What's new

Sherlock Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Thoughts on the return of Sherlock on PBS's Masterpiece?

There seemed to be a lot of catching up to do given the long stretch between seasons, but for those who love the Sherlock-Watson relationship, I'm sure it was gold. Personally, I would have liked more attention on the case, as it seemed like a lot of set up and tying up of loose ends, albeit with a more clever approach than most.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I thought Season 3 was quite good. The
wedding
is hilarious, and the twists of the third episode are a surprise.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The third episode is the best; I didn't care so much for the wedding episode because for the first time in the whole series, I had the answer before Sherlock.. so I'm betting mentally I saw them use that trick in some other show/movie for me to leap to that conclusion. But, I loved the last episode.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Enjoyed the first episode and relished the various and varied reactions to Holmes' return. Nice to see Mycroft, too.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I enjoyed the entire third season, but it was just really strange throughout. I mean, yeah, the episodes were all fun, true. But there was something definitely missing from the formula of it this time.

I think a large part of it is that even though the third episode was by far the best (again), all three of the cases this year were terrible. It felt like in many ways they were trying to be too cute and clever and I think it hurt the quality of the episodes as a whole. It's like they were playing way too strongly towards amusing the internet fan base than actually being a good show. There were hints of things like this in the past, (the pun of Irene Adler's password in S2, for example), but in my mind, there was too much of it all around this year. Obviously don't want to get into details though without all three having aired on PBS though.

It was still enjoyable, but I felt all three episodes this year just paled in comparison to even the worst of the previous two seasons.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Agree with a lot of what is said here - I enjoyed this season for the Holmes/Watson dynamic which is still brilliantly done here and by far the best version IMO (Sherlock's return was really funny yet also touching and that is down to Cumberbatch and Freeman), but the core central problem is that there is less focus on the cases here, with the exception of the third episode which does actually have a case and villain worth watching. With only three episodes per season, this was inevitable after the fallout from Season 2 and so much to cover in the first episode, the introduction of a new character in Season 3 that also impacted on the dynamics between the characters and required development for the second episode which only really left the last one.

The last episode however pretty much dealt with all the loose ends and brought the season to a satisfactory end and set up an interesting Season 4...I suspect the cases may come to the forefront again.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I really enjoyed the entire third series; I think episode 2 was pretty much perfect. The strangeness of the season works very well with the way Sherlock was put off balance by Moriarty.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks