Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

German Releases In March - Prime Cut etc.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Brent Avery

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor

• 699 posts

Posted January 27 2014 - 01:30 PM

For those with Region free players like myself there are a few good titles coming out during Feb. / March in Germany:

Coogan's Bluff   ( 1968 )   Koch Media   Feb.20

Man Without A Star   ( 1955 )   Alive       Feb.28

Backlash   ( 1956 )        Alive              Feb.28

The Revengers  ( 1972 )   Explosive Media    March 7

Monte Walsh   ( 1970 )    Explosive Media    March 7

Prime Cut   ( 1972 )     Explosive Media    March 7

Violent City  ( 1970 )    Alive                       March 14

Bedazzled   ( 1967 )       Alive                      March 14

I hope to purchase all of them eventually, Explosive Media in particular seems to be bringing out nicely restored titles, such as the western Bandolero! which looks great.

#2 of 10 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,864 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted January 27 2014 - 01:51 PM

'Twould be nice if Warner released Prime Cut on BD, even if it was an Archive release.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#3 of 10 Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,309 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted January 27 2014 - 02:10 PM

There's some good stuff released in Germany, but also some not so good stuff. Looking at Amazon Germany, I see the Blu-ray of the sixties movie Gambit is zoomed in from 'scope to 16:9, I thought that sort of thing was a thing of the past, esp. as a very nice HD 'scope version has been showing on UK TV. So best to read a report or two before ordering.

• FoxyMulder likes this

#4 of 10 Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,074 posts

Posted January 27 2014 - 05:57 PM

Paramount put out the DVD -- it was originally released theatrically by National General Pictures. I'm assuming they still have the rights. It would make a helluva Shout Factory title if they ever have another deal with Paramount (the way they did WALKING TALL).

'Twould be nice if Warner released Prime Cut on BD, even if it was an Archive release.

#5 of 10 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,864 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted January 27 2014 - 06:00 PM

Yes, but since Warner is handling an awful lot of Paramount titles from this era, and has several NGC titles in its own catalogue, more likely to be a Warner release than a Paramount one.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#6 of 10 Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,740 posts

Posted January 28 2014 - 02:27 AM

For those with Region free players like myself there are a few good titles coming out during Feb. / March in Germany:

Coogan's Bluff   ( 1968 )   Koch Media   Feb.20

The Coogan's Bluff DVD is a grain storm. I'm interested to know what this BRD looks like.

#7 of 10 AshJW

AshJW

Stunt Coordinator

• 109 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted January 28 2014 - 09:54 AM

The Coogan's Bluff DVD is a grain storm. I'm interested to know what this BRD looks like.

The question is: is it real grain, or is it digital noise?

If it's the latter, I hope they do/did something about it. Is it grain, I hope they keep their fingers away from the filters. :unsure:

what is the use of gadgets such as sound, color, widescreen or 3D
when there is a lack of good story, good actors and professionals behind the camera?

#8 of 10 Reggie W

Reggie W

Supporting Actor

• 617 posts

Posted January 28 2014 - 11:12 AM

If you are interested here is a fun little podcast about Prime Cut to listen to as you wait for the release of the blu-ray.

http://projection-bo...-prime-cut.html

#9 of 10 Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,740 posts

Posted January 29 2014 - 04:37 AM

The question is: is it real grain, or is it digital noise?

If it's the latter, I hope they do/did something about it. Is it grain, I hope they keep their fingers away from the filters. :unsure:

I don't know if it's grain or noise. What I do know is that film did not look like that when it was first released.

#10 of 10 Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,457 posts

Posted March 20 2014 - 08:09 AM

Any word yet on how any of these look?  LOVE PRIME CUT and MONTE WALSH, so those are my top priorities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users