview Version Commentary with Orson Welles Historians

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
So... a single disc with three cuts, four commentaries and special features? Can anyone say seamless branching?

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Stephen_J_H said:
So... a single disc with three cuts, four commentaries and special features? Can anyone say seamless branching?
Let's hope that's what they're doing.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I was unaware that there was a preview version of the film. Wouldn't the preview version be Welles' original cut? How does it differ from the reconstruction version ?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Garysb said:
I was unaware that there was a preview version of the film. Wouldn't the preview version be Welles' original cut? How does it differ from the reconstruction version ?
The so-called "Preview Version" is the cut that was on VHS for years. It was unearthed in 1976 and is NOT Welles' original cut.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Preview Version runs 1 hour 49 mins and contains some of Welles' requests
Theatrical version runs 1 hour 36 mins (and IMO is much less coherent)
Restored Version runs 1 hour 51 mins and keeps to Welles' 58 page memo

All this from the 2008 DVD.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I am assuming that for anyone who owns the superb UK release (which is a 2-disc set), this would be redundant...

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"What makes this a limited edition?"Not fully sure, but probably booklets and stuff. I'm sure that the actual BD discs stay in print.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Dick said:
I am assuming that for anyone who owns the superb UK release (which is a 2-disc set), this would be redundant...
Restored Version at the very least should be a new transfer from the recent 4K restoration.

Torsten Kaiser

Film Restoration & Preservation
Insider
Real Name
Brandon Conway said:
Restored Version at the very least should be a new transfer from the recent 4K restoration.
4K restoration ? Did I miss anything ? I don't think so.... As far as I know all masters date back to 2008 and 2010...and none of which is 4K, not even close; in fact all final masters of that title are in HD.

Torsten Kaiser

Insider
Real Name

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
A year seemed like a reasonable enough time for it to be. If it isn't then that makes little sense, as all three of those titles mentioned were just released a year after that statement was made. Having not seen any of the three discs myself I wouldn't know.Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Torsten Kaiser said:
ToE on (the U.S.) Blu-ray is certainly not of that "endevour", if it is already finished. The US version is merely different to the MoC or the other international Universal releases (such as France) in color [gradation] timing - and, of course, encode.
If Beaver's caps are accurate, the framing is different on the US release.

Torsten Kaiser

Insider
Real Name
Taken a look again, this time with a bit more time at hand (recommendation: one should always do that :rolleyes:). I stand corrected. Thanx for your input and my apologies.

The scan and the master is, indeed, a different one. However - and this was that initially (mis)lead me to my in this case incorrect earlier statement - the quality is barely comparable in most shots to the High Definition masters made predominantly in 2010 with merely some shots "benefiting" from the color re-timing.

In essence, the new master of the "reconstruction version" seems 4K by number and letter of the alphabet, and I highly doubt the scanner was one of the "ranking" ones. All indications at least of the grabs - provided these are, indeed, also representative of what's on disc - point to low grade models. Granted, the 35mm materials situation is not ideal with ToE but this particular result reminds me very much of recent titles issued under "4K" such as ROCKY, ROBOCOP*, or FARGO*. All (4K downconverts) compare about on equal level to Spirit HD native transfers as far as fine detail and texture are concerned. This is very much the same here, partly (due to the [in the cases incorrect] choices of color re-timing) the shots are even a bit more problematic. Only a couple are actually better in registration, albeit very, very slightly. With all titles mentioned the result with a "ranking" scanner such as NORTHLIGHT or IMAGICA would have been at least noticably better, if not profoundly*. Even with not quite as precise scanners such as ARRI, SCANITY or 4K SPIRIT the outcome, always provided proper scanning and color re-timing, would have preserved the fine detail not present in these "4K" scans.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
This stupid Universal disc won't let you freeze frame it without a stupid banner coming up! I take it the region 2 version doesn't have this problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks