Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Laptop or separate AV Receiver (preamp only) system

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   NicM

NicM

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted January 22 2014 - 11:30 PM

I’m not sure how to present this, but I’m trying to decide which way is best and need expert advice:I have a home 5.1 recording studio setup running CuBase & Adobe Premier, and scrapped the idea of changing from my MOTU 1010 PCI sound card to a Presonus (Firewire) Firebox card – 4 in/ 6 out (to replace my desktop with a laptop). I also have 6 near-field Active studio speakers spare (4 KRK 5’s – 2 Alesis M1 Mk2’s and a 10 inch KRK sub). I bought the speakers a while back as I wasn’t sure how my four ‘original 1952 Harry Olson RCA LC-1A drivers would perform – needless to say ||| AWSOME’So my question re: a surround sound system for my lounge: (I also need to be able to review my recordings outside the studio).Do I purchase a second-hand el’cheapo laptop to run the system, or buy a separate AV Receiver (preamp only) system, and if the latter, which model would you suggest?Please advise.

Note: What is the point of running premier hi-end audio equipment in an acoustically untreated room.........

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 15,709 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted January 23 2014 - 05:41 PM

Emotiva or Outlaw pre-amp. Both brands have one under $600.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Type A

Type A

Supporting Actor

• 800 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted January 23 2014 - 06:18 PM

Note: What is the point of running premier hi-end audio equipment in an acoustically untreated room.........

Much in the same way that LCD displays have put plasma out of business, it serves to help further our understanding of the term 'irony.'  And welcome to the forum Nic :)

JVC DLA-RS60U3D & DaLite High Power 106"
Paradigm Studio V.5 20 (5) & ADP590 (2)  
Hsu VTF-2 MK3 (2) & MBM-12 MK2 (2)

Yamaha RX-A3010 & Emotiva XPA5
Oppo BDP93 & Darbee DVP 5000

*My Home Theater Photo Journal*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users