What's new

Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes Blu Ray Question (1 Viewer)

Christian T Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Taylor Lee
Good Afternoon Everyone,

I have recently procured for myself a copy of the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes Complete Series on Blu Ray and have thoroughly enjoyed revisiting this series.

Mr. Brett’s performance has always been the gold standard for myself in his portrait of The Great Detective on screen and seeing it presented on Blu Ray has been rather thrilling. It is also a joy seeing Mr. Brett so active and vibrant as Sherlock again, I do so miss his portrayal.

I enjoy Mr. Cumberbatch very much and find the new take on the show very enjoyable, and Mr. Downey’s films are fun in a big popcorn event film sort of way, but Mr. Brett will always be my favorite.

Now I do so rarely post here as my knowledge of Home Theatre is rather small compared to others here, and I don’t want to look foolish or ask a redundant question, but I would really appreciate you opinions in this matter.

My question is this, in watching the first of the Tele-Movies entitled The Sign of Four I noticed that the frame seems to be much more open on the top and bottom, giving the whole show a much more open and airy feel then the Television series proper, so this got me thinking, is it at all possible that this was filmed in an open matte format for possible theatrical presentation in the U.K?

I have never heard of such a presentation but I was just curious.
I have always been a proponent of OAR so I have no interest in watching this in a zoomed or cropped manner but it just struck me as a rather different filming format then the show.

Anyway, any opinions would be welcome.

Thanks you all, and have a Wonderful Weekend!

Christian

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Christian, I can't answer your question, but I'd like to ask you a few. Is this the Spanish blu ray? Could you go into more detail about it? Do you ave a link to I?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They were shot on film, i have no idea how they look on blu ray though i understand the day for night scenes haven't been filtered correctly and it goes from noon to pitch black in the space of a single cut during the final chase sequence.

Christian T Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Taylor Lee
Johnny Angell said:
Christian, I can't answer your question, but I'd like to ask you a few. Is this the Spanish blu ray? Could you go into more detail about it? Do you ave a link to I?
Good Morning Johnny, Yes this is the Spanish blu ray I am referring to. The link I used to buy this is below. I am in Canada and had absolutely no issues with this order, I placed it on a Monday night and had it by Friday, very happy.

http://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B00DK9P9IG/ref=ox_ya_os_product

The transfers are uniformly excellent, with the last series The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes being presented in 16:9 which to my knowledge is the first time this has occurred. The rest of the series are presented in the original 4:3 format.

Over all it is a fantastic set, well worth the money. Menus are in Spanish however the episodes are presented with the original English soundtrack. all credits are also the original English.

if you have any further questions I would be pleased to answer them.

FoxyMulder, you heard correctly, in the Sign of Four during the boat chase the scene does go from afternoon to evening rather quickly but it really wasn't that distracting and considering the quality of the rest of the set I did not find this issue too troublesome.

Take care all,

Christian

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Christian, can you confirm this is a complete set? That it includes all the episodes and also the movies? Once I confirm this, I'm going to order it. BTW, how long and how much was shipping?

If you haven't found this thread, while not devoted to the Brett series, this thread does discuss it:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/328538-my-latest-lobby-for-blu-ray-release-hammers-1959-hound-of-the-baskervilles/page-2#entry4048581

You'll have to search through it some to find the comments pertaining to the Brett Series.

BTW, I hope you've been watching the BBC Sherlock with Benedict Cumberpatch. It is sensational.
Edit: reread your first post. You've been watching.

Christian T Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Taylor Lee
Johnny Angell said:
Christian, can you confirm this is a complete set? That it includes all the episodes and also the movies? Once I confirm this, I'm going to order it. BTW, how long and how much was shipping?

If you haven't found this thread, while not devoted to the Brett series, this thread does discuss it:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/328538-my-latest-lobby-for-blu-ray-release-hammers-1959-hound-of-the-baskervilles/page-2#entry4048581

You'll have to search through it some to find the comments pertaining to the Brett Series.

BTW, I hope you've been watching the BBC Sherlock with Benedict Cumberpatch. It is sensational.
Edit: reread your first post. You've been watching.
Good Morning again Johnny, shipping was about $20, a bit pricey but it was worth it.

Here is a list of all the episodes on the Spanish Blu Ray box set:

A Scandal in Bohemia
The Adventure of the Dancing Men
The Naval Treaty
The Adventure of the Solitary Cyclist
The Cooked Man
The Adventure of the Specked Band
The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle
The Adventure of the Copper Beeches
The Greek Interpreter
The Adventure of the Norwood Builder
The Resident Patient
The Red-Headed League
The Final Problem
The Adventure of the Empty House
The Adventure of the Abbey Grange
The Musgrave Ritual
The Adventure of the Second Stain
The Man with the Twisted Lip
The Adventure of the Six Napoleons
Silver Blaze
The Adventure of the Devil’s Foot
The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge
The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans
The Sign of Four
The Hound of Baskerville
The Master Blackmailer
The Last Vampyre
The Eligible Bachelor
The Disappearance of Lady Francis Carfax
The Problem of Thor Bridge
The Adventure of Shoscombe Old Place
The Boscombre Valley Mystery
The Adventure of the Illustrious Client
The Adventure of the Creeping Man
The Three Gables
The Dying Detective
The Golden Pince-Nez
The Red Circle
The Mazarin Stone
The Cardboard Box

Take care
Christian

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just realized that I failed to return to this thread and post my impressions of the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes on blu-ray: WOW!

I have never seen it look this good, whether watching it for the first time on SD TV on it's original telecast or on DVD. I had always assumed the source materials were poor, at least after watching the DVDs. They always seemed so dark. Night scenes were sometimes a guessing game as to what was going on.

We've watched about 8 episodes and each has been a visual treat. Brighter and crystal sharp (but not sharpened). In closeups, individual hairs and skin pores can be seen. This was never a colorful series, but the color here seems very normal and appropriate.

Brett's Holmes is one of the few TV shows (or films) that my wife has cared enough about to want to own. When I told her about the Spanish version and the reviews it was getting, she wondered why I hand't ordered it yet. She has not been disappointed.

The disc menus show the episode titles in Spanish only, but the cases list the episode titles in both Spanish and English so it's easy to select the right episode. The discs default to Spanish audio, but I just choose the audio button to switch to English. The sound is fine, but it's an old TV show, it's not a reference audio disc nor did I expect it to be one. There are no subtitles that I cold find. My one disappointment.

If I had to rank all of my blu-rays by value ($$ spent for quality received), this has to be in my top 5. If they ever release it in the US, it'll probably cost twice as much.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks