-

Photo
- - - - -

USHE Announcement: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1963) (Blu-ray)

Universal

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 of 27 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,947 posts

Posted January 28 2014 - 11:49 AM

Headline Date: TBA
Release Date: 4/1/2014

KING KONG VS. GODZILLA

Product Source: Theatrical
Theatrical Studio: Universal
Theatrical Release: 6/26/1963
Synopsis: The Terrifying Battle Between The Mightiest Monsters of All Time! The two biggest monsters of all time battle in the thrilling adventure classic, King Kong vs. Godzilla. When an underhanded pharmaceutical company goes to a remote tropical island to steal King Kong for advertising purposes, they get more than they bargained for when the gigantic ape attacks an unsuspecting village and an enormous octopus. Meanwhile, far below the sea, a submarine crew unleashes reptilian terror when they melt a block of ice and release the ferocious Godzilla from his icy lair. When both destructive monsters descend on Tokyo, it's a fight that holds the future of mankind in the balance in this knock-out film that was the first theatrical release to bring its larger-than-life contenders to the big screen in glorious color.

Blu-ray Widescreen (61131623) : Disc 1 (Side A) 
 Format:  Blu-ray  UPC:  0-2519-22316-1-2
 Unit Type:  Standard  Number of Media:  1
 Street Date:  4/1/2014  PreOrder Date:   
 Run Time (HH:MM):  1 Hour 31 Minutes    
 Language:  English  Disc Type:  BD-50 (Single Sided)
 Packaging:  Snap Case  Layers:  Single
 Audio: English DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Mono

Subtitles:  English SDH

Edition:  -  Picture:  Widescreen
 Version:  -  Color/B&W COLOR 
 Rating:  Not Rated  CARA Rating:  -
 Bonus Features:   
DVD Widescreen (61028436) : Disc 1 (Side A) 
 Format:  DVD  UPC:  0-2519-28436-2-4
 Unit Type:  Standard  Number of Media:  -
 Street Date:  9/15/2009  PreOrder Date:   
 Run Time (HH:MM):  1 Hour 31 Minutes    
 Language:  English  Disc Type:  DVD-5 (Single Sided)
 Packaging:  Snap Case  Layers:  Single
 Audio: English Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono

Subtitles:  English SDH
French
Spanish

Edition:  -  Picture:  Anamorphic Widescreen
 Version:  -  Color/B&W COLOR 
 Rating:  Not Rated  CARA Rating:  -
 Bonus Features:   

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 27 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 28 2014 - 11:53 AM

Too bad they aren't including the Japanese cut. (In the US release, Godzilla's the villain and Kong is the "good guy;" in the Japanese version, it's the other way around!)

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#3 of 27 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,914 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted January 28 2014 - 11:55 AM

Oh Hell Yes!, could, UNI pull this off and give us both the Japaneese cut and the US cut? 

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#4 of 27 OFFLINE   EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 754 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted January 28 2014 - 11:58 AM

No Japanese version no sale. Sorry Uni.

(In the US release, Godzilla's the villain and Kong is the "good guy;" in the Japanese version, it's the other way around!)

This is not the case at all.

• Stephen_J_H likes this

#5 of 27 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,658 posts

Posted January 28 2014 - 12:04 PM

Same.  I'm really only interested in the Japanese version.

#6 of 27 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,947 posts

Posted January 28 2014 - 12:38 PM

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#7 of 27 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,519 posts

Posted January 28 2014 - 02:14 PM

I want to be excited that we're getting more Godzilla on Blu-ray, but... does Universal just not have the rights to the Japanese version? I would be willing to bet that the majority of people who would be interested in buying this film would want it.

"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#8 of 27 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,120 posts

Posted January 28 2014 - 02:42 PM

I want to be excited that we're getting more Godzilla on Blu-ray, but... does Universal just not have the rights to the Japanese version? I would be willing to bet that the majority of people who would be interested in buying this film would want it.

They do not, and I seem to recall hearing that because of the co-ownership of the film, Toho can't license the Japanese version overseas.

#9 of 27 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,028 posts

Posted January 28 2014 - 03:07 PM

Yes, it's totally out of Universal's hands and this is why we also won't ever see the Japanese version of "King Kong Escapes" in the US either.   

#10 of 27 OFFLINE   EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 754 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted January 28 2014 - 03:10 PM

That surely doesn't preclude Universal licensing the Japanese version themselves from Toho. Obviously a boutique label can't release it, but if Universal wanted to what would stop them?

#11 of 27 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,203 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 28 2014 - 03:14 PM

That surely doesn't preclude Universal licensing the Japanese version themselves from Toho. Obviously a boutique label can't release it, but if Universal wanted to what would stop them?

Toho could be asking too high of a price for Universal to be willing to pay, or refusing to renegotiate the terms. After all, the Universal US cut distribution deal from the 60s may rub modern Toho the wrong way. There's just no way to know what the current working relationship is between the two studios and where to assign any blame (likely shared to some degree) in regards to not getting the Japanese version released in the US.

• Randy Korstick likes this

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#12 of 27 OFFLINE   EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 754 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted January 28 2014 - 03:48 PM

I know we wouldn't expect a boutique label to take a risk like this, but I don't have much sympathy for Universal (i.e. Comcast, the largest mass media and communications company in the world by revenue) if they have to shell out a bit of dough to Toho.

This isn't just about giving whiney fans what they want. We live in an era where presenting films in their original, uncut form (along with OAR, original language track etc) is sacrosanct. But in 2014 this film is getting yet another release in some watered down butchered version.

As has been stated already, Universal are the only ones who can put this out properly. If they're not going to do it, I think they deserve my scorn. 

#13 of 27 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,896 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted January 28 2014 - 06:39 PM

these should be in a boxset or something and more complete. They're going to have to hit a mighty good sale before I bite.

#14 of 27 OFFLINE   Todd J Moore

Todd J Moore

Second Unit

• 337 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted January 28 2014 - 06:43 PM

I know this is a rotten movie, but I grew up loving it and I still love it. So, yeah, I'll be upgrading it to Blu Ray. Blast you, Universal!

Viewing a 3D movie in 2D is kinda like viewing a Scope movie in Pan and Scan.

#15 of 27 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,111 posts

Posted January 28 2014 - 10:11 PM

Oh brother. 

I know we wouldn't expect a boutique label to take a risk like this, but I don't have much sympathy for Universal (i.e. Comcast, the largest mass media and communications company in the world by revenue) if they have to shell out a bit of dough to Toho.

This isn't just about giving whiney fans what they want. We live in an era where presenting films in their original, uncut form (along with OAR, original language track etc) is sacrosanct. But in 2014 this film is getting yet another release in some watered down butchered version.

As has been stated already, Universal are the only ones who can put this out properly. If they're not going to do it, I think they deserve my scorn. 

#16 of 27 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,185 posts

Posted January 29 2014 - 05:34 AM

What huge cuts were made to Escapes? I thought we got that one pretty much intact. In any case Toho is notoriously hard to negotiate with and from what I gather original elements for vs. Godzilla aren't in great shape, and so it stands.

#17 of 27 OFFLINE   David Steigman

David Steigman

Second Unit

• 419 posts

Posted January 29 2014 - 06:48 AM

I think very little was butchered in KK Escapes...unlike KK vs Godzilla.It is too bad the Japanese versions arent included I am getting both of these anyway,  plus the other 3 Godzillas from Section 23 films

#18 of 27 OFFLINE   johnmcmasters

johnmcmasters

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted January 29 2014 - 08:47 AM

Years back when King Kong vs. Godzilla was released in Japan on LD and later on DVD, it was noted that both the LD and DVD contained chunks of the film from a 16mm print.  As I recall (and please correct me if this is inaccurate!) the reviews all said that a complete 35mm print and negative no longer existed -- those elements had been sent to the US for the preparation of the dubbed/cut version and the edited out sections were then lost and/or discarded.  So unless better elements have been discovered, the Japanese version will always be a bit compromised.  However...

The absence of the original Japanese version is also probably a deal breaker for me.  The US version, although sort of loveable in a goofy way, alters and twists many facets of the original Japanese film -- not the least of which is the slaughtering of the gorgeous Ifukube score.  I'll await reviews of this release before deciding whether or not to buy -- if it looks spectacular -- of course I'll be tempted.  But for any of these classic Japanese monster films, the absence of the original language version nixes their appeal for me.

• Everett Stallings likes this

#19 of 27 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 30 2014 - 11:52 AM

This is not the case at all.

Are you trying to tell me that my off-the-cuff memory of a film I haven't seen in nearly 40 years is not 100% accurate?!?!?!

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#20 of 27 OFFLINE   EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 754 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted January 30 2014 - 01:10 PM

Well, you were right to say that Kong is the good guy and Godzilla the villian in the U.S. version. So your memory is fine.

But that's also the case in the Japanese version.

• Aaron Silverman likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Universal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users