Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

TCFHE Press Release: 14 New Fox Cinema Archives Classics For The New Year 2014

Fox BD/DVD Press Release

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,553 posts

Posted January 23 2014 - 07:26 AM

TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX HOME ENTERTAINMENT
FOX CINEMA ARCHIVES USHERS IN CLASSIC FILMS ON
DVD FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME

14 Classics Arrive on DVD to Start the New Year

LOS ANGELES, CA (January 23, 2014) – Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment is releasing their latest selection of classic films on DVD from their popular Fox Cinema Archivescollection beginning today through February 25Launched in 2012, Fox Cinema Archivesalready includes more than 200 classic films drawing from the studio’s deep vault of movies. The collection dives into the studio’s rich catalog to resurrect some of the most memorable films from the 1930s, 40s and 50s.

In the coming weeks, 14 essential titles will be added to Fox Cinema Archives, including classic war dramas, comedies and musicals, giving film buffs the opportunity to enhance their collection by purchasing a variety of iconic films at major top-tier retailers. The release schedule for this wave of titles can be seen below.

Providing the best home entertainment experience possible, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment is committed to bringing classic films from the studio’s vault into the homes of film aficionados and collectors with its Fox Cinema Archives collection. We aim to provide the best home entertainment experience possible for titles released under the Fox Cinema Archivesbanner, but are often limited to the film’s available source material.

Available Now

In Love and War (1958), 111 min.
Three Marines take shore leave in San Francisco in Phillip Dunne’s World War II drama starring Golden Globe® winner1 Dana Wynter alongside Robert Wagner, Jeffrey Hunter and Bradford Dillman. Between a dysfunctional family, pregnant fiancée and wild girlfriend, each marine must choose whether to make the best of their situation or escape.

Island in the Sky (1938), 67 min.
Academy Award®-nominated actress2 Gloria Stuart plays Julie Hayes, a woman convinced the man her fiancé, Michael Fraser, Asst. D.A. (Michael Whalen) helped convict of murder is innocent of the crime. Julie postpones their wedding, and then seeks a former gangster to help save the life of the innocent man.

The Glory Brigade (1953), 81 min.
Victor Mature, Alexander Scourby and Richard Egan star in Robert D. Webb’s Golden Globe –winning film3. During the Korean War, a Greek-American Lieutenant wrongly blames the Greek troops he has volunteered to lead for the death of his own men.

January 28

Danger: Love at Work (1937), 81 min.
In Otto Preminger’s screwball comedy, an ineffectual attorney must convince an eccentric family to close an important land deal and ends up marrying the only sane member of the bunch. The film stars Academy Award®-nominated actress4 Ann Sothern with Jack Haley and Edward Everett Horton.

Home in Indiana (1944), 103 min.
Lon McCallister plays a teenager with a penchant for trouble sent to live with his aunt and uncle in Indiana, where he discovers a love for horses. Based on George Agnew’s story The Phantom Filly, this Academy Award®-nominated film5 also stars Walter Brennan, Jeanne Crain, June Haver and Charlotte Greenwood.

City of Bad Men (1953), 81 min.
In Harmon Jones’ Western film, gangs of outlaws converge on 1897 Carson City, planning to rob the box office of a high profile prizefight. The noteworthy cast includes Dale Robertson, Jeanne Crain and Richard Boone.

February 4

Pride of St. Louis (1952), 92 min.
A biopic based on the life of Major League Baseball Hall of Fame pitching ace ‘Dizzy’ Dean, following his bumpy rise from minor leaguer to World Series great, to beloved broadcaster. This Academy Award®-nominated film6 stars Dan Dailey as Dizzy Dean.

Follow the Sun (1951), 93 min.
Glenn Ford plays Ben Hogan in the inspiring biographical film of the golf legend. The film also stars Anne Baxter and many sports figures of the day, including Jimmy Demaret, Carry Middlecoff, Grantland Rice and Sam Snead.

February 11

Five Fingers (1952), 107 min.
The valet to the British ambassador in Turkey during WWII decides to improve his lot by selling his employer's top-secret documents to the Nazis in this classic spy film starring James Mason. Based on the true story of Elyesa Bazna, one of the most famous spies of World War II, the film was nominated for two7 Academy Awards®.

The Great Profile (1940), 70 min.
John Barrymore stars in this semi-autobiographical film about the dysfunctional life of a self-destructive actor. Directed by Academy Award®-nominated director8 Walter Lang, the film stars John Barrymore and John Payne.

February 18

Margin for Error (1943), 74 min.
When a Nazi consul who was embezzling funds from the German consulate turns up dead, a Jewish policeman exonerates his wife and partner of the crime. Otto Preminger, Joan Bennett and Milton Berle star in this adaptation of the 1939 play of the same title by Claire Boothe Luce.

Mother Wore Tights (1947), 107 min.
Dan Dailey and Betty Grable star as a young man and woman, whom team up as performers during the age of vaudeville and soon fall in love. The story of their rise to fame, and the subsequent professional and personal setbacks, is told in flashback and set against a rousing musical score.

February 25

Wild on the Beach (1965), 76 min.
Its Spring Break 60s style as two unfamiliar groups of college kids, one male and the other female, arrive at the same beach house on the same weekend. Featuring memorable musical acts,Wild on the Beach is also the film debut of Sonny & Cher.

Sing, Baby, Sing (1936), 87 min.
At the insistence of her manager, a nightclub singer tricks a drunken movie star into thinking they’ve had a relationship. The musical features Alice Faye, Adolphe Menjou and Gregory Ratoff.

1Most Promising Newcomer (1956)
2Best Supporting Actress – Titanic (1997)
3Most Promising Newcomer – Richard Egan (1953) 
4Best Supporting Actress – The Whales of August (1987)
5Best Cinematography, Color – Home in Indiana (1945)
6Best Story (1953)
7Best Director & Best Screenplay (1953)
8Best Director - Best Director – The King and I (1957)

# # #

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 33 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,575 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 23 2014 - 08:54 AM

POPULAR

There are some very good films in this list, but I must express my disappointment that Mother Wore Tights is only getting a DVD release. It was one of the 1940s Vote Your Choice candidates last year which means Fox must have an HD master for it ready. I would much rather have one of Betty Grable's best musicals on Blu-ray rather than an MOD/DVD of it.

• Eric Vedowski, Rob_Ray, David Weicker and 4 others like this

#3 of 33 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,842 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted January 23 2014 - 09:47 AM

There are some very good films in this list, but I must express my disappointment that Mother Wore Tights is only getting a DVD release. It was one of the 1940s Vote Your Choice candidates last year which means Fox must have an HD master for it ready. I would much rather have one of Betty Grable's best musicals on Blu-ray rather than an MOD/DVD of it.

My thought exactly.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#4 of 33 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,934 posts

Posted January 23 2014 - 09:49 AM

FOX   ENOUGH  !!!!!!

A film I have long wanted is in this group - In love and War.

Fox press release says release relies on the best elements available.

Fox released this title  around the world, in wide screen and stereo.

I have it on cdr rom two different sources,   old Cinemax, pan scan stereo,

and later,  FXM from letterbox mono.

I tried to mix the two, but the stereo one was digitally speedup, so no go.

What to do?  We all hoped that FOX would go into on demand but that is pointless.

Twilight Time seemed to be the answer orinally atleast one fox title a month, bt they don't do that anymore as they are involved with other studios.

Fox, I personally wish I could get who is behind your program behind and kick some ass.

Seems harsh, but you guys have proved once again, that you do not care about us.

#5 of 33 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted January 23 2014 - 09:54 AM

Again, mostly pre-widecreen which is good.  In agreement with Mother Wore Tights.  Let's at least hope that this new MOD is derived from that proposed HD transfer and not from something much older, like Swanee River for instance.

Five Fingers was pending for a TT release, but they eventually dropped it due to poor elements.  I wouldn't expect too much from this release.

Most surprising of all--Fox owned The Great Profile??  I always though that it ended up with Castle Hill like most of the Walter Wanger productions.  It should be interesting to see what materializes on the MOD.

I'm still leery about their widescreen films.  In Love and War is showing some warning signs (hopefully false) while Wild On the Beach could also potentially be P&S.  It would be disappointing for Fox to blow these after finally regaining some shred of credibility with 12 MIle Reef.

#6 of 33 OFFLINE   Miguel M Santos

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted January 23 2014 - 01:50 PM

FIVE FINGERS had several releases across R2 (fantastic film btw) and the BFI in the UK released the Preminger a few years back as well.

#7 of 33 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 769 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted January 23 2014 - 02:08 PM

No Best Picture Nominees... boo!

I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#8 of 33 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,541 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted January 23 2014 - 02:21 PM

Pleased to see another early Alice Faye title with "Sing, Baby, Sing" 

Let's hope it looks a lot better than "George White's 1935 Scandals"

#9 of 33 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted January 23 2014 - 07:52 PM

Interested in seeing Glory Brigade and Five Fingers.

#10 of 33 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,903 posts

Posted January 24 2014 - 03:27 AM

FOX   ENOUGH  !!!!!!

A film I have long wanted is in this group - In love and War.

Fox press release says release relies on the best elements available.

Fox released this title  around the world, in wide screen and stereo.

I have it on cdr rom two different sources,   old Cinemax, pan scan stereo,

and later,  FXM from letterbox mono.

I tried to mix the two, but the stereo one was digitally speedup, so no go.

What to do?  We all hoped that FOX would go into on demand but that is pointless.

Twilight Time seemed to be the answer orinally atleast one fox title a month, bt they don't do that anymore as they are involved with other studios.

Fox, I personally wish I could get who is behind your program behind and kick some ass.

Seems harsh, but you guys have proved once again, that you do not care about us.

The Spanish DVD is non-anamorphic widescreen. I just hope Fox do not simply recycle that transfer. I want them to do an entirely new transfer. I they do, I will buy their disc even if the soundtrack is mono.

I have a Region 2 DVD of Five Fingers. It's not very good but it's certainly watchable. It doesn't ruin the film, so this new MOD will probably be better than nothing for fans of the movie.

Delighted, absolutely delighted about Home In Indiana, the forerunner of April Love. I hope desperately that Fox can release a decent disc. And I'm more than interested in Mother Wore Tights. Haven't seen this one for such a long time.

#11 of 33 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted January 26 2014 - 08:27 AM

I'm most excited about Follow the Sun here, that's one I've been wanting for a long time. I am also disappointed, however, to see Mother Wore Tights getting the shaft. I guess Bette Grable just doesn't sell units anymore.

#12 of 33 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,308 posts

Posted January 26 2014 - 03:25 PM

I guess Bette Grable just doesn't sell units anymore.

Anymore? She never did. Her pressed box set was one of their poorest selling in Fox's history which is why there never was a volume 2. Even Esther Williams got two pressed box sets.

• ahollis likes this

#13 of 33 OFFLINE   Everett Stallings

Everett Stallings

Second Unit

• 393 posts
  • LocationWilmington,De

Posted February 06 2014 - 07:33 AM

Anymore? She never did. Her pressed box set was one of their poorest selling in Fox's history which is why there never was a volume 2. Even Esther Williams got two pressed box sets.

I have that set.

• Suzanne.S likes this
Former projectionist @ all downtown theatres in Balto. City.Which are all closed. frown.gif

#14 of 33 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,842 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted February 06 2014 - 10:15 AM

That was a shame. I have and enjoy that box set and did desire more. While the transfers of her titles in Fox Cinema Classics have been good to bad, I'm glad to at least have more titles.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#15 of 33 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,112 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted February 23 2014 - 05:27 PM

Has anybody viewed Five Fingers yet?

Rich Gallagher

#16 of 33 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,670 posts

Posted February 23 2014 - 06:44 PM

Or Mother Wore Tights?

#17 of 33 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,842 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted February 23 2014 - 07:47 PM

Or Mother Wore Tights?

Just finished and it looked very good to me. Since it was on the Fox Vote list last year, I was not scared of this title. It sure is a fun film.
  • Robin9 likes this

#18 of 33 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted February 23 2014 - 10:53 PM

Just finished and it looked very good to me. Since it was on the Fox Vote list last year, I was not scared of this title. It sure is a fun film.

So does it look like it was derived from a recent HD master?

#19 of 33 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,842 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted February 24 2014 - 07:12 AM

So does it look like it was derived from a recent HD master?

In my non-expert opinion I would say yes. The colors are rich, as are the blacks which show detail. Flesh colors look natural and boy, does Betty Grable's legs look outstanding. The sound is clear and crisp with some hiss, but it is not annoying. You can tell that there was some love given this transfer.

To bad this ended up in Fox Archives for it would make a wonderful Blu-ray.
  • JoHud likes this

#20 of 33 OFFLINE   JoelA

JoelA

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts
  • LocationThe Western Reserve, Cleveland, OH

Posted February 24 2014 - 08:16 AM

In my non-expert opinion I would say yes. The colors are rich, as are the blacks which show detail. Flesh colors look natural and boy, does Betty Grable's legs look outstanding. The sound is clear and crisp with some hiss, but it is not annoying. You can tell that there was some love given this transfer. To bad this ended up in Fox Archives for it would make a wonderful Blu-ray.

Thanks for the confirmation that Mother Wore Tights looks good in its dvd debut. I was hopeful that this title would be released on blu, also, along with Springtime in the Rockies and Billy Rose's Diamond Horseshoe. Now I'm sure we'll see these two titles show up in the Fox Archives as well.

• ahollis likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fox, BD/DVD Press Release

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users