What's new

WSJ goes on record with rumors saying bigger iPhones coming this year (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sam,

Oh, I read many articles today on this....

....and I certainly thought of you. You are the biggest naysayer we have here.

I am betting on bigger phone from Apple.

I think they realize that perhaps its time to catch up with the changing times....

....no matter what the naysayers think.

One of us will be right. One will be wrong. Let's see in a few months.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You bet. I'm due for upgrade in June so looking forward to what they have cooking up. I've used multiple large phones in the past few months and I haven't changed my stance yet, they have been universally horrible to use. What they don't have on their side is the kind of twist that Apple put in on the 5, I can use the tall stuff no problem, the width is what kills it. I can't believe Apple will backtrack completely here without some compelling reason. "Everyone else is doing it and consumers want it" is not compelling. We'll see!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
An older population could better served by a larger phone. iPhone defaults are hard to read without perfect vision. Increasing font size is a loss of effective screen space.If there's a bigger iPhone, I expect more pixels at the current density. I don't believe they'll lower pixel density simply to make a larger, but otherwise unchanged screen. Unless all they want is a geezer phone, and no other benefits from a larger screen.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Regardless of what some in this forum think Apple is just like any other company in that they are concerned about market share and if their research shows they have lost share because of screen size they will eventually come out with a screen to recapture the lost shares.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I don't really care if they make a 6" or larger screen as long as they also continue to make 4" screens. Some of us have smaller hands and enjoy a smaller phone. If Apple keeps a smaller iPhone, I'll upgrade to it when the 6 comes out and I'm due for a refresh. If they go all phablet, I'll keep my 4s.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Sam Posten said:
Well, now that you mention it, here is a reason why a big screen could be important.
http://www.cultofmac.com/264138/iphone-6-feature-solar-powered-sapphire-glass-display-rumor/?utm_campaign=twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

Would that be worth a setback in one handed use tho?
Interesting. Personally, after using it on my current phone, I rather have wireless charging than solar charging.

I keep waffling back and forth on if I would leave Android and go back to iOS. I will say cool technology is one sure way to convince me. :)

-Keith

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I would probably go back to IOS for an iPhone that is over 5" in screen size.

I do like Android and the fact that I can customize this phone to my heart's content.

On the other hand, having so many Apple devices, you tend to lose the flawless
sync ability that IOS provides.

It would still be tough to go back to the closed IOS environment, as really, I do
like Android -- despite many telling me initially that I wouldn't.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Not a fan of big phones. I think that the phablets look even dumber than the Gordon Gekko phone, which was a product of its time.

I carry my grandfathered unlimited data iPad with me anytime I carry my messenger bag which is most of the time. For the iPhone, the smaller the better. I take it out when walking down the street for one handed operation/Siri/dictation or if the subway is too crowded for anything else. For all of these purposes a smaller screen is better.

I also think that large phones are horrible for women, who on the average have smaller hands, smaller jean pockets. The iPhone is especially popular with women for a reason. The tech industry is very male oriented, Apple being no exception, and I worry about this.

At the least they would do well to read this: https://medium.com/technology-and-society/a26c6bee1b69

I am not against choice, but I would want Apple to keep offering their top of the line internals (CPU, flash storage max, camera, etc) in a 3.5" or 4" screen format.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
We are up for new phones. I like the GS3 but wouldn't mind one that is a little bigger.If apple puts that 5.5 size I will be tempted.My wife after nearly two years has still not gotten the hang of the GS3 or more so Android.So she wants to go back to iPhone. Any time frame for the next iPhones?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Any time frame for the next iPhones?
Based on rumors...July.

If iPhone were to be released with a 5.5 screen I would
be tempted to return to the brand.

However, I really do love my Android. I am able to customize
it to my heart's content.

Really, it would be hard to pick a better phone once you
equalize the wanted screen size.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Based on the almost every iPhone made, sometime July - September :)I don't believe there will be two new sizes, a giant and a mongo size. Doesn't make any sense to me. One new size, ok.But will it be existing resolution made larger (bigger pixels) or new format (more pixels)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks