Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Khartoum & Zulu -- in Blu-ray

Blu-ray Twilight Time A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 of 92 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,548 posts

Posted January 24 2014 - 11:27 AM

Twilight Time has released two large format productions on January 22, which with large format being as rare as hen's teeth is quite the coup.

Zulu, a 1964 production, directed by Cy Endfield, was photographed in Technirama. Interestingly, the main credits reference Super Technirama 70, which points toward the negative used for the 35 reduction being that produced for 70mm printing. Most large format films had multiple main title sequences -- generally at least one for large format printing, and another for 35mm.

Zulu is one of those Blu-ray that will look fine from a nominal distance, but has a slight bit of ringing, and is slightly sharpened. The sharpening was probably not necessary.

All other image properties are proper.

The other production, Basil Dearden's Khartoum (1966), was shot in Ultra-Panavision 70. And appearing to be sourced from a 65mm element, the imagery in Khartoum is superior to that of its release-mate.

Both films make it obvious that their roots are large format cinematography. Khartoum was photographed by Edward (Ted) Scaife.

Both films have, as their central focus, huge battles, both of which are quite extraordinary set-pieces. This, set against the politics of the Empire.

While I've always had a slight predilection toward Khartoum, Zulu may be the better film. And for those who enjoy Zulu, the next stop should be the prequel, Zulu Dawn.

Both films are huge productions, which use large format to the fullest degree.

While I wish that the stereo on both was discreet in place of matrixed, the audio on both is requisitely full, crisp, and as designed - big.

Zulu

Image - 3.5

Audio - 4.0

Khartoum

Image - 4

Audio - 4

Both are Recommended.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 92 OFFLINE   EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 802 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted January 24 2014 - 12:12 PM

Zulu is one of those Blu-ray that will look fine from a nominal distance, but has a slight bit of ringing, and is slightly sharpened.  The sharpening was probably not necessary.

All other image properties are proper.

Even the colour?

#3 of 92 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,548 posts

Posted January 24 2014 - 12:41 PM

Even the colour?

Didn't have a problem with the colour.  It was of a constant and single palette.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#4 of 92 OFFLINE   davidHartzog

davidHartzog

Second Unit

• 454 posts
  • Locationupstate NY

Posted January 24 2014 - 01:12 PM

I thought Khartoum looked pretty good. I stuck with the UK release of Zulu.
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

#5 of 92 OFFLINE   Eastmancolor

Eastmancolor

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted January 24 2014 - 02:21 PM

I scanned thru KHARTOUM last night and thought it looked quite lovely.  Excellent color and really nice detail.  Looking forward to watching it in its entirety this weekend. 

Sounded very nice too, even without the original mix being available.

Being a film collector of yore, I can remember seeing 16mm prints of this title going for $400 or more around 20 years ago.  And most of the prints were flat 1.33 for TV!  It's amazing what you can get nowadays for $30!

• Jack K likes this

#6 of 92 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,780 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted January 24 2014 - 02:29 PM

Watched KHARTOUM last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I give it a thumbs up on transfer and sound.

I saw this in its original release when I was around 10 (Eastwood Mall - Birmingham, AL). The ending stayed with me for years and I was always talking about it. It's still disturbing but not as terrifying as it was for a boy of 10.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#7 of 92 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,413 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted January 24 2014 - 02:31 PM

POPULAR

Being a film collector of yore, I can remember seeing 16mm prints of this title going for $400 or more around 20 years ago.  And most of the prints were flat 1.33 for TV!  It's amazing what you can get nowadays for $30!

So true.  It's amazing how jaded and entitled many of us have become when it comes to what we want for very little money.  I'm usually more than delighted with what I've gotten for my money in my dvd and blu-ray collections.  Things I never dreamed of owning when I was younger.  And in MUCH better quality than there was back then.  We take so much for granted today.  Too much.

• Mark Walker, Robert Harris, Rob_Ray and 8 others like this

#8 of 92 ONLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 761 posts

Posted January 24 2014 - 03:19 PM

POPULAR

Hey John, I know you hang out on the TV board, too, so you know there is a poster there who is often accused of being "blunt"; but on some level I can understand why somebody who put in years and years and years of "sweat equity" as a "tape trader" would look at the rest of us and say "you guys really have it easy these days".
  • JohnMor, Richard V and davidmatychuk like this

#9 of 92 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,099 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted January 24 2014 - 04:06 PM

POPULAR

Hey John, I know you hang out on the TV board, too, so you know there is a poster there who is often accused of being "blunt"; but on some level I can understand why somebody who put in years and years and years of "sweat equity" as a "tape trader" would look at the rest of us and say "you guys really have it easy these days".

Back in the day when laserdisc was the premier medium for home video, most titles were priced at $39.95 MSRP and box sets were $79-$100 or more. Twilight Time Blu-rays are bargains by comparison.

• Neil S. Bulk, Adam Gregorich, TravisR and 5 others like this
Rich Gallagher

#10 of 92 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,539 posts

Posted January 24 2014 - 04:24 PM

I think I paid $69.99 for the Criterion laserdisc of Zulu when it was first released.

#11 of 92 OFFLINE   zoetmb

zoetmb

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted January 24 2014 - 05:23 PM

So true.  It's amazing how jaded and entitled many of us have become when it comes to what we want for very little money.  I'm usually more than delighted with what I've gotten for my money in my dvd and blu-ray collections.  Things I never dreamed of owning when I was younger.  And in MUCH better quality than there was back then.  We take so much for granted today.  Too much.

Way back in 1959, Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine used to offer a 50-foot 8mm silent version of The Phantom of the Opera (and I suspect a pretty poor quality print) for $4.95 (or for $5.95 in 16mm).  That works out to about 4 minutes of footage, depending upon the projection speed.   That $4.95 in 1959 is $39.63 today and that $5.95 for the 16mm version is $47.63 in today's dollars.  All for what amounts to a poor quality silent trailer.

IIRC, back in the 1960s, decades old very used 16mm prints of b-movies used to cost around $200 from places like Peerless-Willoughbys.   Using 1965 as the baseline, that's $1479 per movie in today's dollars.    

Not to mention how much laserdisc and early VHS movies used to cost.  A $35 laserdisc in 1980 is $99 in today's dollars. 

Yes, we've gotten very spoiled (including myself).    There are times when I hesitate to spend even $13 on a BD.

• Jack K likes this

#12 of 92 OFFLINE   Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter

• 1,039 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted January 24 2014 - 05:29 PM

POPULAR

Back in the day when laserdisc was the premier medium for home video, most titles were priced at $39.95 MSRP and box sets were $79-$100 or more. Twilight Time Blu-rays are bargains by comparison.

On a price-per-inch basis, there's no comparison - Laserdisc was a bargain compared to Blu-ray. $39.95 for a 12 inch disc versus $30 for a measly 4.7 inch disc? Forget about it. Twilight Time needs to either increase disc sizes, or lower their prices.

• Neil S. Bulk, Ferdinand Hudson, JoeDoakes and 2 others like this

#13 of 92 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,780 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted January 24 2014 - 06:58 PM

On a price-per-inch basis, there's no comparison - Laserdisc was a bargain compared to Blu-ray. $39.95 for a 12 inch disc versus $30 for a measly 4.7 inch disc? Forget about it. Twilight Time needs to either increase disc sizes, or lower their prices.

Should there a smiley face at the end of this post or are you serious? I much rather spend $30.00 on Twlight Blu release that is widescreen and fills today's screen than $39.00 on widescreen non-anamorphic laser without the detail and if over two hours long you had to change discs.
  • Richard V likes this
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#14 of 92 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,099 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted January 24 2014 - 08:07 PM

POPULAR

Should there a smiley face at the end of this post or are you serious? I much rather spend $30.00 on Twlight Blu release that is widescreen and fills today's screen than $39.00 on widescreen non-anamorphic laser without the detail and if over two hours long you had to change discs.

I'm pretty sure that was tongue in cheek.

• Neil S. Bulk, ahollis and Richard V like this
Rich Gallagher

#15 of 92 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,780 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted January 24 2014 - 08:31 PM

I'm pretty sure that was tongue in cheek.

Thanks. I was hoping so. But sometimes you just don't know.

#16 of 92 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,135 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted January 24 2014 - 10:10 PM

That was my BIG larff for the day! I want a t-shirt. :D

#17 of 92 OFFLINE   Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter

• 1,039 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted January 24 2014 - 10:52 PM

That's it, I'm off to Blu-ray.com where my valid points regarding Twilight Time's unconscionable business practices will be better appreciated.

• Richard V likes this

#18 of 92 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,135 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted January 24 2014 - 11:17 PM

Are you off in a snit? Or a huff? ;)

#19 of 92 OFFLINE   BJQ1972

BJQ1972

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted January 25 2014 - 01:25 AM

Are you off in a snit? Or a huff? ;)

He seems to have spat his dummy out and left in a fit of pique!

#20 of 92 OFFLINE   DP 70

DP 70

Second Unit

• 436 posts

Posted January 25 2014 - 02:11 AM

Hi Mr Harris , What makes you think Khartoum was sourced from a 35mm scope element?

many thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray, Twilight Time, A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users